What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The manufacturer can quote whatever they want, if the black sticker doesn't show it, its not type approved. The SL SHOP will not sell you one without it.

The manufacturer can quote whatever they want, if the black sticker doesn't show it, its not type approved. The SL SHOP will not sell you one without it.

They are wrong - type approval (specifically Directive 94/20/EC, part of ECWVTA) does not apply to cars registered in the UK before 1st August 1998. That's the law.

Obviously a car built before type approval even existed can't have been put through type approval by the manufacturer. I've been towing since 1993 and my first two towcars both pre-dated type approval.

Went to the main dealer who said they should be able to get Android Auto working on my car despite it not being on the build sheet ( Apple car play is and works)

Failed....

Still, they did try.

Cannot justify the Comand On Line quote to enable it.
One of those eBay dongles......?

Mines a 2000 W, check the plate on the inside of the B pillar, will have 4 sets of numbers for towing.View attachment 128506
If the 3650 is showing ------- thats a no tow.
Just for those that might not know. That particular plate means it has a 1500kg max tow.....Gross train weight (3650) minus the max gross vehicle weight) 2150 equals 1500 max trailer. On most cars it would not have ----- for no tow its just that gross train and gross vehicle would be the same....as it was on my wifes 99 SLK230K which was not even type approved for tow bar fitting.

OK, got it.
On most cars it would not have ----- for no tow its just that gross train and gross vehicle would be the same....as it was on my wifes 99 SLK230K which was not even type approved for tow bar fitting.

If there's a train weight on the data plate for an 08/98 onward vehicle then it has EC type approval for towing and can legally have a towbar fitted.

The gross vehicle and gross train weights being the same means you can tow the difference between the car's current weight and its maximum allowed weight. That might well be enough for a small trailer, jetski, etc.

On the SLK (which was def not type approved for tow bar fitment) the difference between kerb and gross weight is very small....even less once you add two people. Cant think of anything that light you could tow.....not that you could fit a towbar anyway.

Couple of small spots of rust from some stone chips, stuck some BH on them to remove the rust and I'll touch them up tomorrow :)

After picking mine up from the bodyshop on Monday I've nothing expect wash it, drive it and admire the paint.

I'm enjoying the combo of new the Android system & sub with the a/c and the cooled seats.

I've just walked past the Fiat 500 every time this week. Straight past :)

Gave the engine bay bit of a clean up and why the hell do peaople use the engine cover has a tea tray got a stain cannot get rid of
It keeps the tech's brew warm whilst fiddling with the oily bits.

Changed Front Right ABS wheel speed sensor. Changed front Discs and Pads.

In doing the above, established my jacking and supporting technique for W204 C220. Have searched for a while on how best to Jack up the car and ended up with some eBay purchased pucks so suit my axle stands (See picsF1BF8A48-7E0B-4784-BBA4-F002F5E8C662.jpeg) 34B56283-0612-4CA5-BFB2-A6B8B8412DAF.jpegAlso discovered I needed a higher reach Jack. I bought a low-profile basic Sealey unit but it would only go to approx. 0.38m - insufficient. Ended up buying a second Jack - a Halfords Advances 2t which goes to 0.5m. This new Jack is in a different league tbh, great quality and it’s what’s needed.

Had new front brake pipes fitted, they were an advisory on the last MOT and the one before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom