All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assume you have the latest model C63s? Also did you tell your dealer about this?
Chaps...

This is getting silly.

Is the C63s on the same 4WD platform as the x43 cars? No.

Is there an issue with tyres scrubbing at less than full lock on the C63 2WD platform? No.

Is the occasional scrubbing at full lock on AMG 2WD cars normal? Yes.

All that this ill-informed comment is doing is adding to the noise that, until recently, drowned out legitimate complaints regarding the issue on the x43 4WD platform.

And people wonder why MBUK are reluctant to put technical information in the public domain? :rolleyes:

Chaps...

This is getting silly.

Is the C63s on the same 4WD platform as the x43 cars? No.

Is there an issue with tyres scrubbing at less than full lock on the C63 2WD platform? No.

Is the occasional scrubbing at full lock on AMG 2WD cars normal? Yes.

All that this ill-informed comment is doing is adding to the noise that, until recently, drowned out legitimate complaints regarding the issue on the x43 4WD platform.

And people wonder why MBUK are reluctant to put technical information in the public domain? :rolleyes:

Totally agree, the GLC owners have a really valid point but let's not confuse the issue with something that is considered normal.

RR

I'm pleased that MB acknowledge that there's an issue and are prepared to fit all season tyres to the models affected, however I don't think I'd be all that pleased if I was a 43 owner.

Surely buying a "performance" model means that you want the best performing tyres (usually summer tyres) to get the best out of your car, however switching to all season tyres means that there is bound to be a compromise to handling.

I also hope that MB have also considered the speed rating for the all season tyres, as again the speed ratings tend to be lower than for performance tyres.

RR

An email has been sent to my dealer requesting confirmation that the new MB-UK announcement will be applied to all affected vehicles rather than just GLC vehicles as stipulated.

It has been and continues to be frustrating - but as some have said earlier, the first step for MB-UK is to admit there is a fault with the RHD versions rather than a characteristic, which they have now formally done.

It will be interesting to see whether MB-UK will ask customers who choose to go down the route of all-weather tyres to sign the same waiver they introduced in early Feb. Would you sign and accept the tyres or hold out for a proper mechanical fix?

An email has been sent to my dealer requesting confirmation that the new MB-UK announcement will be applied to all affected vehicles rather than just GLC vehicles as stipulated.

It has been and continues to be frustrating - but as some have said earlier, the first step for MB-UK is to admit there is a fault with the RHD versions rather than a characteristic, which they have now formally done.

It will be interesting to see whether MB-UK will ask customers who choose to go down the route of all-weather tyres to sign the same waiver they introduced in early Feb. Would you sign and accept the tyres or hold out for a proper mechanical fix?
I have done the same so will be interesting to compare our replies. As for a waiver I don't think so some how. Not sure of the practicalities of changing tyres during winter/summer months eg. storage etc.. as MB will no doubt charge for this type of facility?

I have done the same so will be interesting to compare our replies. As for a waiver I don't think so some how. Not sure of the practicalities of changing tyres during winter/summer months eg. storage etc.. as MB will no doubt charge for this type of facility?
Just heard back from my dealer, they said it'll take a couple of weeks but they are getting tyres sorted for me.

Just heard back from my dealer, they said it'll take a couple of weeks but they are getting tyres sorted for me.

Are you going to change now or keep your summers and change next winter? Incidentally did you contact your dealer re the recent MB statement or had you already reported the juddering?

Last edited:
Are you going to change now or keep your summers and change next winter? Incidentally did you contact your dealer re the recent MB statement or had you already reported the juddering?
I'm changing asap as the juddering is playing havoc with my spine. I reported the problem about a month ago and tried (unsuccessfully) to reject the vehicle.

Nothing back from my dealer yet re the recent MB statement on All Weather tyres but hey it's March 1. so guess he's pretty busy so will give him until early next week and try again.

Nothing back from my dealer yet re the recent MB statement on All Weather tyres but hey it's March 1. so guess he's pretty busy so will give him until early next week and try again.

Likewise from me. No response as of yet. Am hopeful that they're getting their ducks in a row and contacting the respective customers to advise them of the outcome.

Currently we have had only one confirmation that a dealership will provide all weather tyres to all affected vehicles (assumed this included C and E class 4-MATICs). Perhaps the dealers don't know for certain and are following up - will simply be a waiting game.

Likewise from me. No response as of yet. Am hopeful that they're getting their ducks in a row and contacting the respective customers to advise them of the outcome.

Currently we have had only one confirmation that a dealership will provide all weather tyres to all affected vehicles (assumed this included C and E class 4-MATICs). Perhaps the dealers don't know for certain and are following up - will simply be a waiting game.

Yep. But MB will have to be consistent on this so if one dealer is saying ALL AFFECTED vehicles then the rest of the MB dealerships should be singing from the same hymn sheet. Incidentally if/when you are offered AW tyre replacement will you act immediately or keep them on hold until later this year?

I emailed my dealer on Monday and got a reply saying that they are waiting for a reply from MB-UK. On Tuesday they told me that they were going to change the tyres on my C43 Coupe but it will take a couple of weeks.
If they can get an answer in that time I would guess it's your dealers that are dragging their heels. I am lucky though, the guys at my dealership are very good and I understand that they can only do what MB-UK let them.

I emailed my dealer on Monday and got a reply saying that they are waiting for a reply from MB-UK. On Tuesday they told me that they were going to change the tyres on my C43 Coupe but it will take a couple of weeks.
If they can get an answer in that time I would guess it's your dealers that are dragging their heels. I am lucky though, the guys at my dealership are very good and I understand that they can only do what MB-UK let them.

It's good to know that some MB dealers are on the ball and actively addressing customer issues. I also emailed my dealer on Monday and have not heard a peep.

I'm encouraged by the fact that you have received confirmation that they will change your tyres. It's a good sign for the other C43 owners on this forum!

Regarding DRIVER200's question - i'm not entirely sure what Ill do. Most likely I will wait and see if the crabbing subsides over summer, and get a little bit more life out of the tyres before swapping to AW for the winter. If the crabbing gets out of hand and there are reports from those who have taken AW tyres immediately that it significantly reduces the sensation - i may get them on sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
It's good to know that some MB dealers are on the ball and actively addressing customer issues. I also emailed my dealer on Monday and have not heard a peep.

I'm encouraged by the fact that you have received confirmation that they will change your tyres. It's a good sign for the other C43 owners on this forum!

Regarding DRIVER200's question - i'm not entirely sure what Ill do. Most likely I will wait and see if the crabbing subsides over summer, and get a little bit more life out of the tyres before swapping to AW for the winter. If the crabbing gets out of hand and there are reports from those who have taken AW tyres immediately that it significantly reduces the sensation - i may get them on sooner rather than later.

I guess the seasonal timing of this isn't helping as it won't be too long before summer arrives and then owners will have to think about putting their original tyres back on and storing the AW's. Assume if you decide to change to AW tyres soon you plan to change back to your original tyres during the warmer months and then back again to AW come October time?

I guess the seasonal timing of this isn't helping as it won't be too long before summer arrives and then owners will have to think about putting their original tyres back on and storing the AW's. Assume if you decide to change to AW tyres soon you plan to change back to your original tyres during the warmer months and then back again to AW come October time?

You may not even have the option to swap, as there is still conjecture over the offer. Some say that MB will provide the AW tyres free of charge, but the dealership will keep the used original summer tyres - effectively a swap.

Others are asking for for the AW tyres and to keep the original summer tyres.
There's still a grey area around this - and also around the potential to store the tyres at the dealership (whether this should be provided for free or at a charge).

Still plenty to play out before this one issue is sorted!

You may not even have the option to swap, as there is still conjecture over the offer. Some say that MB will provide the AW tyres free of charge, but the dealership will keep the used original summer tyres - effectively a swap.

Others are asking for for the AW tyres and to keep the original summer tyres.
There's still a grey area around this - and also around the potential to store the tyres at the dealership (whether this should be provided for free or at a charge).

Still plenty to play out before this one issue is sorted!

Maybe dejongj can throw some light on this re whether owners can keep their original tyres as he seems to be in regular contact with his dealer?

I find this all amazing - We have all paid in the region of £50k for new MB's and are now wondering how to deal with changing tyres twice a year - WTF. I keep thinking it's a nightmare and will wake up...

Tony

I find this all amazing - We have all paid in the region of £50k for new MB's and are now wondering how to deal with changing tyres twice a year - WTF. I keep thinking it's a nightmare and will wake up...

Tony

Well it's actually moved on from that onto whether MB will let you keep your original summer tyres for future use!! crazy or what?

Maybe dejongj can throw some light on this re whether owners can keep their original tyres as he seems to be in regular contact with his dealer?

My caller said I could keep the old tyres - they have done 9k miles

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom