• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Bought an R129 unseen - a Cautionary Tale...

I can just see the headlines now:

"Free The Beaconsfield One"

Them is free already, innit....

Definitely not worth putting anymore of your cash into this until the matter is settled. You don't know whether you will get the incremental money back as well as the deposit when you don't hold a transferred V5C.

As to the evasive nature of the seller, it could be that he is bankrupt from too many dodgy dealings including with the business he was working in (hence maybe they got rid of him).

I've been in that situation with a builder. He would be constantly changing his mobile so that he had one to use for daily life and one to deal with customers when he needed their money but would not answer it when they chased him for money back/building work to be completed.

Not a penny more will change hands until I see a V5C with his name on it. It would be interesting if he didn't have such, but I'll know more when I hear from the DVSA. Given how long it's been up for sale, and that it's not listed as stolen, I think it probably will turn out to be his, though.

As a trader , he may not have put it in his name , but certainly contact the most recent keeper on the document to verify ownership .

I don't I'm afraid, it was too long ago it says.

The other 129 definitely wasn't a genuine AMG car!

Thanks for looking, anyway. This one might have been the 'other one' you recall, of course; it has the bodykit, but it's definitely not otherwise an AMG.

He was going to ring me on Monday evening, after I'd had a chance to sort out the poor running. I emailed him at the weekend asking for the V5C serial number to speed things up, and I also told him that I'd written to DVSA asking for details of the registered keeper of the car. It's Thursday, and I still haven't heard from him; it's all gone very quiet. Hmmm....

(Just to be sure, I did another HPI check, but again, nothing adverse came up).

Last edited:
Thanks for looking, anyway. This one might have been the 'other one' you recall, of course; it has the bodykit, but it's definitely not otherwise an AMG.

He was going to ring me on Monday evening, after I'd had a chance to sort out the poor running. I emailed him at the weekend asking for the V5C serial number to speed things up, and I also told him that I'd written to DVSA asking for details of the registered keeper of the car. It's Thursday, and I still haven't heard from him; it's all gone very quiet. Hmmm....

(Just to be sure, I did another HPI check, but again, nothing adverse came up).

HPI isn't worth the paper its written on or the guarantee that comes with it. If you have a friendly PC get them to check for markers on the PNC ;)

I don't have a friendly PC, alas. Are NONE of the HPI-style checks worth anything, and if so, why not? And would my enquiry with the DVSA not show something up, if there was something to show?

I don't have a friendly PC, alas. Are NONE of the HPI-style checks worth anything, and if so, why not? And would my enquiry with the DVSA not show something up, if there was something to show?

It is very easy to bypass the registers that HPI and the like use. It is possible to take a completely written off car and rebuild it put it back on the road without it ever showing up on Vcar or a HPI check.

I've seen two legal battles with HPI one that was still on finance they didn't spot and one that was stolen both times the purchaser if the car lost.

PM me the reg and VIN and I'll see what I can do for you ;-)

It is very easy to bypass the registers that HPI and the like use. It is possible to take a completely written off car and rebuild it put it back on the road without it ever showing up on Vcar or a HPI check.

I've seen two legal battles with HPI one that was still on finance they didn't spot and one that was stolen both times the purchaser if the car lost.

PM me the reg and VIN and I'll see what I can do for you ;-)

That's terrible. I had no idea that HPI's are that worthless. Especially when they market themselves as providing some safety net and the consumer would think that you get some form of recompense.

I'm just catching up with this thread.
It's you again, isn't it?
Did you not learn your lesson from the last second-hand car you bought??????
Dear me.
60% holding deposit on an unseen item defies belief.

The E55K worked out all right in the end, though, and the R129 is looking a better decision by the day now, too. I guess I'm a sucker for dark blue cars...

I'll be looking for a period - or period-looking; I'd like a CID capability - head unit to replace the Sony one in the R129, despite the Sony 12-CD stacker in the boot. I see you had/have a job lot of MB head units in your garage. Do you by any chance have anything that would fit the bill, and if so, could I persuade you to sell it to me? I'd even pay a 60% deposit...:D

Doesn't have to be dark blue...

Last edited:

PM sent :thumb:

The E55K worked out all right in the end, though, and the R129 is looking a better decision by the day now, too. I guess I'm a sucker for dark blue cars...

I'll be looking for a period - or period-looking; I'd like a CID capability - head unit to replace the Sony one in the R129, despite the Sony 12-CD stacker in the boot. I see you had/have a job lot of MB head units in your garage. Do you by any chance have anything that would fit the bill, and if so, could I persuade you to sell it to me? I'd even pay a 60% deposit...:D

Doesn't have to be dark blue...

Have pm'd you about this (be aware others are ahead in the queue). Cheers

The plot has thickened even more...

The seller supplied the document reference number off the V5C, but a check on the DVLA website revealed that it was not correct. DVLA error; dodgy (but not too bright..) seller with a fake V5C; seller misquoted the number? :dk:

As the quickest way to resolve the situation, I've applied for a V5C in my name, and told the seller that I've done so. I've also told him that he will get no more money from me until I hold in my hand a V5C, sent from the DVLA to me at my home address, showing me as the registered keeper, and even then, only if he, his wife (in whose name the car is allegedly registered), or the (now folded) business under the banner of which the car was originally advertised is shown as the previous owner, and that if none of the latter three conditions apply, I'll be off to see the police regarding a fraudulently-obtained deposit.

His only other, and after all this hassle now my greatly preferred, option is to refund my deposit and take the car back. To be honest, I now wish I'd never seen the damn car, however much I like the colour. There's a green 1996 SL500 in Birmingham on eBay, ludicrously cheap, that I'd go and see like a shot if I didn't have this one.

There's a green 1996 SL500 in Birmingham on eBay, ludicrously cheap, that I'd go and see like a shot if I didn't have this one.

Oh%20no%20not%20again_zpsevfumw3s.jpg

:D

I have more hair than that, but the sentiment is accurate otherwise...

I forgot to add, by the way, that the DVLA declined to provide information on the registered keeper; avoiding being cheated is not, it seems, a good enough reason to ask for information. Isn't the Data Protection Act marvellous?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom