Small scratch now requires complete panel spray

culpano

Active Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
662
Location
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Oh I'm completely p155ed off. Some bugger scratched my car a couple of weeks ago. Back door panel - a 2 inch long scratch which has taken the laquer off. Called Chipsaway who quoted me £175 + vat. They've now told me they can't do it because it's silver and it will require a full panel re-spray :( :( :(

They also said it won't match the colour of the other panels :mad: :mad: :mad:

They offered to touch it up for £35 + vat. I've got to be honest it looks no different (but it's at least rust proofed - some consilation...NOT).

I'm totally gutted. How can a small scratch necessitate a full re-spray - it's beyond me.

How much does it cost ?
 

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
4,876
Location
London
Car
CLS 350 CDI Sport - W218 with Full AMG Styling, Bentley Conti GT
Approx. £200 per panel for full repsray is what most body shops tend to charge as a rough guide.

Chips Away technology is limited/retsricted and like I have said before silver is very difficuelt to touch up. I have seen/experienced a Brilliant Silver Merc (744 touced/up partial respray on a side skirt of a W203 - believe me the touch was very noticeable from certain angles and and the Chips Away guy advised that was the best finish they would be able to do (on a door panel a touch up respray wouls stand out like a saw thumb...). If going for respray of door the rear quarter panel and front door will need to be blemished for a good match...
 

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,176
Location
Sheffield
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
clegsr said:
Out of interest, if silver is a "bad" touch up colour, then what is/are good colours?
Signal red!!!!!! I got a touch up pen from Merc for my 15 year old 190e and the colour match is absolutely perfect!!!!! The best five quid i have spent in a long time :)

Stu
 

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 2, 2003
Messages
7,468
Location
North Yorkshire
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
clegsr said:
Out of interest, if silver is a "bad" touch up colour, then what is/are good colours?
Non metallics ;) . It's metallic that are known for being a sod to match up, so afaik any flat colour is easier. But even then there's no guarantee coz it also depends how well it's been looked after, exposure to sunlight, the quality of the original paint tostart with and so on and so on.....
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
pammy said:
so afaik any flat colour is easier
White is also one of the worst, if not the worst. Might look ok in normal light but under artificial light a bad colour match looks awful.
 

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
4,876
Location
London
Car
CLS 350 CDI Sport - W218 with Full AMG Styling, Bentley Conti GT
Culpano: - Have u got the nano paint?

If ur going down the insurance route then how about getting the entire off side (resprayed for a good match...) ?
 

C43AMG

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
7,011
Location
Weybridge. U.K
Car
500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
Yes i have just had my SClass Keyed o/s Front Wing and the two doors "IT" must have got tired before "IT" got to the Rear Wing. I had given a freind a lift to Sainsbury's who has a Disable Sticker so i parked in the Disabled parking Bay, i had never parked in one before, i thought great lots of room nobody will dent the doors etc. Maybe they don't like disabled people with SClass's. I took it to the man who looks after my cars, £520.00 and that was a good price.

Sorry for the RANT.
 

mickl

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
1,442
Location
Mancy lad
Car
CLK280 W209
culpano said:
Oh I'm completely p155ed off. Some bugger scratched my car a couple of weeks ago. Back door panel - a 2 inch long scratch which has taken the laquer off. Called Chipsaway who quoted me £175 + vat. They've now told me they can't do it because it's silver and it will require a full panel re-spray :( :( :(

They also said it won't match the colour of the other panels :mad: :mad: :mad:

They offered to touch it up for £35 + vat. I've got to be honest it looks no different (but it's at least rust proofed - some consilation...NOT).

I'm totally gutted. How can a small scratch necessitate a full re-spray - it's beyond me.

How much does it cost ?
have you tried car care express (they are off trinity way, in manchester city centre)? http://www.carcare-express.co.uk/
 
OP
OP
culpano

culpano

Active Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
662
Location
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
mickl said:
have you tried car care express (they are off trinity way, in manchester city centre)? http://www.carcare-express.co.uk/
Thanks a lot mate. I'm going to have a look at these people. I just got a quote of £110 but it doesn't ask what colour. However it looks promising as the example pictures show silver !

PS. If you select online quote and then select saloon that is nearly exactly what my scratch looks like !!!
 

mickl

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
1,442
Location
Mancy lad
Car
CLK280 W209
culpano said:
Thanks a lot mate. I'm going to have a look at these people. I just got a quote of £110 but it doesn't ask what colour. However it looks promising as the example pictures show silver !

PS. If you select online quote and then select saloon that is nearly exactly what my scratch looks like !!!
it cost me £50 plus VAT to grind down and repaint a small rust spot on mine.

best taking car down and asking them for a quote in person, works out cheaper
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom