What MPG are people getting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
on my W212 2013 E220 CDI AMG estate the last motorway run at 60mph gave me 61.4mpg
- note this was the trip computer reading

another motorway run this weekend of 231 miles gave me 58.63mpg brim-to-brim at 60mph on CC (apart from the 50mph avg speed zone of 13 miles on the M1, and the return leg was a full car with 4 passengers and a full boot :D TC showed 60.4 so TC is pretty accurate :bannana: really happy with this....

1984 W123 300D Automatic (with aircon!). 28 mpg in London traffic. 38mpg on the motorway. 40+ mpg at 55 mph over long distances.

Always used Michelin Energy tires, Chevron Techron fuel additive and Auto-Rx engine oil cleaner in all my cars.

2017 CLS350d on a 400 mile round trip Nottingham to Bournemouth 42.9mpg. Considering that I was not hanging about that's no bad.

Trip to Manchester.......Over 56 mpg !!!!! On an E350 Bluetec Class Coupe, I'm sure I've got more than this before to. Driving with my ECO head on.

Attachments

• image-2937862380.jpg
    image-2937862380.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 25
Been really really impressed with my C250 cdi coupe. When I drive like an old f**t it has returned 70 MPG. That was on a 55 mph run for 30 miles with around 24 of those on the motorway. Good weather, no lights wipers etc.

I regularly get over 60mpg on a run even when doing 70mph. For instance the other day I drove from the west midlands to Cambridge doing motorway and A road speeds and I averaged around 57mpg.

If I put my foot down and/or in start stop traffic it tends to bottom out at around 43mpg.

Been really really impressed with my C250 cdi coupe. When I drive like an old f**t it has returned 70 MPG.

I've just picked up a C250d Estate, not tried yet to see how many MPG I can squeeze out of it, I did get 68mpg out of my CLK220CDi. Nevertheless, without making any effort it reports 47MPG for now.

Russ

Been running my W205 since Nov 2015, clocked up 24K and fuel consumption is now stable at 51-52 on a brim to brim tank of 20 mile each way B road commute.
Have been abit surprised it has taken so long to get up there, this is my first Merc and prev VAG's have peaked after 10K. Seems the Merc needed more miles to settle in - any more experienced members coment please?

2009 E320 (W211)

over 20,000miles average around 35 BUT thres a few miles towing 1500Kg of caravan in the mix.

Without the caravan I think the average would be in the 36-38 area.

2008 E320 CDI 40mpg mixed driving.

W203 C200 cdi Sport Edition. Manual On a commute to work, 88 mile trip, anything from 58-62 mpg. Since last reset 8000 mile ago, 49.8 mpg average. Car has been remapped from 122bhp to approx 160bhp and has the dpf deleted.

I've got a C220 W204 with the 18" wheels. I'm getting max of 50MPG on a frugal 70mph run. My previous car gave me 70MPG sometimes! Should I be worried or is this just the nature of the beast?

CLS350CDI Shooting Brake.
Getting a real 29.3mpg average across 8785 miles in all conditions since I got it last Feb. All fuel and mileage tracked.
Motorway is better but actually not by that much. Get about 36mpg out of a trip oop North with the cruise on at +20.
The computer tells me over 40mpg but clearly that is not a true figure.
I was getting almost exactly the same economy out of my old 2002 S210 E320CDI estate so I'm not exactly impressed with the fuel economy improvements in the last 11 years.

CLS350CDI Shooting Brake.
Getting a real 29.3mpg average across 8785 miles in all conditions since I got it last Feb. All fuel and mileage tracked.
Motorway is better but actually not by that much. Get about 36mpg out of a trip oop North with the cruise on at +20.
The computer tells me over 40mpg but clearly that is not a true figure.
I was getting almost exactly the same economy out of my old 2002 S210 E320CDI estate so I'm not exactly impressed with the fuel economy improvements in the last 11 years.

Not surprised at that at all, my E350cdi estate used to lie as badly.

My E350 3.5 petrol however is actually under reading, oh, and now I have done 40k miles in it it is averaging 3mpg behind the diesel, with an average of 29.7mpg calculated.

I have a theory!! Haha
No, seriously, I reckon it is all about where the OBC starts off from cold, the E350cdi used to start at 40mpg and slowly climb down and then slowly climbs up if I did more than 15 miles or so.
Where as the petrel starts at 14mpg, sits there for around a mile or two and then slowly creeps up.

My theory is 14mpg from cold is probably a little low for the petrol, where as 40mpg from the 350cdi from cold is wildly optimistic.
As many of the journeys I do are sub 15 miles, which is where the 350cdi starts to creep up again, this means most of the journeys are well out on the OBC.

I have seen it with many petrol and diesel cars now, 330i vs 330d, 530i vs 530d, 335i vs 535d, A6 3.0tdi vs 3.2fsi and they all do the same.
I suppose they have to work out an average owners average journey length to get it nearer the truth, but I reckon far more people do sub 10 mile journeys for 80% of the time then they do 20+ mile journeys.
If the computer started at 29mpg from cold on the 350cdi I think the OBC would be much more accurate for many more owners.

I've got a C220 W204 with the 18" wheels. I'm getting max of 50MPG on a frugal 70mph run. My previous car gave me 70MPG sometimes! Should I be worried or is this just the nature of the beast?

Without knowing what car it is hard to tell?

50mpg average from a W204 sounds good to me.

CL500 does 20.1 in the town, I tend not to use it in town but when I have to use it I get this mpg, switch off if stopped at the two traffic lights in Dundee where it takes a long time to change.

On a long run get 30mpg with cruise and air con switched on

Well about 17 around town and on short journeys . About 25 on a run at up to 80 with busts of fun acceleration when I get bored. And I have seen 30 ,just, when really trying at 60 on cruise....but life's too short.
CLS55

My theory is 14mpg from cold is probably a little low for the petrol, where as 40mpg from the 350cdi from cold is wildly optimistic.
As many of the journeys I do are sub 15 miles, which is where the 350cdi starts to creep up again, this means most of the journeys are well out on the OBC.

There is something amiss with the way it's calculated.
It would be possible to test your idea with frequent fill-ups and some data logging. I might look into this.

I can also see the Winter/Summer sine wave in my economy data. The old E320 used to use about 10-20% more fuel in the Winter.

I can't complain too much as most of my journeys are under 10 miles to and from work with the occasional long one to visits etc...
I didn't buy the car for economy specifically, my history has me only ever having owned two cars that did more than about 25mpg on a regular basis and they're the two last ones the E320 and the CLS350. So while I'd like better economy and actually expected it to be better with the 350, it's not a major thing for me.
If I had something that did a consistent >50mpg I don't think it would be the sort of car I'd be satisfied with. Silence and power are more interesting to me than outright economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom