• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Recent purchase thread

Another very neat and professional looking install 👌

Do you have to get the system checked and tested by an Electrician?

We've done the Givenergy training course, you have to before they will sell to you.
I do everything myself and have a mate who is still running an electrician business check it over and issue a cert. that I keep next to the equipment for peace of mind.
At 3.6kW though you don't even need to let the grid know you have connected but anything above 3.6kW requires G99 approval.

We've done the Givenergy training course, you have to before they will sell to you.
I do everything myself and have a mate who is still running an electrician business check it over and issue a cert. that I keep next to the equipment for peace of mind.
At 3.6kW though you don't even need to let the grid know you have connected but anything above 3.6kW requires G99 approval.
Thank you. That's very useful to know!

To my mind this is the gap in the green energy / wind farm and solar push in UK, not just how do you cope when the sun does not shine or the wind blow, but what do you do when there's too much wind and sun. Any of these planning applications for new facilities should include a rechargeable battery system to cover such times (perhaps using electric car batteries past their useful date!!), recharging when "green" gives too much and discharging back to the grid when needed. Likewise, as you have done, on individual installations there should be provision for such happenings. Well done sir!!

To my mind this is the gap in the green energy / wind farm and solar push in UK, not just how do you cope when the sun does not shine or the wind blow, but what do you do when there's too much wind and sun. Any of these planning applications for new facilities should include a rechargeable battery system to cover such times (perhaps using electric car batteries past their useful date!!), recharging when "green" gives too much and discharging back to the grid when needed. Likewise, as you have done, on individual installations there should be provision for such happenings. Well done sir!!

That's one of the problems, I thought about solar as I could divert this to charge a car if not being used in the house.
If the car is not here though it would be wasted or go back to grid with zero return to me!

Being on a 7p kWh rate for 6 hours it's a big benefit to draw this overnight and store it then use it all day to run the house.
Next thing is to look at some solar panels as well to top the batteries/car up now that I have the batteries for storage.

Thought this would be worth letting people know about. I am a nightmare to buy for (what do you get a man who has everything!) but stumbled across the Random Book Club which for £69pa sends a totally random book each month. It is a bookshop in Wigtown, Scotland (the town runs a book festival each year - bit like Hay) The idea is that selection is totally random which suits me down to the ground as I get things which I would not select otherwise.
After accidentally leaving the details around (!!) SWMBO bought me a subscription and I have had my first two books. Brilliant concept

PXL_20240817_113155329.jpg

Glad to see that you are alive and well and still involved in the MB forum Wighty!! And after a 2 year absence, I'm returning to the fold next week when I collect my 2018 E class
It’s like the Tardis :)
Glad to see that you are still holding the fort at MB Forum, W1ghty! And after a 2 year absence, I'll be returning too when I pick up my 2018 E-class 220 next Wednesday. Any advice on the w213's W1ghty? Are they better or worse than the w212's?
All the Best, Justin.

Glad to see that you are alive and well and still involved in the MB forum Wighty!! And after a 2 year absence, I'm returning to the fold next week when I collect my 2018 E class

Glad to see that you are still holding the fort at MB Forum, W1ghty! And after a 2 year absence, I'll be returning too when I pick up my 2018 E-class 220 next Wednesday. Any advice on the w213's W1ghty? Are they better or worse than the w212's?
All the Best, Justin.
Jesus buddy , long time no speak :cool: . I’ve had to cover all things W211 gearbox whilst you have been away .
I’ve still got exactly the same cars so my knowledge hasn’t progressed past 2009 :).
Looking forward to new car pics !

Jesus buddy , long time no speak :cool: . I’ve had to cover all things W211 gearbox whilst you have been away .
I’ve still got exactly the same cars so my knowledge hasn’t progressed past 2009 :).
Looking forward to new car pics !
As soon as the new arrival actually arrives, I'll post the pics and any other details that come with it. At present it's in the garage getting serviced, and by next Wednesday I hope to go and collect it. So far, I've just driven a mile or two in a test drive but was very impressed! Seemed to be much smoother than the last one, a 2014 E class 220, which was a smooth drive in its own right, but the back and front suspensions would soon require major attention / replacement, and I just didn't feel like doing the job. Hence the 2-year holiday! LOL. So, what exactly (or maybe not exactly, but you know what I mean anyway...) have you been doing with your cars?

That's a very neat installation! My battery sits on wheels in the garage and sucks up quite a bit of my surplus solar energy and consequently gives in virtually zero running costs to the car...but it does not feed back to the house.
Just switched to a 7p per unit tariff for 6 hrs overnight and I'll trial that through the winter. Even in Norfolk it gets less light in winter :eek:

IMG_1372.jpeg

As soon as the new arrival actually arrives, I'll post the pics and any other details that come with it. At present it's in the garage getting serviced, and by next Wednesday I hope to go and collect it. So far, I've just driven a mile or two in a test drive but was very impressed! Seemed to be much smoother than the last one, a 2014 E class 220, which was a smooth drive in its own right, but the back and front suspensions would soon require major attention / replacement, and I just didn't feel like doing the job. Hence the 2-year holiday! LOL. So, what exactly (or maybe not exactly, but you know what I mean anyway...) have you been doing with your cars?
As to my cars over the last couple of years , the CLK is on 105k , the E on 135k .
They have both had discs,pads and all calipers overhauled
, new shocks and springs all round,
both had gearbox services and too many unnecessary engine oil changes .
Power steering fluid , coolant ,diff oils renewed .
Standard stuff really :)

All available info that I currently have: -
Year: 2018
Mileage: 100,041 mi/160,996 km
Gearbox: Automatic
Fuel Type: Diesel
Previous Owners: 1
Body Type: Saloon
Seats: 5
Doors: 4
Colour: Black
Engine Power: 194 BHP
Engine Econ Urban: 66.00 mpg
Engine Econ Rural: 79.00 mpg
Engine Econ Combined: 72.00 mpg
Road Tax: €190
Road Tax Due: 01/01/2025
NCT Due: 01/04/20260-
62mph: 7.30 seconds
Top Speed: 149 mph
Last Updated: 16/08/2024

I bought these at National Alfa Day at Bicester yesterday. This was my first Alfa, I bought a used 1989 one in 1994. My favourite car to date, I loved it! It was £9750 in 1989 and I paid £2600 for mine, I still have the newspaper advert cutting. Alas these things rusted like nothing else. At 3 years old mine had already had new rear arches welded in. But they were sublime.
IMG_0955.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom