W208 55 AMG - possible gearbox upgrade (faster changes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mistreku

Car
CLK 230K
Howdy folks,

I'm considering getting one of these and something somewhat annoying (for me) was/is the gearbox, which seems a bit slower that most modern automatics. So, I don't have an AMG and never done this mod, so no point in asking me for details on this or arguments, I'm only posting this because I'm thinking maybe some of you might be interested.

Apparently, you can replace the valves, or solenoids, inside the valve body and make the changes twice as fast. Downside, a bit jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd and viceversa. Upside, well.. it changes faster and feels faster. It probably is faster, too, I would imagine this would improve your 1/4m and 0-60 times, if that counts.

The DIY seems pretty straight forward for any home mechanic, too. I can not remember exactly, but I read somewhere the upgraded solenoids should cost between 350 and 400 quid.

DIY link here.

Cheers,
Gab

Interesting, it seems as though the blue top solenoids are from the Mayback!

I was told about this mod by Olly (PCS) and I am sure (might be wrong) he had this done on his 43, when he had the 55 engine and the supercharger fitted to it.
Cant remember the specifics but I seem to recall comments regarding possible harsh/jerky gear changes.
If Olly sees this thread I'm sure he will comment.

Well, apparently, the jerkiness only accurs in 1st and 2nd, the rest are smooth. I'm wondering if a TCU tune could smooth that out.. This is something that I will definitely try after I manage to secure one of these beauties.

Regarding the blue tops, from what i gather, they are coming off Maybachs but they are also found on AMG gearboxes manufactured after 2004 (I think).

It so annoying that I can't find the thread that led me to the DIY guide. That guy has done the conversion and shared some of his experience with it. I will keep looking and post it here, if I manage to find it.

L.E. Managed to find the link. This guys has the P/N for the solenoids, as well, in case anyone wants source some.

Last edited:
I have this on my C43. Its better but slow gear changes are not always the smoothest. WOT is great and very fast.

The problem is you can-not over come the mechanical speed of the changes in the box. It is what it is.

But it is still a noticeable improvement over the stock, is it not? Would you say the roughness in slow gears is a deal-breaker?

Basically, you being able to provide first hand experience, would you recommend this mod? Are you happy with it, so far?

Cheers for the input!

I cant see the real advantage TBH unless you have a supercharger

Well, I would imagine there has to be an advantage, since all AMG gearboxes made after 2005 onwards have the blue tops. A S/C is a bit too costly for me, so I'm not even considering that, way too much money. But why would the S/C justify the blue tops mod more, compared to the N/A 55?

And here's the P/N, if anyone cares to do their own research, at least for general knowledge.

240-270-0089

I have googled this P/N, and came up with several threads and lots of positive feedback on this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom