• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another newbie - C63 AMG Coupe

When I order my parts, I went to MB dealership along with my chassis number. Told them want I needed, paid a deposit and they then got the parts in the next day for me to collect 👍

The only part number I supplied was the black series M159 hydraulic lifters. These are not listed for m156, so they had to special order them in from Germany. They are also non refundable item. Weistec sell them too but they charge nearly 3 times the amount.

Gotcha, thanks - another hangover from Jag days, Jaguar often changed parts and sometimes it was cheaper to get stuff from Ford, Volvo or Land Rover dealers (cos my cars were all from the Ford-owned era) so having the part number was handy - also for searching eBay etc.

Did you replace the valve cover bolts as well?

Gotcha, thanks - another hangover from Jag days, Jaguar often changed parts and sometimes it was cheaper to get stuff from Ford, Volvo or Land Rover dealers (cos my cars were all from the Ford-owned era) so having the part number was handy - also for searching eBay etc.

Did you replace the valve cover bolts as well?

No need to renew the valve cover bolts friend. They only needed cleaning with brake cleaner. A few that had some surface corrosion, I just lightly polished the head with 2000 grit to bring out the shine. Useful to have some little envelopes too to place the bolts in and note where they belong. If you can get the parts from MB, will be great as you'll know the part you ordered are the correct ones in referenceto your chassis number. I think the valve gaskets will have different part number to the metal covers.

Photo of my engine 🙂

20221022_161144.jpg

It wasn't for cosmetic reasons I was thinking of changing them, the bolts have crush tubes on them and usually they are considered to be single-use. Do the valve covers not come with a set of bolts for that reason?

It wasn't for cosmetic reasons I was thinking of changing them, the bolts have crush tubes on them and usually they are considered to be single-use. Do the valve covers not come with a set of bolts for that reason?

Sounds like the plastic cam covers have a different style screws? On the metal covers the screws are normal without any crush tubes. It's just a normal reusable screw that pops in and tighten.

I can see the fcp kit comes with the screws which made me wonder but now I can see the reason why they included it, the screws are different too on the plastic covers. 👍

No need to renew the valve cover bolts friend. They only needed cleaning with brake cleaner. A few that had some surface corrosion, I just lightly polished the head with 2000 grit to bring out the shine. Useful to have some little envelopes too to place the bolts in and note where they belong. If you can get the parts from MB, will be great as you'll know the part you ordered are the correct ones in referenceto your chassis number. I think the valve gaskets will have different part number to the metal covers.

Photo of my engine 🙂

View attachment 147478
Tidy!:cool:

What's your secret for keeping all the ally castings looking top notch?

No secret formula or miracle products my friend. I use soft cotton rags or microfiber towels and spray brake cleaning fluid over casting. Spray and wipe immediately before fluid evaporates and working in small sections at a time. It melts any surface grease and dirt onto the towel. Only need to do once in a while say after service when you can get finger prints from changing the oil. Any shine bits around engine, i use Autosol. 🙂👍

20220508_192044.jpg20220828_133950.jpg20220828_151701.jpg20220828_172307.jpg20220828_172325.jpg20220903_133334.jpg20220903_133348.jpg

Photo of my engine 🙂

View attachment 147478
Lovely and clean 👌🏻

No secret formula or miracle products my friend. I use soft cotton rags or microfiber towels and spray brake cleaning fluid over casting. Spray and wipe immediately before fluid evaporates and working in small sections at a time. It melts any surface grease and dirt onto the towel. Only need to do once in a while say after service when you can get finger prints from changing the oil. Any shine bits around engine, i use Autosol. 🙂👍

View attachment 147548View attachment 147549View attachment 147550View attachment 147551View attachment 147552View attachment 147553View attachment 147554
Taking it apart to clean it is cheating! Minty fresh though 👌

But unlike the engine bay....its fake!!

It's the fake stuff, very low maintenance but still requires the usual vacuuming 🙂

Wow, looks a lot more real than most artificial grass I've seen!

Back on topic, the 63 Motorsport adjuster plate kit arrived yesterday. Still to get; the gaskets, cam cover bolts, M156 timing lock kit and a 27mm socket to turn the engine over. Think that's everything?

T30 tork 1/2" drive socket. Maybe get a small set range from ebay, very useful to have?

T30 shorty 1/4" drive socket. (This socket needs to be slightly shorter in lenght to help get the cam cover bolts on the strut side. Hard to reach)

Rachet drive set 1/2", 3/4" and 1/4 (will need 1/2" and the smaller 1/4").

I'm sure you have these but just giving heads up 🙂

Torque ratchet covering smaller range say 20 to 25NM (Max) for the camshaft adjuster screws and 40NM for the phaser bolts plus 90 degrees. I'll post up the torque settings.

On the E63, i recommend removing slam panel section to take out the radiator fan. The left hand top hose will need to be popped out too, will get some loss of coolant but pop the hose back in as soon as you get the fan essay out of the way.

Useful to have some old unwanted cotton clothing or rags, to catch absorb any oil spillage. Thankfully i had some old unwanted baby clothing that i used to grab oil spillage from the top cam and front timing covers. Will get some drip, it's useful to catch the drips, might fall onto the exhaust manifold, alternator and belts.

Get some cans of brake cleaning fluid too, eurocarparts are fairly reasonable 🙂👍

Loctite blue threadlocker too for the camshaft adjuster screws.

Big thanks for all that. Think I have everything except the short/low-profile Torx bits and the timing lock kit. Found this on ebay, not a Toolhub branded one like yours but seems legit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom