• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 - Rear Axle - Rear Brake Dust Shield - HELP

fjmrf

Car
W203 / C Class 2001 270 CDI Elegance Black (manufactured in South Africa)
Hi everyone.

I bought few months ago a W203. This week I decided fix a noise in the rear wheel. What was my surprise when I saw the rear Axle and Rear Brake Dust Shield. They are full of rust:crazy:. So I'll need some help:

1- I was thinking in change all Axle (+- £ 150 on ebay). Anyone have an idea of how much I will expend with a garage to do this change?:D Should I do it or just sell the car? (I att some pictures...):confused:

2- Because the rust one of the Dust Shield has just vanish (picture).:eek: The hold springs from the hand brake are connected on it, so that was the noise origin. I need to buy new Dust Shields. (number 9 on the diagram). Anyone knows where I can find? :confused:

I'm put here the picture of the dust shield, suspension arm and a diagram of it...

Any help will be welcome.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5783.jpg
    IMG_5783.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5797.jpg
    IMG_5797.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 58
The protective plates should be around £30 at your local mb dealer.

Sounds a bit drastic to sell the car or replace parts for £150 just because some surface rust. Are there other problems, beside the noise?

Hi Tor_ake.

I agree with you if the outgoing stops on it, but it will more than it. My car have a value around £3k. I need to fix a leak in Air Cond (let's say 150), the rust in axle is, in my opinion, strong and or I change all axle or some parts with will have same or biggest value (so 30 dust shield + brake springs 20 + more 150 axle + garage (I'm guessing 250), more my TCU is with a fail with can be fixed by reset. It is working but can stop at any moment. So let's say 100 TCU + garage to program (80).
This numbers are targeting low cost fix and everything going right. It will be £780,00. 26% of car value, but can easily achieve 1k (33%). It is true that the gearbox, engine and inside are really perfect as well everything else, but my one is a 2001 elegance 270cdi and the insurance is 1.400 year. I don't do 6kmiles per year. It is the perfect car to someone with needs a reliable car to travel or commut, but doing this investments perhaps not to me...
Maybe it is better sell it and get a newest one with smallest engine and so cheap insurance... I don't know, I'm thinking about. I have the fear of get other with same bills, and change the car is a expanse of around £300 lost... Any idea is welcome.
Btw: I can only find the shield in mb dealer?
Thanks for your replay.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom