Thought provoking Driving Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People make mistakes. I know that the roads are lethal, motorcyclists are vulnerable and Integra drivers like some sideways. We all know these things. When it comes to choosing your vehicle you pays your money and you takes your choice. It is a sobering tale if you are daft enough to think life is predictable and cars are cocoons. We have to accept that while cars and sweeping roads exist joy will be had in driving them quickly and it is part of the price that some will come badly unstuck.

But I do want to thank the threadstarter for an engaging link and wish the injured motorcyclist whatever respite is available to him.

...Maybe that was part of the problem? I had built up this opinion of my driving that I was never going to have a big accident. I was so complacent ...
Dan

I read a very interesting book on the psychology of driving. It talked about a recognised problem that drivers suffer from called (IIRC) Positive Affirmation. In essence, the more times you do something and it results in no adverse consequences the more it becomes imprinted in your brain that the action cannot have adverse consequences.

Accordingly (for example), the more times you take a bend flat out and don't skid off the road, the more you come to believe that it is not possible to skid off the road - on that bend at that speed. This is one of the major reasons why the majority of accidents happen within a short distance of people's homes - these are the roads on which they have built a large number of positive experiences even though they are perhaps driving innapropriately (not just speed, but lack of observation or caution).

When I first read about this concept, it really made me think about how I drive and - much more importantly - how I ride my bike. Trouble is, even though I am now aware of when I am creating positive experiences and know I should rope myself in, I still find myself drawn to making the positive assumptions that permit me (in my mind) to take risks I know I probably shouldn't.

Just an interesting concept.....

I read that.
Don't you just love a nihilist.
Spreading doubt and fear.
[:(]

Very true Mocas. I believe the Canadian road authorities were gobsmacked when, having cut down all barriers to visibility for roads approaching railway tracks, on which numerous accidents had occurred, the accident rate increased. Feeling safer the drivers drove faster and even attempted to beat the trains. Eh?

I believe the Canadian road authorities were gobsmacked when, having cut down all barriers to visibility for roads approaching railway tracks, on which numerous accidents had occurred, the accident rate increased. Feeling safer the drivers drove faster and even attempted to beat the trains. Eh?

That's quite interesting, bearing in mind that Westminster and RBKC are in the process of removing pedestrian barriers and other clutter from the streetscape on the basis that Dutch studies have shown that where drivers feel they are sharing the roadspace with pedestrians, they will exercise far greater caution.

I have to say that Kensington High Street is looking rather more streamlined since its facelift, but it would be interesting to know whether it has also had the desired effect in reducing accidents.

I like the new Kensington High Street look, it treats everybody as adults, rather than those silly pedestrian crossings which force you to walk back 30 m to cross the road, guaranteeing people take risks. As a resident, I'll try and find out, the Councillor responsible being Daniel Moylan, he of the abortive Sloane Square redesign and the architect of the large windblown wasteland outside South Ken tube aka a Piazza.

I have also heard of studies where they have taken out the centre line of the road in villages etc. It's generally lead to a fall in speeds in the area, where it has been tried.

the large windblown wasteland outside South Ken tube aka a Piazza.

You're clearly not "on message". :)

I understand the Warlock Society is pushing to get the Bartók statue reinstated on the 'piazza' rather than the proposed Malvern Court site. If they succeed, it seems Bartók will need that overcoat, and will also have to hang on to his hat...

(Apologies for the thread diversion, everyone.)

Poor old Bela, shoved on a miserable traffic island to start with, and now fated to be the Eskimo Nell of South Ken. Perhaps they could swap him with the Captain Scott statue in Waterloo Place?

I read a very interesting book on the psychology of driving.

I suspect there are a number of psychologies employed by different drivers from the arrogant complacency of some to the fearful looking for somewhere to have their accident types, and, along with likelyhood of accident, response in accident or pre-accident is dependent on the psychology of the person.

I've been reading this - first chapter only so far - and it has some useful info about what mindset best suits good, safe, driving.

Here >> Don Palmer's Driving Handbook

I'll read the rest when I find the time, but first chapter makes sense to me.

Very well written account. How quickly, for want of a better term, a spirited moment can change so many lives. I feel much sorrow for everyone but of course the biker primarily. Perhaps thats because I can place myself in the shoes of all concerned and imagine how it must feel.

Thankfully I only have to imagine. The people involved will think about that day, every day, for the rest of their lives.

I did want to add food for thought which is a story I read that terrified me in my younger driving days:

A 911 driver on another forum I used to read got into a spirited moment with a motorbike on the road. They had their moment of 'madness' and then went on their respective ways. Unbeknown to the 911 driver, many miles after they parted ways the motorbike lost control on a bend and he died at the scene. Another motorist had seen the car and bike racing earlier and reported the plates to the police. The police turned up at the 911's guys place of work and to cut a long story short he went to jail for a considerable length of time.

I have tried to recount the story as best I can so I am sorry for any inaccuracies.

When I consider 'putting my foot down' I always think about this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom