Small scratch now requires complete panel spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Oh I'm completely p155ed off. Some bugger scratched my car a couple of weeks ago. Back door panel - a 2 inch long scratch which has taken the laquer off. Called Chipsaway who quoted me £175 + vat. They've now told me they can't do it because it's silver and it will require a full panel re-spray :( :( :(

They also said it won't match the colour of the other panels :mad: :mad: :mad:

They offered to touch it up for £35 + vat. I've got to be honest it looks no different (but it's at least rust proofed - some consilation...NOT).

I'm totally gutted. How can a small scratch necessitate a full re-spray - it's beyond me.

How much does it cost ?

Approx. £200 per panel for full repsray is what most body shops tend to charge as a rough guide.

Chips Away technology is limited/retsricted and like I have said before silver is very difficuelt to touch up. I have seen/experienced a Brilliant Silver Merc (744 touced/up partial respray on a side skirt of a W203 - believe me the touch was very noticeable from certain angles and and the Chips Away guy advised that was the best finish they would be able to do (on a door panel a touch up respray wouls stand out like a saw thumb...). If going for respray of door the rear quarter panel and front door will need to be blemished for a good match...

Out of interest, if silver is a "bad" touch up colour, then what is/are good colours?

clegsr said:
Out of interest, if silver is a "bad" touch up colour, then what is/are good colours?

Signal red!!!!!! I got a touch up pen from Merc for my 15 year old 190e and the colour match is absolutely perfect!!!!! The best five quid i have spent in a long time :)

Stu

clegsr said:

Non metallics ;) . It's metallic that are known for being a sod to match up, so afaik any flat colour is easier. But even then there's no guarantee coz it also depends how well it's been looked after, exposure to sunlight, the quality of the original paint tostart with and so on and so on.....

pammy said:
so afaik any flat colour is easier
White is also one of the worst, if not the worst. Might look ok in normal light but under artificial light a bad colour match looks awful.

Culpano: - Have u got the nano paint?

If ur going down the insurance route then how about getting the entire off side (resprayed for a good match...) ?

Yes i have just had my SClass Keyed o/s Front Wing and the two doors "IT" must have got tired before "IT" got to the Rear Wing. I had given a freind a lift to Sainsbury's who has a Disable Sticker so i parked in the Disabled parking Bay, i had never parked in one before, i thought great lots of room nobody will dent the doors etc. Maybe they don't like disabled people with SClass's. I took it to the man who looks after my cars, £520.00 and that was a good price.

Sorry for the RANT.

culpano said:
Oh I'm completely p155ed off. Some bugger scratched my car a couple of weeks ago. Back door panel - a 2 inch long scratch which has taken the laquer off. Called Chipsaway who quoted me £175 + vat. They've now told me they can't do it because it's silver and it will require a full panel re-spray :( :( :(

They also said it won't match the colour of the other panels :mad: :mad: :mad:

They offered to touch it up for £35 + vat. I've got to be honest it looks no different (but it's at least rust proofed - some consilation...NOT).

I'm totally gutted. How can a small scratch necessitate a full re-spray - it's beyond me.

How much does it cost ?

have you tried car care express (they are off trinity way, in manchester city centre)? http://www.carcare-express.co.uk/

mickl said:
have you tried car care express (they are off trinity way, in manchester city centre)? http://www.carcare-express.co.uk/

Thanks a lot mate. I'm going to have a look at these people. I just got a quote of £110 but it doesn't ask what colour. However it looks promising as the example pictures show silver !

PS. If you select online quote and then select saloon that is nearly exactly what my scratch looks like !!!

culpano said:
Thanks a lot mate. I'm going to have a look at these people. I just got a quote of £110 but it doesn't ask what colour. However it looks promising as the example pictures show silver !

PS. If you select online quote and then select saloon that is nearly exactly what my scratch looks like !!!

it cost me £50 plus VAT to grind down and repaint a small rust spot on mine.

best taking car down and asking them for a quote in person, works out cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom