Do you wash your own car or not

Do you wash your own car or not

• I wash my own car

Votes: 438 82.6%
  • Some one else cleans my car

Votes: 92 17.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This may sound odd, but I lead a very busy (and often stressful) life, and I actually find washing my car a relaxing and rewarding pastime.

But hey, some people relax by watching re-runs of TG on Dave, so go figure... :D
....I don't lead a stressful life.. watching some Roumanian.. as it used to be written !! cleaning my car would stress me !! I cant understand anyone who is keen on their car having anyone else wash,wax it !!....unless of course u have money to throw away or don't really care how yer car looks.. ...but there u have it !! a massive number of folk 8/10 prefer to do it themselves !!!!......that's just my op !!! foxy52

Last edited:
I used to get the local Eastern Europeans do it but after doing it properly for myself I don't trust anybody else.

....I don't lead a stressful life.. watching some Roumanian.. as it used to be written !! cleaning my car would stress me !! I cant understand anyone who is keen on their car having anyone else wash,wax it !!....unless of course u have money to throw away or don't really care how yer car looks.. ...but there u have it !! a massive number of folk 8/10 prefer to do it themselves !!!!......that's just my op !!! foxy52

Well...I'm sure you know what you just said.;)

Sadly I suspect your stats are likely the other way round.

I'm the only person on my road whom I ever see outside washing my car. All my neighbours comment, in a nice way about it.

Their cars just appear clean as do many others as they'll get the guys in Tesco to clean it while they shop or sit in the car while a bunch of guys scrub it.

Washing cars yourself is old skool and proper :)

Sadly I suspect your stats are likely the other way round.

I'm the only person on my road whom I ever see outside washing my car. All my neighbours comment, in a nice way about it.

Their cars just appear clean as do many others as they'll get the guys in Tesco to clean it while they shop or sit in the car while a bunch of guys scrub it.

Washing cars yourself is old skool and proper :)

I get the same on my street, or you'll wash the paint off it. Strange how mines the only one thats got a mirror shine thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the same on my street, or you'll wash the paint off it. Strange how mines the only one thats got a mirror shine thou

Haha I've had that one a few times.

My Mrs always raises an eyebrow as she'll know I'm outside washing the car, may bring me out a cup of tea and goes, "Who are you talking to now". :D

I've ended up chatting to loads of neighbours whilst I'm outside cleaning cars and got to know plenty of nice local people. (not like the League of Gentlemen! haha).

One chap always complements the E Class and says what a nice looking machine it is and how well I've cared for it. Another one always stops if he drives by and tell me he still wants my CLS. It's all light hearted.

It's a shame that nowadays less people are outside on a Sunday afternoon washing their car in the sunshine.

I used to hand-wash only. Power wash first, then hand wash (warm water with a capful of Mer in the bucket), power rinse, then shammy dry. Polish/wax as required. I got lazy for a while and used the local "hand car wash" places but was very put off by the fact the car would rock to one side with the pressure of their jet wash, so called quits on that. Now I'm just waiting for the cars to get dirty enough for me to warrant hand washing them again!

IMG_1776_edit_small.jpg

Last edited:
I got lazy for a while and used the local "hand car wash" places but was very put off by the fact the car would rock to one side with the pressure of their jet wash, so called quits on that.

To be honest before I lived with my partner she used to take her old Focus to the local car wash. I also used to take an old Clio 172 that I bought for £800 to the same place.

I used to cringe at not only the pressure washer, an inch off the paintwork but also the traffic film remover they sprayed all over. Pretty harsh stuff. :crazy:

Then it'd be, wash the car from any angle, not top down but drag that dirt from the bottom of the car up and over the roof. Just cringeworthy and even more so some of the more costly cars in there. I'm sitting in an 800 quid hatch back and in comes a McLaren spending £5 getting it cleaned. :wallbash:

To be honest before I lived with my partner she used to take her old Focus to the local car wash. I also used to take an old Clio 172 that I bought for £800 to the same place.

I used to cringe at not only the pressure washer, an inch off the paintwork but also the traffic film remover they sprayed all over. Pretty harsh stuff. :crazy:

Then it'd be, wash the car from any angle, not top down but drag that dirt from the bottom of the car up and over the roof. Just cringeworthy and even more so some of the more costly cars in there. I'm sitting in an 800 quid hatch back and in comes a McLaren spending £5 getting it cleaned. :wallbash:

That sounds like getting a car washed in Caracas.
Having lived there for years and years building buses and running a "taller automotrix" that is what they used to do at most Limpieza de Carros places !
Seeing that there was a lucrative business in cleaning cars I opened a side shop with a bunch of Colombians doing the cleaning/valeting!
Their method to get a brilliant shine on the car was to use Brasso by the gallon.
I bet Venezuela was Reckitt and Coleman's best market for the Brasso line!
I used to cringe about the car's wrecked (Reckitt) clear coat but that was what the customer wanted .
Having gone down into Argentina and Chile from Bolivia one one occasion I can say that those Latino bods cleaned cars equally as you might expect from the best valet services in the UK!
I gave them and old Landrover Series 3 in Buenos Aires I scrounged from a Chilean friend once upon a time and they made that thing shine like new, while I caroused the Milonga bars improving my tango techniques!
Far better that washing a bloody car for sure !
Tuercas Viejas

Tango experiences in Buenos Aires - Lonely Planet

Alex 225
If you liked the post I related you about Argentina might like this --Totally off topic but understandable if you are a red bloodied male!
An international example of human study! That to which we can all relate to !

Gents enjoy
(music Carlos Gardel)
Caballeros disfruitalo Ya!
Amistades
Tuercas Viejas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rWYh8vhQE

I always wash my own vehicles,be it car or bike,the old fashioned way,non powerful hose and 2 buckets,a soapy one and rinsing oneWould never put a high pressure lance anywhere near,especially the wheels.Cant beat the outcome of time and elbow grease,and I work in a sand quarry where the airborne dust is a royal pain! :mad:

I have always washed my own cars as I care about the paintwork...car washers don`t. Have you ever looked at the carts the rammy looking Eastern Europeans at Sainsburys use to "clean" peoples cars....mind boggling why people use them :crazy:

Now I have a very glossy Tanzanite Blue 212 I've had to up the ante.

Handwashing it roughly once every two weeks now using AG shampoo and a Meguiars quick detailer afterwards.

Keeping the deep gloss going. But noticing all the imperfections too....

(it was much easier having silver cars.....)

Last edited:
IMG_20170506_103323841.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gave the Missus' new smoker a wash using the one bucket method.

Last edited by a moderator:
That brings back memories....loved my GPX :D

Brings back memories for me too. We bought one of the first to come into the country as a grey import. Fantastic car it was my wife's daily for about ten years.

I wash my own car too.

I've always washed my car from first ever owning one when I was 17: Snow foam, rinse, wash (2 bucket method), rinse, dry and coat of detailing wax to keep the level of wax topped up.

Wash the wheels using Bilberry wheel cleaner, using a different bucket than what I use for washing the paintwork.

Never used a sponge on any of my cars, as you might as well use a scouring pad as they just scratch the paint work.

I find it quite relaxing, but can take me around 2hrs to clean it properly and try to do it a minimum of once a week (weather permitting).

noone post on this for long time.. is everyone outside washing cars? lol
i like do it myself. i know i can do it batter tahn most local car wash. i i do like it, even when it looks like it is going to rain later. then look through window amazed how rain easily get off freshly cleaned car

When I used to live at home, yes, I'd love spending ages polishing and waxing it myself. Since moving to London though, that's been a bit harder to do living in a flat... I now pay £10 or so for someone to hand wash it for me.

Generally go to a hand wash, though when I’m in the mood I sometimes get the buckets out.
Have to say, when I do, it is kind of rewarding after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom