W205 C63S 'things'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not having much luck with my car unfortunately. Think I've had enough and asked for a refund on it yesterday :(

That's not good - what can't they resolve?

Now they fixed my rattle I can't stop driving it - had my free basic driver training on Friday at Brooklands, such a cool day and made me appreciate the car even more!

I think this car is better built than the last one - that one went back after 2 days to sort the centre console squeak/rattle out. I have this creak going over speed bumps etc that seems to be from the screen on the dash but it's not totally winding me up at the moment so not bothered to get it looked at. I'm also used to this I suppose a bit because of the previous car.

For me the car is great - just two things would make it better - slightly lower seating position and comfort suspension actually mean comfort..

Fast lane sorry that hear about your car - keep us informed

I drive on my country roads on 'Individual' settings which at the moment are set as Sport+ but with the suspension on comfort. Works really well. I shall be tweaking the diff soon as the tight setting of Sport+ is too much for the slippery roads and I need a bit of slack in the diff.

I must add that my local roads are smothered in mud and other slippery substances that farms and the local quarries deposit on them in liberal quantities. Add damp weather and things get a bit interesting.

What are you having done (tweaked) to your diff?

That's not good - what can't they resolve?

Now they fixed my rattle I can't stop driving it - had my free basic driver training on Friday at Brooklands, such a cool day and made me appreciate the car even more!

The passenger door makes a noise. Hard to explain what it is but it's not related to bumps in the road as it'll do it on smooth roads as well. It stops when the seat switches have a bit of pressure put on them however last visit they changed them and it's not fixed it. I can find other threads on this for W205 but nothing that suggests people have got it fixed. On the non AMG models they only seem to get it with the Burmesiter stereo on but mine does it with the stereo off so guess that's the harsher suspension causing that.

Also have a rattle from the centre console but I could live with that one I guess. Got them to do the grease on the struts and it's maybe not as bad as it was but still there.

Car also chirps from the centre console after a few minutes on and then stop. I've seen some others on American forum mention but not raised that as it only seems to do it a few times each drive then stops. Very weird.

I'd be able to live with the car if the door was sorted but just not getting much luck and spending this level of money to drive a C200 or B180 isn't great. As I travel quite a bit for work it's hard to get the car in so for instance it's back with me and I'd not get it back to the dealers until next Saturday. They gave it back to me without even testing it :(

I get in theory a firm car might well make more noises than other cars but the problems I've got seem excessive. Plus I had an M5 for 2 days in competition pack form which was actually more firm than the C63 (Wasn't comfortable after an hours drive that you was happy to get out). That made no creaks or rattles at all. I think Mercedes just don't have the same build quality.

I do agree, the rattles etc just shouldn't be there when we spend that kind of money - I only ever got A classes for the courtesy car and it's dead annoying.

I'm glad I don't have that door noise - the chirp I also have, but it sounds electronic and I assume it just a sensor or something.

Are you planning on rejecting it then? Are these rattles, as annoying as they are, grounds?

I do agree, the rattles etc just shouldn't be there when we spend that kind of money - I only ever got A classes for the courtesy car and it's dead annoying.

I'm glad I don't have that door noise - the chirp I also have, but it sounds electronic and I assume it just a sensor or something.

Are you planning on rejecting it then? Are these rattles, as annoying as they are, grounds?

Yes they'd be grounds because the law is quite simple. The product should be free of defects, no matter how minor they might seem. If the rattles were by design because the car is firm then they'd all do it the same. So it clearly is a fault.

Obviously I've never rejected anything like a car or anything huge in fact. It wasn't my plan initially either however how much time and effort do you put into getting something sorted?

Yes the car gets from A to B. It drives well of course however I just don't find it a nice place to be as the door rattle ruins the experience.

there is a guy on M3cutters who is on (I think) his fourth M4 - all previous ones were returned due to rattles. I dont know if he sold them back to BMW at preferential rates or rejected them.

OK that does sound excessive. I've not been offered a replacement car however.

I don't mind some rattles but the door one is annoying and that's not a rattle the rest of you appear to have. So there is something wrong beyond the normal rattles most of the cars seem to have.

Also the lack of effort to solve it also has put me off. I had to complain before they seemed to take an interest in resolving the problem vs. fobbing me off.

So they just called. In the end I've agreed that they can pick the car up and send photos / part numbers to Mercedes as I cannot drop it off until the weekend. They will loan me an E63 while they look into it.

Really is the last chance as 2 months into ownership and still not got problems sorted I had from pick up. I'm only going on this far because it is still the car I wanted. However you do have to call it a day and give up at some point.

regardless a right pita - hopefully it gets sorted in a way that leaves you happy.

I am loving my C63S apart from rattles on driver and passenger door seems to be coming from speakers!!!! it is annoying but I an wait for the diff service at 1800 miles.

In sports plus the performance exhaust is amazing!!!

I am loving my C63S apart from rattles on driver and passenger door seems to be coming from speakers!!!! it is annoying but I an wait for the diff service at 1800 miles.

In sports plus the performance exhaust is amazing!!!

Try pressing on the seat adjustment switches when the doors rattle. As in push them towards the door and see if the noise stops.

Also do they only rattle when you've got sound playing or even when the stereo is off? This sounds like my car though I only get it in the passenger door.

Mines been in many many times to try and get this resolved and they've yet to work it out. Close to a refund but giving them one last chance as they've given me an E63 to drive around while they have it again. They've got Mercedes AMG involved from Germany as well.

So I think unless you can live with the doors rattling, I'd get it reported quickly and in so they can try and fix it. It seems at the minute that they don't yet know what it is exactly or how to solve it. :(

You've more legal rights if you report it straight away.

Got my car back at the weekend and the dash rattle seems fixed. Wasn't just the struts but also something from around one of the wheel well areas, not sure exactly. So that at least in a limited drive appears sound. Windows have started creaking now though I've read that's quite an easy fix.

Doors exactly the same though... Seems this is just unfixable and it's the one that really bugs me, the others weren't as bad.

One last try and maybe get it back in a day or two, it's probably 200kg heavier than stock from the amount of places they've probably added extra insulation to the car. It's been in around 8 times now. It seems they might build me a new one if I request it but just worried from the threads I've seen that a new one wouldn't be any better. Or refund and back to BMW. Decisions. :(

Last edited:
the old Nav used to call one of the M25 junctions "cubic meter interchange" - think the Guildford or Woking exit. :)

I'd imagine that was the M3 interchange (for obvious - but entirely incorrect - reasons) ;)
I must try that on the way home tonight.

So...almost 2000 miles down, diff oil change booked in for Friday. It's s great car and yes the looks from the rear are not fantastic but it is still a stand out car - it has some presence. The coupe will be amazing as it will look better but still have the fantastic exhaust sound, especially the rifle shot misfires when you let off the throttle.

I do have creaks and other noises, worse in the morning - check out this short video from this morning on the way to the gym, gong about 5 mph over speed bumps - creak from dash and then some other 'rattle' noise that seems to be coming through the steering column area...it's not a deal breaker for me, just thought I would share to compare with others:

So...almost 2000 miles down,

Come on man, get some miles done.

Currently just over 7k and only using it part time now as I make a decision if to sell or not. However just noticed the Merc emblem on the wheel centres are already starting to deteriorate, which is very poor.

Tyres only half worn, more an indication of the traffic levels than anything else. Usual mpg is 20.5 but did a reasonable journey earlier this week to get to my Daughters Graduation and it was showing 34! Soon corrected that on way back home as a naughty upstart Audi needed putting in their place.

I do have creaks and other noises, worse in the morning - check out this short video from this morning on the way to the gym, gong about 5 mph over speed bumps - creak from dash and then some other 'rattle' noise that seems to be coming through the steering column area...it's not a deal breaker for me, just thought I would share to compare with others:

That creak right at the end sounded horrendous!

So picked car up yet again, still not fixed. Robinson's Mercedes Peterborough are refusing to replace or refund the car despite going out with the service manager who claimed he couldn't hear the noise. However he did admit to hearing another noise but regardless they won't do anything about it.

They are saying however that they cannot hear the fault I'm reporting so the car is fine. This is despite having a video clip of the sound which they can hear and despite them admitting that they heard a sound on the trip out we had this morning.

Really disappointed, I've raised a formal complaint with Mercedes and shall be writing a letter to their legal department as well. I guess I shouldn't have expected they would make this easy. They made my mind up that I want a refund vs a replacement though as I don't wish to have anything more to do with them after this is resolved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom