Which Track Day tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I'm planning to do some Track days in the New Year.

I'm no stranger to the track on 2 wheels, but a complete novice on 4 (!), so I'll be after some tuition to get me started.

How many of you do Track days? and what tyres would you recommend for a fat lardy SL63 weighting in at just under 2 tons?

Clearly, I'm not driving a Lotus Elise or a Caterham, so tyre choice needs to be specifically geared towards the heavier car.

I realise that a SL63 is not a Track day car of choice, but I also know that high speed training, learning car balance, and the opportunity to fully exploit 500+ bhp can only help me drive more safely, and quickly, (particularly in the wet). Not to mention have more fun!

So which tyres?

(I intend to swap the tyres over after TD weekends, so road manners are not a priority).

Thanks,
Robert

I would go Michelin Pilot Super Sport - can be used both on road and perform very well on track and are long lasting. Ran many sets on my C63 with numerous track days.

For the life of me I can't remember my track tyres but you can get super sticky.

Will check

A048 as already stated above (assuming it's dry!)

Yokohama for me as well they do a road legal track trye ( can't remember the model name) which is good in the wet as well

I realise that a SL63 is not a Track day car of choice, but I also know that high speed training, learning car balance, and the opportunity to fully exploit 500+ bhp can only help me drive more safely, and quickly, (particularly in the wet).

If the aim is learning rather than getting the fastest lap times surely normal road tyres would be best? :dk:

If the aim is learning rather than getting the fastest lap times surely normal road tyres would be best? :dk:
Good point. Difficult to argue with that!

I guess the old bike racer in me wants to go round corners a little bit quicker for the fun of it, not the lap time!

Of course a track is a very different environment to a public road, you can push a lot harder in relative safety, so some grippier tyres make that possible.

Practicing sliding, drifting, and smoothness are all the same on track day tyres, just a tad faster.

It's a fair point though. I'll give it some thought, and if I end up with a day of track and fast road work, then staying with regular road tyres would definitely be the right choice.

I'm yet to book the day, so any recommendations for professional tuition for a track & road day folks?

Cheers,
Robert

I'm yet to book the day, so any recommendations for professional tuition for a track & road day folks?

Cheers,
Robert

I had an entire day to myself (literally - the circuit had no other drivers) at Llandow in South Wales with John Bussell in my C55AMG - he is excellent, tons of patience and a nice guy to boot. Llandow is a small circuit, but you could do it on other circuits depending on availability.

A medium worn set of road tyres would be my ideal for learning.

I would take advise from the track you are going to use,

Robert,

I have used these and they are very good.

Car Limits.

Cheers

Justin

Many thanks :)

I've just booked the 2 person day on 4th Feb - Airfield Training day. Myself and another guy.

I'll report back on how it went in due course...

Incidentally, which course did you do? The 'Circuit Day' or the 'Airfield Training Day'?

Cheers,
Robert

Robert, I had one on one tuition a couple of years ago on the airfield he had me spinning around every where as I definitely found my cars limit . Enjoy your day and maybe you could join us on a track day in the near future. Brgds, Justin

Hi

The c63bs had these offered as an option in the same size requirement as your sl63 -

Sport Maxx Race ? Dunlop Passenger Tyres

'The Don' has suggested the current best road legal track tyre available. Be aware though that their performance tails off quite dramatically in the wet so give them a bit more allowance driving to and from track day if there is any standing water around.

Have a good day on the 4th. :)

Steve

Just for future reference, I have used these guys twice - in my old e92 M3 and C63 - quite happy with the days. The lady behind it all, her son is Ben Barker who races in the current Porsche Supercup that races at the F1 weekends - he taught me in the M3 - good guy:

Performance Car Control Courses | Driver Development Programme

Regarding track tyres - I have tracked my C63 a few times and I wouldn't recommend special tyres for your SL - its too heavy and the extra strain from track tyres that can be placed on your suspension components isn't worth it. What i did was buy a set of OEM 18s with continental road tyres to use on track as you will put you standard tyres through some serious wear. In the end I realized the C63 was too heavy and too expensive (but great fun on track) so I bought a e46 M3 to use as a track car. I think the Nurburgring or a similar circuit is better suited for our cars.

enjoy your carlimits day.

Dunc

Just checked the link and it seems they no longer are running these driver days due to Prodrive course being sold - opps

I can recommend Pilot Supersports also, run em on my Sport Estate on 19" rims which gets lobbed around the twisties quite a bit! :thumb:

Regarding track tyres - I have tracked my C63 a few times and I wouldn't recommend special tyres for your SL - its too heavy and the extra strain from track tyres that can be placed on your suspension components isn't worth it

This was my thought as well. I didn't post it as I thought it a tad negative, but I agree

Really grippy tyres are great fun, but they just push the envelope further away from you. You'll learn more slithering around on old crappy tyres than you will with a set of A048Rs

I used to run my BMW 2002 on 205/60 A032Rs but used a set of 10-year-old 145-section Pirellis for a drift day. I haven't laughed so much for years - it wouldn't go in a straight line!

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom