How do I change rear shockers 300TD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trefor

Car
1992 190E
Just replaced rear spheres on my 1989 300TD 4 matic estate.
Went well thanks to excellent instructions from Andy K.
Noticed the donor vehicle also had new rear shocks/pistons or whatever they actually do. Got to be done hasn't it with 312,000 K on the clock.
Can anyone point me to a suitable link to make this job as trouble free as possible.

Trefor

you should have done it whilst the suspension system was drained - it's a lot easier

but there is a "quick" way which doesn't involve depressurising the system, so here goes

1, remove the rear wheel arch trims (which involves removing the seat belt mounts and a few other bits

2, loosen the top bolt from the strut - that's the "clean" bits done the rest is under the car

3, with the car jacked up and all weight off the back wheels remove the wheels and the plastic guards from the suspension arms.

4, the base of the struts are held in with two bolts, loosen them but don't remove them

5, clamp the flexi hose that transfers the hydraulic fluid to the struts and loosen it half a turn - it may well be a tough one to turn as they can corrode in

6, remove the retaining bolts and pull the strut out - they come out a lot easier than they go back in but may still need a tap from the hammer :)

7, unwind the strut from the flexi hose and remove the copper compression washer (if you bought new ones for the spheres you should have a few spares as Merc package them in 20s

8, make sure you really clean any rust etc off the lower bracket and give it a coat of grease

to reassemble

1, compress the new strut about halfway and with a new copper washer fitted wind it onto the flexi hose union

2, now remove the hose clamp and try to wrestle the strut into place, it will either drop in really easily (if you get the length of the strut exactly right) or it won't quite fit, it's a bit trial and error but you need to at least part tighten the top bolt which is inside the car first

3, with the top of the strut secure and the hose in the correct place you can get the bottom bolts back in place and finish putting everything back together

4, reset the suspension system like you did when you changed the spheres.

Obviously this method is not the recommended procedure so the usual disclaimers apply - if it goes wrong it's not my fault :)

My advice on this job is only do it if the struts on your car are leaking, they either work or they don't - there is no halfway with them.

HTH

Andy

Luckily I havn't re filled the system yet as I was waiting for the hydraulic fluid to arrive at the local garage (not merc') Hopefully then it will be a lot easier.
Thanks once again Andy you're a star.
Trefor

make sure the fluid is the genuine BenzHydraulic ZHM fluid and not the Citroen spec LHM - basically if it's bright green then it's wrong :)

Andy

Its the genuine article, cost 27.50 euros for 2 litres so hope theres no leaks.
Thanks for the help/

Arriba finally finished

Whew !!!
Finally finished replacing all rear suspension parts 300 TD estate.
All parts reclaimed from scrap vehicle with new rear suspension.
Not havind access to Merc dealer meant I had to re cycle all parts where useable. Luckily between my 1989 300TD LHD and the donor 1087 :rolleyes: 300TE RHD I had everything I needed. I reckon it took me a little over 8 hours in total to replace the spheres struts self levelling unit and associated pipes.
Couldn't have done it without Andy K's instructions. He's a star.
The hydraulic pipes to the spheres and the self leveller must qualify as the worst, most fiiddly job in the world. I ran out of expletives and had to make up a few new ones.
Got to take some folks to Almeria airport tomorrow so touch wood they wont be bouncing around in the back like the last lot were.
Don't know what Merc would charge for doing it but I guess tnere wouldn't be much change out of 500 quid plus parts.
Thanks to all who helped.

Trefor (Aguilas Spain) www. flordevida.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom