The Complete M271 Engine thread. ( Revised and Updated )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have done 2 head jobs on 271 engines. The first one was because of a burnt valve on No 2 cylinder, the second because of mayonnaise where there should be oil (turned out to be a cracked block in the end..........ouch). Not easy to work on but not that difficult. The biggest problem is removing the architecture from around the engine and the claggy stuff that Mercedes use instead of a gasket on the front casing and rocker cover. Time to do the first job start to finish was about 9 hours, but as you do more then time will reduce due to familiarity.

I have done 2 head jobs on 271 engines. The first one was because of a burnt valve on No 2 cylinder, the second because of mayonnaise where there should be oil (turned out to be a cracked block in the end..........ouch). Not easy to work on but not that difficult. The biggest problem is removing the architecture from around the engine and the claggy stuff that Mercedes use instead of a gasket on the front casing and rocker cover. Time to do the first job start to finish was about 9 hours, but as you do more then time will reduce due to familiarity.

Oh thats sounds fun Ian! Not:)

I need a M271 engine for my 03 C180, 203.

I'm finding this pretty difficult! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dronsfield have new and old ones....., mercman southampton??

PS. Why do you need one in an 03 car?

Hello Everyone ,

Nice to see a clean thread once again :)

Been following it alot for a long time now and learnt alot as well but i have to return here for some questions and for some answers as well.

Well i have a C230k W-203 and following are the things installed in my car :

1. Kleemann Headers.
2. Kleemann Boost Kit.
3. Kleemann Ecu upgrade.
4. Kleemann Exhaust with kit.

I also got Sway bars installed from Eibach while the company dont make any for my car but there was a way to get it done and they performing as they should , if u need more detail about product code and how to get them installed , do pm me.

Since i have done whatever there is to my car , i was wondering if there is anything else left to be done since i surely need more power !!! is there any TCU upgrade or a transmission swap ( from auto to manual ) .... Camshafts?? ( will contact schrick as i saw it on 1st page ) or anything else which i missed ?

Thanks in advance.

Curly.

Edit : Wanted to ask if Limited Slip differential really increase acceleration ( since my rev limiter is 6200rpm ) and traction ? and is there a way to bypass rev limiter !

Last edited:
Thankyou Curly! I'm glad someone appreciates this thread. Whereabouts are you as I'd love to see your car.

Re. What else is there-I presume youve got a sprintbooster!

What are your thoughts on the K Box and have you got an uprated ECU and a K box-as i thought k Box could only be used with a standard ECU?

Hi R2d2 ,

I am in china and no i havnt put the sprint booster as it only increase the acceleration response and nothing else , meaning it will make you think you are going faster but in reality you are accelerating at the same rate.

Kleemann already does 30 % + on acceleration response so i highly doubt that i will need sprintbooster.

yes the k-box works with the standard ecu but once you upgrade ecu, you need to take it out as the settings are already tuned into the ecu by kleemann.

i am trying to find Limited Slip Differencial / Tcu upgrade/ Camchafts or manual transmission .......but i cant find it at shurick/mbk/kleemann.....

so sad :(

Vath Fuel Cooler???

Last edited:
Does fuel cooling really lead to more power and better mpg, if so why?

Only copying from: View topic - Fuel cooling - F1technical.net

"F1 engines are normally aspirated, spark ignited, otto-cycle engines. Thus, in order to produce maximum power, they must run at near stoichiometric air/fuel ratios. More specifically, their ultimate (thermodynamic) power output is limited by the mass flow of fuel they can combust efficiently. Which in turn is limited by the mass flow of oxygen the engine can trap within the cylinder during each cycle.

So the key factor for max engine power is the trapped oxygen mass fraction. And this value is helped by having a dense intake charge. The intake charge of an F1 engine is cooled (and thus densified) by the latent heat effect of the fuel evaporation. Cold liquid fuel absorbs more heat during vaporization, so the fuel latent heat effect on intake charge density is increased, thus increasing power somewhat.

It doesn't specifically benefit combustion, but it does improve intake mass flow. But not a whole lot."

Hmm so will Vath's lttle box achieve much one wonders!:)

Dronsfield have new and old ones....., mercman southampton??

PS. Why do you need one in an 03 car?

Tried them all it seems, R2! No luck yet.

Bent valves and a seized balancer shaft (of which I'm not sure how much damage to the insides it has made)

It's actually an 02' car, my mistake there.

02' C180
Petrol
Auto

You will get predetination which is where you get pinging from and it will scar and pit the piston and cylinder walls.

Tried them all it seems, R2! No luck yet.

Bent valves and a seized balancer shaft (of which I'm not sure how much damage to the insides it has made)

It's actually an 02' car, my mistake there.

02' C180
Petrol
Auto

Can post the first 6 digits of your engine number. It will help people track one down.

Can post the first 6 digits of your engine number. It will help people track one down.
Edit: that was first 6 of my VIN. I shall have to check...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom