SLK 350 values and best time to sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bulldoze

Our circumstances may be about to change so we are thinking about swapping our SLK 350 for something a bit more practical.

As the new model is imminent which would be the best time to swap? I was always under the impression that Convertible sports cars sell best at the first flush of spring so maybe now would be a good time to bite the bullet and try and trade it in now.

Parkers guide reckons about 22k trade in on a 09 plate with 20k miles it has the essential extras like comand, airscarf, 18, heated seats, leather etc.

What is the general feeling of our timing? and what kind of trade in deals are the main dealers offering at the moment? I am just trying to prepare ourselves for the inevitable hit if we decide to change!

Surely the tin roof removes a bit of the seasonal element.

Try to sell privately now before the dealers are awash with convertables.
As you know they will offer you a lot less than it is worth.

This is a good question, I am currently looking to buy an slk 55 but I have this in the back of my mind, will the price slam when the new ones are released?

Its almost an impossible question to answer, unless you have a crystal ball. Do I hold on or just buy one? I can get a 55 plate AMG SLK for £19400 FMBSH in good order, its a good price but still not sure weather or not now is the time to buy with the new one out in a few months.

Now is the worst time to buy a convertible but the best time to sell :thumb:
When I get back home I'll check what your car is worth book price and I'll get back to you.

Edit: just made a phone call and if in top condition it's worth £23k as a trade in

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just decided to pull out of a purchase for an AMG 55 for this very reason, im going to sit on the sidelines for a while and see how the market reacts around June to the new SLK and decide then if I still want one. Theother thing is the AMG version of the new SLK doesnt come out till 2012 so not really sure if the new non AMG models will affect residuals?

Ive just decided to pull out of a purchase for an AMG 55 for this very reason, im going to sit on the sidelines for a while and see how the market reacts around June to the new SLK and decide then if I still want one. Theother thing is the AMG version of the new SLK doesnt come out till 2012 so not really sure if the new non AMG models will affect residuals?

you need to sell that TT first :)

whilst i understand all this seasonal stuff and waiting to see what happens when the new models hits, i would have thought that since the new model has already been announced then values would have already started to drop a little. I would have thought that the market for convertibles is probably quite at the moment but would start to pick up around May.

The other thing is whilst you could hold off to see how the market reacts cars are still going to depriciate so you don't really win.

From lookijg at the values of 350's it seems they are all over the place, ranging from £13700 upto £16995 for a car that is almost exactly the same spec and age .... right now to post a new thread about what to look for .. :)

A slight drift, but may be of interest.

I am at present looking to buy a CLS Facelift 320/350 cdi, and being very fussy with the spec.

I see the price dropping all the time, and I also see many cars spending many many weeks on the garage forcourts.

I have the funds available and no part exchange, so just waiting to get the exact mode/spec and my view is car is getting better value all the time as prices are dropping due still not an old car and the new model CLS will help it slip a bit more quick I think.

Ref to the opening post, if it's a good car/spec/condition/miles, advertize it soon at a high price, if person likes/needs that exact car, you should get good price, no joy, just drop the price until the fish bite ??? good luck.

you need to sell that TT first :)

:)

I sold my TT in just 1.5 days, so im in a pickle now, the guy is picking up this afternoon. My TT is this one Audi : Audi TT Quattro Sport 55 Plate

I found out after he put his deposit down that the new ones are out in June which is why im putting it on ice for now.

I am actually gutted now its going as I dont have its replacement.

Lucky for me a mate is borrowing me his Cooper s for a few months.

I sold my TT in just 1.5 days, so im in a pickle now, the guy is picking up this afternoon. My TT is this one Audi : Audi TT Quattro Sport 55 Plate

I found out after he put his deposit down that the new ones are out in June which is why im putting it on ice for now.

I am actually gutted now its going as I dont have its replacement.

Lucky for me a mate is borrowing me his Cooper s for a few months.

That wasn't bad going then I remember you putting that up on the TTOC only the other day.

My wife went down to MB World yesterday to see about trading in the SLK 350 and they said that they were busy and could she come back tomorrow (Sunday) kept her waiting 30mins again and then offered only 21500 on the car! (Glass's said 24k)

She is not impressed and I can't see her going through all that again (not with a 3yr old in tow!) Guess it might be better to wait till next spring till we swap.

I thought they would at least try and make a deal as we are interested in a W204 Estate. Are the main dealers so awash with customers they are turning people away?

Last edited:
I found MB to be poor when I was looking at getting a C270, my local dealer - peterborough, I walked out on 2 different occassions after standing their looking like a spare part, and Kettering MB said they would bring one across from another dealer, which i don't like doing but since the salesmen said it would be no problem I agreed

A week late saw me make the 30 minute trip across, I had rang the day before to make sure everything was ok - and it was. Then when I arrived there the salesman said ... oh, sorry it sold I forgot to tell you ...... so if i go down the 350 route i'll by from an independant. :)

I found MB to be poor when I was looking at getting a C270, my local dealer - peterborough, I walked out on 2 different occassions after standing their looking like a spare part, and Kettering MB said they would bring one across from another dealer, which i don't like doing but since the salesmen said it would be no problem I agreed

A week late saw me make the 30 minute trip across, I had rang the day before to make sure everything was ok - and it was. Then when I arrived there the salesman said ... oh, sorry it sold I forgot to tell you ...... so if i go down the 350 route i'll by from an independant. :)
Collected my new 350 from Peterborough MB two weeks ago. Had excellent service from them right from the day I walked in there last year. Ask for Ged Woolford and tell him Tim sent you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom