• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brake pad and alignment issues after only 5 months - any rights?

jyuk

Car
CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Hi all. My 2010 CLS 350 Grand is in for its Service D today. It's 5 months and around 4,500 since I bought it.

They've called to say that the front alignment is out and the rear pads are 80% worn. I'm not surprised they didn't offer to fix either of these things under the 12 month approved used warranty. I've said not to fix them for now as I can't face the expense right now!

However, as it's under 5,000 / 6 months since I bought the car from Mercedes Wakefield, do I have any reasonable cause for complaint? Are they likely to have known about the state of these things when they sold it to me?

For example, as it's under 6 months, perhaps I could make some use of the 2015 Consumer Rights Act?

On the multi-point check from when I bought the car, there's a tick against "Brakes: Check Discs and Pads for Wear and signs of Faulty Operation". Nothing about alignment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I cannot see how any garage could be held liable for a wheel alignment issue picked up after you having the car for 5 months and covering 4,500 miles.

If you did not notice any signs of misalignment when you picked it up they could argue that the alignment issue could have been caused by you driving over a pothole for instance or possibly brushing a kerb.

The only come back I could see here is if the misalignment is caused by wear in any of the suspension components or track control arms?

As for the brakes, well 80% worn is also 20% life left. They are also a wear item so your warranty will not cover those.

Rear brake pads are cheap, buy MB parts and have a local mechanic change them or keep an eye on their wear. No mention of front brake pad wear?

Without checking the alignment then how do they know it is out , tyre wear ? as i dont imagine the dealer setting up the gear to check every used car prior to its sale. Even if they did then you could have hit a lot of potholes in the 4500 miles since you got the car , which is exactly what they will say.

As part of its service / used car check before you got the car the tread wear should have been noted across the tyres width, mine was.

Are the pads 80% worn ,have you had a look or just going by what was reported . Mine has done 35k and still on the original pads (f+r) with the rears at less then 50% worn.

Kenny

you can hit a pot hole and alignment would go out, over 5 months you would then notice the wear.

brake pads again might have been 50% when u picked the car up.

id say take it on the chin and get it sorted!

@DSM10000 - Front brakes were at 50% apparently. As you said, going to get the work done elsewhere - cheers for the reply.

@KennyN - Just going on what they told me. There is tyre wear at edges of front tyres - they wanted to replace them too. I suppose I wondered what Merc's acceptable wear % is when doing their checks before sale - based on your experience, presumably mine were 50%+ 4,500 miles ago.

Thanks all - fair points and I guess I just need to crack on! Just a bit stressed as I'm a bit skint at the moment - bought a car that's more expensive to run than my usual cars. Can't complain though, it's a nice car.

@DSM10000 - Front brakes were at 50% apparently. As you said, going to get the work done elsewhere - cheers for the reply.

@KennyN - Just going on what they told me. There is tyre wear at edges of front tyres - they wanted to replace them too. I suppose I wondered what Merc's acceptable wear % is when doing their checks before sale - based on your experience, presumably mine were 50%+ 4,500 miles ago.

Thanks all - fair points and I guess I just need to crack on! Just a bit stressed as I'm a bit skint at the moment - bought a car that's more expensive to run than my usual cars. Can't complain though, it's a nice car.

There is a dealer (? MB Newcastle)that sells genuine MB parts on eBay etc at good discounts.

Pagid pads are also (in my experience over several cars ,Audi, Saab, MB) very good.

As you say, get a good local mechanic and source your parts carefully and you will be enjoying your car again.

Good luck :)

Rear pads 80% worn? That says there is still 20% left. I drive my cars until the warning lights come on, that's what they are there for :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom