W204 handling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanteTheGreat

Car
2019 Mercedes C300 2.0L M274
So enjoying my new C180,very nice ride and well composed. Steering is a bit light and a bit smallish in the hand but damn, I've never understood the meaning of the phrase precise steering till I started driving this car, however...I just drove my girlfriend's 318i E90 today for the first time in a while and let's just say the difference in the handling of both cars is insane, the E90 feels so rooted to ground even on bends to the point it's shocking. Should there be that much of a difference between the handling, I know the E90 is without a doubt, the sportier car, but damn.
I have the "677 AVANTGARDE/STANDARD SUSPENSION" what does that spec really mean and would that explain the huge gulf in handling or is down to chassis?

My 2013 C180 has the electric power steering (i.e. not hydraulic), if yours is the same than that will explain why the steering is so 'easy'. It does not have much by way of sporty feedback though. But yes it makes for a car that's very easy to drive.

The W204 is a very comfy car, but yes it's handling is not sporty. And historically BMW were always the better handling cars.

My 2013 C180 has the electric power steering (i.e. not hydraulic), if yours is the same than that will explain why the steering is so 'easy'. It does not have much by way of sporty feedback though. But yes it makes for a car that's very easy to drive.

The W204 is a very comfy car, but yes it's handling is not sporty. And historically BMW were always the better handling cars.

Yeah, I think I have the electric steering. Very numb, but precise.
Her car's steering is nice and heavy but it does not ease up at low speeds which can be a bit unintuitive.
About the suspensions, the avantgarde/standard suspension, I know it's the standard comfort suspension, but what does the "avantgarde" indicate?

I had the 'Classic SE' trim on my previous W203, and at the time 'Avantgarde' meant lowered/sporty suspension, which I didn't have (and didn't want).

On my W204 with the 'Executive SE' trim, I also have this 'Avantgarde/Standard' option that you mentioned, and yet the car has the higher softly-sprung suspension with the standard 16" wheels. So I guess that having this option on the Datacard does not necessarily mean that the car has a sporty suspension.

In fact I made a point of buying the W203 at the time in 'Classic SE' trim, and later the W204 in 'Executive SE' trim, precisely because I did not want the lowered/stiffened suspension and the low-profile 17" wheels that came with the Sport variants.

I do appreciate that the price to pay for the supple ride of the Executive SE car is that the handling suffers somewhat and the car just does not like being thrown around corners. But this is fine for me.

For what it's worth, I find the steering on mine Pin sharp. Love it.
CDI Sport Wagon on 17" rims.

I'm guessing mine is an Executive SE with the luxury package (Hood ornament, three louvre grill, 17 inch rims), is that correct ?

I'm guessing mine is an Executive SE with the luxury package (Hood ornament, three louvre grill, 17 inch rims), is that correct ?
That sounds about right.

What year is the car? I believe MB dropped the Luxury package from the UK market in 2013, so it was only available up to (and including) MY 2012.

Is this the grille?

Mercedes-Benz-C-Class_UK_Version-2012-800-04.jpg

18" rims on mine and super precise. But, since I got Continentals all round the tyre wear on the extreme outer edges of the fronts is....dire. To put it mildly.

Another question, and before I ask, a huge disclaimer, this could all be in my head. Recently, I noticed when I'm driving at motorway speeds, sometimes (when driving in a straight line) it occasionally feels as though the car is ever so slightly slipping, almost as though it's losing its grip and swaying very very slightly from side to side.
It never feels like it's going to spin out or lose control, and the steering does not shake or anything like that, and even when I swing from lane to lane it feels very sure-footed, my question is: Is that normal (I've only owned the car for roughly 3 weeks), am I imagining it or does something needs checking?
BTW: Tires look great on inspection.

Another question, and before I ask, a huge disclaimer, this could all be in my head. Recently, I noticed when I'm driving at motorway speeds, sometimes (when driving in a straight line) it occasionally feels as though the car is ever so slightly slipping, almost as though it's losing its grip and swaying very very slightly from side to side.
It never feels like it's going to spin out or lose control, and the steering does not shake or anything like that, and even when I swing from lane to lane it feels very sure-footed, my question is: Is that normal (I've only owned the car for roughly 3 weeks), am I imagining it or does something needs checking?
BTW: Tires look great on inspection.

You could have some worn suspension arm bushes- these can be at the front or back suspension- to give that "floating feeling"
e.g.
Mercedes-Benz W204 Cross Strut Replacement - (2008-2014) C250, C300, C350 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Not happened to me. Unless, I am in some lorry type tracks in the tarmac, like you get on inside lanes sometimes.

I'm getting the alignment checked as I type this.

I've got the preface W204 elegance with standard suspension, hydraulic power steering.
It may not handle like a focus st but I find it very stable, minimal roll on bends and soaks up the crappy british road potholes very well.
TBH it can take corners as fast I can be bothered to these days.
It's at high speeds where it is best, it settles down and doesn't get affected too much with cross winds etc. I've had 30 odd cars and this is the best for comfy high-speed cruising.

According to the machine at Kwikfit (Hunter I think) the front wheels were badly misaligned, pulling to the left.

I've got the preface W204 elegance with standard suspension, hydraulic power steering.
It may not handle like a focus st but I find it very stable, minimal roll on bends and soaks up the crappy british road potholes very well.
TBH it can take corners as fast I can be bothered to these days.
It's at high speeds where it is best, it settles down and doesn't get affected too much with cross winds etc. I've had 30 odd cars and this is the best for comfy high-speed cruising.
Believe me, seeing as work requires me driving on the motorway everyday, I appreciate that smooth cruiser setup the car has and I don't think the bodyroll is excessive, I was just taken aback by the massive difference between the handling of the two cars.
I like how the damping is comfortable but yet you're aware of what's going on under you, not like the jelly suspensions on the Avalon which was Toyota's idea of comfy.

Could you get a test drive of another Mercedes similar to yours? Say, look on Ebay or Autotrader for a local one for sale...

That way, you'll have an idea if there's anything wrong/loose with yours. You might even want to buy another one!

There shouldn't be an enormous gap between yours and the Beemer, the reviews always tend to mention they have relatively subtle differences in handling and ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom