Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't used wax for years, if I remember correctly it was a lot of work, wax on two panels wax off one, and you really worked up a sweat. Turtle wax out of a tin was my choice. Do you think the finish is worth the extra work?

Some of the modern waxes or sealants are much easier to apply than the turtlewax of old.

Applied correctly they are easy on and buff of with a plush microfibre towel.

The finish is definitely worth the extra work, and a good wax or sealant will help to keep the car cleaner as water (including dirty road spray) will bead and sheet off more easily. Google the "lotus effect" for an explanation of why.

Good winter waxes include the Collinite range as these are very durable and last a good 4 to 6 months depending on conditions. They don't cost a fortune either.

A clay bar is a pliable material that is normally used with a lubricant, it removes dirt, sap and other surface contaminants from the finish. You will be amazed when after washing your paintwork you then lubricate and rub the bar across just how much dirt and grime comes off onto the clay. Easy tips make sure you keep the surface wet and fold over and kneed regularly, also don't overuse the bar and check that the surface has no grit. When finished the surface will be cleaner and smoother.

Autoglym and Dodo Juice "for best".

Super Resin Polish is a very good all in one - better than a lot more expensive products. Seal it with extra gloss protection and it will last reasonably well.
For longer lasting protection, follow SRP with HD wax. It gives a fantastic shine, is amazingly easy to use and being a wax/sealant hybrid lasts a very long time. Again, it will outlast waxes costing 10 times as much.

What colour is your car? My personal preference is sealants on lighter colours and a wax on darker colours.

The easiest product you could possibly use for protection and shine is Permanon's Supershine. Try some. You will be amazed.

Zymol Cleaner Wax , followed by Harly Wax.

2-1.jpg

8.jpg

I can offer my car for testing if required !!
Always found Autoglym great on the paint and really easy to clean off, but marks the rubbers a fair bit if dried out.
Tried Mer clay and sample polish, but on normal non metallic paint not too impressed and used turtle wax safecut followed by autoglym.

How topical - I've bought two today. One is the Autoglym SRP which I paid twice the RRP for Saturday delivery and the other is Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Polish which I haveonly heard the best about.

This should be very very useful:

Corrosion Protection, Rust Removal, Car Wax and Car Polish from Bilt-Hamber UK

Yes that's their product page and that's where I bought the Cleanser-Polish (due for Monday delivery AFAIK), but look towards the bottom. There is a dropdown box for 2 downloads. 2 scans of a polish review from a magazine - they impartially tested all the major companies (and BH for some reason!) so you can see their verdicts on all of them. Different people prepared the test, each polish was given to the testers in a plain bottle.

Oh, and anyone want before-and-afters with the Bilt Hamber? I'll treat the rest of the car with the SRP and some HD wax and clay-barring first, but can save the boot (or bonnet if anyone prefers) for the BH. Not keen on the idea of 50-50s in case one product is miles better than the other.

If you are really into "detailing" then have a look at detailing world - full of fanatics. But you do pick up some good tips.

The post above was spam, the link to the spammed site was at the bottom of the post. Reported it.

The post above was spam, the link to the spammed site was at the bottom of the post. Reported it.

The post that was above this....

thanks, taken care of :thumb:

What colour is your car? My personal preference is sealants on lighter colours and a wax on darker colours.

The easiest product you could possibly use for protection and shine is Permanon's Supershine. Try some. You will be amazed.

Hi thanks for the advice, my car is a Clk tintop inJasper Blue, it is quite a bright blue color - but iam sure it is technically "dark"

I will try Permanon's Supershine

Man, I hope that clay bar stuff gives good results? I have just done a search on eBay and it runs a £35/£40 for a little pot!!!

Anyone know the best place to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom