• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What irritates you about motorbikers?

Sounds like the kind of ***** that haven't any appreciation of music. A cultured engine is enjoyable to hear, no doubt about that, but when I want to treat my ears - music, not an engine!

How true.
A V8 woofling along is a symphony.
A Toyota Celica with a bashed out exhaust accelerating/decelerating continuously in too low a gear is an assault on the eardrums.

My bike sounds nice though.

I find the music of harmonious engines to be delightful, from Abarth engined Fiat through straight six rasp, boxer six induction roar to V8 woofle and beyond.

But I'd always choose classical music for sheer range and emotion.

i like all nice engine noises, but there's a time and a place.

Er, the post above your one?

I have this issue a lot. Half the time, my car is quicker, the other time they plod about because they think they are the only ones on the road I presume.

:D

Although I am now regretting it, I had given the post the benefit of the doubt: namely that "motorbike" meant a motorbike, not a scooter-like bike that ARE slow!

Cheers,
Robert
(Former ZZR1100, Fireblade rider, RD250 closed circuit club racing)

No offence, but there is no logic in this statement at all; it's just a one liner that bikers trot out to justify their self-indulgent choice of exhaust. Here's why:

The only time an exhaust sounds really loud is on full throttle / high revs. Whereas the only time your life is in danger on a bike (unless you stuff it in a hedge off your own bat) is when you are sharing the road with cars. So, if there are cars around and you are riding at high revs / wide open throttle, then you are clearly driving like an idiot and probably contributing to the impending impact.

As a bike rider, whenever there are cars around and there is any possibility that I haven't been seen, I am riding slowly on a closed or almost closed throttle. It wouldn't matter what exhaust I had fitted to my bike, it wouldn't increase my "visibility" one bit.

The time when you hear bikers' offensively loud exhausts is when they have a clear road ahead of them and they rev the nuts off their bikes.

Yes, of course revving the nuts off a bike makes for max noise and speed, but I was thinking of something different:

When filtering through traffic, below 10mph - in keeping with the police bible 'Road Craft' - I found that a quick blip of the throttle (with the clutch pulled in) was a more effective (and polite) way of warning car drivers of my presence.

We all know that the horn is supposed to be for this purpose (Rule 92), but 99% of folk think it's a rebuke. So a blip of the 'pipe' and we can all co-exist on the road safely.

Robert

a little "clump" followed by blissful silence

...The time when you hear bikers' offensively loud exhausts is when they have a clear road ahead of them and they rev the nuts off their bikes.

Personally, whenever I hear an unsilenced bike being thrashed (and we get them all the time where I live), I always hope for a little "clump" followed by blissful silence. Sadly, it never happens.

Words fail me.

Let me give it a try.

You hope that the bike rider has a "clump" - a ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.

An astonishing thing to say and one that is compounded by the fact that:

a) you state you are a bike rider yourself, and

b) you have defended this view several times in response to other posts, so you are clearly not joking.

Consider this: There are folk on this Forum who have had accidents, in cars or on motorbikes, and they carry the wounds and misery of their injuries with them even today. Others have lost friends or family in accidents.

Is that what you wish for others? Or did you simply want death when you said “followed by a blissful silence”?

Blatantly hoping for someone to have a serious RTA, or to die, is something so offensive that you should apologise or risk being banned. (Moderator - view please?).

You are clearly a person who has so much anger to vent that you can’t see what a total ****nal you are.
You remind me of the British National Party, were prejudice and rage have overwhelmed any common sense or reason that might once have existed at birth.

Are your remarks always this stupid, or were you just making a special effort today?

Robert

b) you have defended this view several times in response to other posts, so you are clearly not joking.

The poster has explained his comment and placed it in a context that is understandable. You are not compelled to agree with it.

Blatantly hoping for someone to have a serious RTA, or to die, is something so offensive that you should apologise or risk being banned. (Moderator - view please?).

Please, not another member banned for expressing an opinion that is misunderstood or disagreed with.

When filtering through traffic, below 10mph - in keeping with the police bible 'Road Craft' - I found that a quick blip of the throttle (with the clutch pulled in) was a more effective (and polite) way of warning car drivers of my presence.

When I used to ride in evening commuter traffic a 'blip' would often be enough to provoke somebody in the queue into thinking they should try a race - as a result I'd see some real stupidity as somebody tried to make a point I wasn't actually asking them to prove.

The poster has explained his comment and placed it in a context that is understandable. You are not compelled to agree with it.

Please, not another member banned for expressing an opinion that is misunderstood or disagreed with.

Occasionally, the question of 'Free Speech' comes up, usually in a politics show on TV.

The idea is widely misunderstood as: "You can say anything you like; it's your right to express your views even if others vehemently disagree".

The truth is we do not have Free Speech in this country, or in any other civilised country for that matter.

As Jeremy Clarkson discovered, you cannot use the "N" word when describing a black person.

Extreme religious views, such as those from Islamic State, are often deemed unacceptable by leaders and news organisations around the world.

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Qatada was deported from the UK for preaching his 'hate infidels' message in UK streets. (I suspect even you would have called for him to have been banned from this forum?)

So "The poster has explained his comment ...... You are not compelled to agree with it." is missing the point for the above reasons.

And judging from the replies of others members, it has not been "misunderstood".

So, you are mistaken. There are some things that we cannot say with impunity, and wishing motorcyclists die is one of them!

Incidentally, you failed to mention that I suggested two courses of action: apologise; or risk being banned. I would much prefer the former :thumb:

Robert

Occasionally, the question of 'Free Speech' comes up, usually in a politics show on TV.

The idea is widely misunderstood as: "You can say anything you like; it's your right to express your views even if others vehemently disagree".

The truth is we do not have Free Speech in this country, or in any other civilised country for that matter.

As Jeremy Clarkson discovered, you cannot use the "N" word when describing a black person.

Extreme religious views, such as those from Islamic State, are often deemed unacceptable by leaders and news organisations around the world.

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Qatada was deported from the UK for preaching his 'hate infidels' message in UK streets. (I suspect even you would have called for him to have been banned from this forum?)

So "The poster has explained his comment ...... You are not compelled to agree with it." is missing the point for the above reasons.

And judging from the replies of others members, it has not been "misunderstood".

So, you are mistaken. There are some things that we cannot say with impunity, and wishing motorcyclists die is one of them!

Incidentally, you failed to mention that I suggested two courses of action: apologise; or risk being banned. I would much prefer the former :thumb:

Robert

Offensively condescending and wrong on so many levels.

Robert

Bikers eh?

Although I am now regretting it, I had given the post the benefit of the doubt: namely that "motorbike" meant a motorbike, not a scooter-like bike that ARE slow!

Cheers,
Robert
(Former ZZR1100, Fireblade rider, RD250 closed circuit club racing)

I'm talking middle to lower order range stuff but still motorbikes (scooters rarely cause a problem in my experience). Not the blatant high-end stuff as those normally take off.

Thanks whoever it was that is waiting for me to fall off it hit something and die, horrendous statement that.

Un silenced motorbike rider, with grin from ear to ear riding mainly in a pack of horrible *******s that would smash your face in for saying that :(

This thread seems to be going well :wallbash:

This thread seems to be going well :wallbash:

Yeah.. I still can't believe you guys are going at it.... far more important things to chat about like our lovely cars.... or who wants to come to Brighton and have a cocktail with me in my favourite bar ?... LOL

Last edited:
What irritates you about motorbikers?

...those that feel the need to rev their bikes at traffic lights. Does the bike have an idling issue? If not, it isn't going to stall if you stop revving it.

The car driver should't have blocked the junction but the biker is stupid to go full throttle through a small gap between cars knowing that there is a high chance the cars are going to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom