s212 e500, I know these are scarce but..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you thing £10500 is a decent Sale price for my Mercedes e500 59 plate with 128000 miles?

If you find somebody who actually wants an E500 that looks like that, possibly, but most of those will buy an E63. The wrap, the tints, the bodykit, the wheels, actually make it worth less than a standard car for all the other potential buyers, though, so no. Stick it on eBay with an auction reserve of £10500 and see what happens; that will give you your answer.

Tell us more! Which model do you have (body shape, era, colour, etc)? There are a dozen or so current and former E500 owners on here, which must be a fair proportion of all of them! Welcome to the forum by the way...

It’s a facelift E500 sport
db4138a9c812a647421cb23ecea469ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! That’d be one of the first ever 5.5s then? I’ve a quick analysis of howmanyleft saved somewhere (not on hand at present) and from what I recall there were very few of the facelift E500 sold and even then most were Avantgarde models. So your 34 E500 Sport figure seems very credible - is that from inside sources at MB or from careful reading of howmanyleft?

Just for the record, that remarkable 1991 car sold for £67k on Saturday. (But it was ultra low mileage / 2 owner)

It's "Rest of the World" not just a UK thing. The E550 only exists in the USA and Canada, where there's a tradition of massive engines. In the Rest of the World, from Germany to Japan, the E550 doesn't exist. (Ditto S550, CL550, CLS550, SL550)
Why? Because the Rest of the World doesn't quite have the same Big is better mentality and has a longer memory, and still values the historic numbering of the old 500 series V8's, across the Mercedes range. Like the W124 500E from the 1990's which is worth about £60,000 these days. Here's one from today's auction at Silverstone. (Don't get too excited, such cars are either absurdly low mileage - this one's just 35,000 miles, or heavily, and expensively, restored.)
Yours for £60,000 today.......... 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E (W124)

01.jpg

I

Very nice! That’d be one of the first ever 5.5s then? I’ve a quick analysis of howmanyleft saved somewhere (not on hand at present) and from what I recall there were very few of the facelift E500 sold and even then most were Avantgarde models. So your 34 E500 Sport figure seems very credible - is that from inside sources at MB or from careful reading of howmanyleft?

Yes, drilling down on howmanyleft to the exact model.

So that's just over 200 5.5 litre facelift E500 Sports and just over 20 5.5 litre facelift E500 Avantgardes.... isn't it?

(Anything pre-2006 being 5 litre non-facelift)

Nice. I was looking for an estate version of that before I found my S212. It was a fruitless search. I only know of one S211 E500 Sport in London and I know the owner. And he wouldn't sell it to me.

What's the spec like on yours? I can see the pano roof for starters.

Nice. I was looking for an estate version of that before I found my S212. It was a fruitless search. I only know of one S211 E500 Sport in London and I know the owner. And he wouldn't sell it to me.

What's the spec like on yours? I can see the pano roof for starters.

Not sure to honest. It’s got the command, heated seats ect

There can only be one...

(New plate, but has to be the same car)

Rare s212 e500

View attachment 91868
We talked about Doreen Lofthouse, the first owner of this distinctive brown E500. Sadly, she passed last week, at the grand old age of 91.

One of the richest women in the UK, a significant philanthropist with entirely self-made success from selling her Fishermen Friends lozenges in 140 countries, her obituary makes fascinating reading: a natural saleswoman. Quite a character.

Fisherman's Friend tycoon Doreen Lofthouse dies aged 91

BBC Radio 4 - Last Word, Doreen Lofthouse OBE, Dr Chris Doake, Barbara Hosking CBE, Bernice Cohen

_117774624_doreenlofthouse2.jpg

Last edited:
This 211 has been on sale for about eight months or so, and the price hasn't budged. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010185144567?make=MERCEDES-BENZ&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&model=E CLASS&postcode=se17na&aggregatedTrim=E500&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&minimum-badge-engine-size=5.0&keywords=E500&page=1&modal=photos.

The price, private sale, is not far short of that 212 at a trader.

The owner of the 211 is one of the 'I Know What It's Worth' brigade...

Last edited:
This 211 has been on sale for about eight months or so, and the price hasn't budged. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010185144567?make=MERCEDES-BENZ&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&model=E CLASS&postcode=se17na&aggregatedTrim=E500&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&minimum-badge-engine-size=5.0&keywords=E500&page=1&modal=photos.

Nice. I even like the light interior. BUT. Whoever at Mercedes thought it would be a good idea to fit a steering wheel and interior window surrounds that look like they are fashioned out of the clay that car manufactures use to make full size models of a new design? 🤢

Yes, I’m amazed they’re still trying it at £10k after all this time. It is an estate and does have the 5.5, but it’s still silly money for a car that’s almost 15 years old. Still, it’s good to know where the market isn’t for these cars! Helps me keep tabs on what mine might be worth... (though I have no plans to sell, especially now using it is allowed again).

One sold on auto trader a few weeks ago. It was advertised at 9.5k iirc. Only difference was it was a sport not elegance, Facelift s211 5.5 e500. Sold within a matter of hours to someone on the pistonheads forum. I heard the trader was surprised with the volume of interest.

Was looking for a W211 E500 about a year ago (owned an '03 W211 E320CDI 12 years ago & loved it) but found them quite thin on the ground. Which is the reason I eventually went for a W219 CLS500 instead, same car underneath, more plentiful & therefore more choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom