Another "Copper" story.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But at night in driving rain, all you see are headlights.

He said he spotted a police marking on the bonnet, I think this happened in a built up area where there are street lighting. Still, its bad form to do this to a motorist, egg them on to speed, plus tailgating @ 60mph in a wet road, he really should know better, and I dare say a traffic cop does, so it may not be a traffic one, but a normal bobby.

I can second verytalldave's statement. Some years back I was travelling along the old M6 north through Birmingham - at 2am on a Saturday morning at a speed not a million miles away from 80mph - in the middle lane - the rest of the motorway was empty. Some huge headlights appeared right on my rear bumper and stayed there. It frightened the living daylights out of me and all I did was pull over into the nearside lane. The car stayed where it was but not being in the glare of its headlights I saw that it was a police range rover. The car zoomed off around 30 seconds later displaying a sign in the back window - speed limit 70mph slow down.
Reading the above thread I would say this lot were trying it on too.
Luckily I didn't do anything I shouldn't but it was more by luck than judgement.
Les

I can second verytalldave's statement. Some years back I was travelling along the old M6 north through Birmingham - at 2am on a Saturday morning at a speed not a million miles away from 80mph - in the middle lane - the rest of the motorway was empty. Some huge headlights appeared right on my rear bumper and stayed there. It frightened the living daylights out of me and all I did was pull over into the nearside lane. The car stayed where it was but not being in the glare of its headlights I saw that it was a police range rover. The car zoomed off around 30 seconds later displaying a sign in the back window - speed limit 70mph slow down.
Luckily I didn't do anything I shouldn't but it was more by luck than judgement.
Les

Maybe it was his way of telling you to use the nearside lane without the inconvenience of a stop? :rolleyes:

The car stayed where it was but not being in the glare of its headlights I saw that it was a police range rover. The car zoomed off around 30 seconds later displaying a sign in the back window - speed limit 70mph slow down.
Les

Could have been worse, he could have given you a ticket, and/or gone to the hassle of pulling you over for a word about using the inside lane. Not a bad way to be dealt with IMO. I'd choose that any day vs the Camera and an NIP thru the post.

In response to the comments, yes there could be another explanation other than the basic jist of this thread as some have pointed out. The reason I repeated my experience is that in my view it did bear some similarity to other postings.

I was in the middle lane and I might well have been going "quickly". I fully realise that I could have been stopped and yes I did appreciate the way the matter was dealt with.

Until the range rover appeared, I was the only one on the road and on that occasion made use of that fact.

Les

Les

(Cough) Middle lane moron! (Cough) :)

(Cough) Middle lane moron! (Cough) :)

Yes! But there was no-one else on the road except me [until the range rover arrived]. If there was other traffic and I was getting in their way then I would fully accept your point. :p
Les

If you didn't notice the Range Rover till it arrived right behind you then you definitely needed to be in the inside lane as you weren't concentrating enough to be stuck right in the middle.

Dave (worlds most perfect driver, never make a mistake, oh no ;) )

The object of the tailgating was to make you worried, perhaps? A sort of reminder that we know who you are, maybe?

Well at least that was the case when we borrowed our brothers car. He made the mistake of arguing with a copper and making an official complaint. His car was "marked" for special attention everytime it was spotted.

I felt sorry for the new owner when he sold it.

If you fitted cameras to your car, would you have to have a sign up saying so? I think you have to when they're in/on buildings - 'cameras in use', type of thing.

Cameras on cars - damned good idea IMO.

If you fitted cameras to your car, would you have to have a sign up saying so? I think you have to when they're in/on buildings - 'cameras in use', type of thing.

Cameras on cars - damned good idea IMO.

You're allowed to fit reversing or 'parking' cameras to help you park your vehicle so I don't think if you fitted them you would need to tell anyone.

have heard of cops doing this before, pisses me off:mad:

You know what?This happened to both our accountant and then a few weeks later the managing director.
I did not post about it as i did not believe it at first and did not want to bash any coppers but both now have 3points.
The accountant said the car behind was so close, he sped away and the car come closer till he thought it was a carjacking, where they hit your bumper, you stop and some giants come out and dispose of you.
after about 4 attemps of speeding and catching up, the lights came on and he was done on the A580.
I did not believe this until a few weeks later, on the same A580, guess what? happened to the managing director. he said when he saw the car so close he could not see the front plates in his mirror, he just took off and they followed him. Just as he was about to drive into a lit garage , the lights came on. He was furious.

Still not sure whether to believe this or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom