On average how long do you keep your car for?

On average how long do you keep your car for?

• <6 months

Votes: 15 2.7%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 45 8.2%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 99 18.1%
  • 2-4 years

Votes: 196 35.9%
  • >5 years

Votes: 132 24.2%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 59 10.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to drive a lot more on business than I do now so was having to change my car every 18 months or less.

When I bought my last car (the 335D) I thought I would keep it for 2 years and then change. I liked it so much I ended up keeping it for 4 years and 80,000 miles.

Somehow I can't see me keeping the current car for that long. Indeed I shudder to think the state it will be in after 4 years and 80,000 miles.

What will you replace it with, another Mercedes or a real car like a BMW?

What will you replace it with, another Mercedes or a real car like a BMW?

My BMW has been here just under 12 mths... just like Gizzie did, I am probably getting shot in the next few weeks... flywheel / clutch number 2 are on the way out.. they won't do it as warranty @ 33k so am not going to push a bad position. Numerous mechanically similar 3ers seem to suffer the same..

Infiniti for me next I suspect having borrowed an M over the weekend.

Automatic BMWs don;t judder and have nasty dual mass fly wheels, which are trouble in all marques.

I'll be curious re in the Infinit, do you have more thoughts, and even do a thread about it, interesting car?

Automatic BMWs don;t judder and have nasty dual mass fly wheels, which are trouble in all marques.

I'll be curious re in the Infinit, do you have more thoughts, and even do a thread about it, interesting car?

Agree is DMF's they are nearly as PITA as DPF's! Bloody TLA's

Was toying with thread on the Infinity... had the M35h this weekend.. borrowing the M30d next weekend.. then will post up.... is interesting to note that D-Benz and Nissan-Infiniti-Renault are tech sharing the hybrid stuff as well as the Diseasel engines.. next year Inf G replacement uses the 250CDI lump....

Agree is DMF's they are nearly as PITA as DPF's! Bloody TLA's

Was toying with thread on the Infinity... had the M35h this weekend.. borrowing the M30d next weekend.. then will post up.... is interesting to note that D-Benz and Nissan-Infiniti-Renault are tech sharing the hybrid stuff as well as the Diseasel engines.. next year Inf G replacement uses the 250CDI lump....

Best get one before that....LOL:ban:

They use a 7 speed auto box, is that my favoured 722.9 box that I think is better than life itself. I think 7g is amazing and its the single best thing about my car....:crazy: There are not many 7 speed units about, I wonder if its the same. The V6 diesel is their own, I know that.

can DMFs not be replaced with a single mass fly wheel, its a relatively new affliction. DPFs can be whipped out, and automatic cars have no DMF.

Nice range of cars, and food for thought, RWD, supposedly nice to drive, well equipped, seem more fun than a lexus, a lot to potentially really like.

It is not a Merc 7G - that is apparent on driving it.

They want the Diesels.. for europe.. their petrol / gearbox / hybrid kit is PDG all ready... sadly it is also not the dual clutch GTR box either.. though the Inf 3.7 is the base lump for the GTR bi turbo 3.8...

To go back to topic... i get bored or fall out with cars... longest i every kept one was an E30 BMW track day car for 5.5yrs.. E36 M3 Cab lasted about 4 months.. just didn't get on with it.. on avg is 6-12months...

When at Rover I had a new management car every 9 months and one for the wife, one for my dad.

I buy my E Classes at 2 to 3 years old and keep them for about 3 years.

About 18 months left before *** buys it from me, so he can tour in a spacious, practical, quick, reliable E Class, with more toys than a prostitute's dildo drawer.

About 18 months left before *** buys it from me, so he can tour in a spacious, practical, quick, reliable E Class, with more toys than a prostitute's dildo drawer.

Hmmm....

If there is no rust on it and I mean no rust, and no nasty gearbox jolts or any 7g bad behaviour (and I can find 7g bad heaviour real easy) I just might, the saloon is annoying to pack up for holidays and I would forgo a tent and sleep in the back.

As much as I love BMWs and all things BMW, the 211, when not breaking down, is a really good car. Its why I still have mine.

w202 c230k 11y7m 154k miles added
s124 e300d 7y2m 53k miles added
average 9y4.5m
only 2 cars!

24 cars in 48 years so so the average, or mean, or median (I can't remember the difference as taught at school) is 2 years. But individually they've ranged from a VW for a few weeks to a CLK230 for 11 years.

Around 2 years on average. Only had my C200 W202 for 2 weeks so cant really tell how long i will own it for.

If a premium marque then who knows (haven't had a Jag yet) but I may just get fed up and get a Skoda Yeti instead.

After a 335d and a C350cdi. You'll ****ing hate it unless you have less than a passing interest in driving....

Jag sounds good, could you make so with a larger car thats not a saloon, or would you wait for a sport brake XF?

On average 3.5 years but our ML is close to 8 years and C is on it's way to 7 years. First three cars were two years though.

Up until my two W124 its been around 3 or so years. however i plan on keeping the W124s for a long time yet...

Usually around 3-4 years, might keep the current w204 for a bit longer tho.

After a 335d and a C350cdi. You'll ****ing hate it unless you have less than a passing interest in driving....

Jag sounds good, could you make so with a larger car thats not a saloon, or would you wait for a sport brake XF?
. . On paper/screen, that does promise to be a damned decent motor. Not a load carrier by all accounts, but a bit extra space than a boot! Although really happy with the C, I'm still not sure if I should've waited for the XF Sport Break :confused:

Oh, keeping on topic, I don't think I've kept a car for more than a couple of years. Longest being a 55 plate X type, ran it into the ground, but every morning it wanted to play again :rock:

I was looking at that on their website only yesterday (my car btw is still with the dealer).

It would have to be the Diesel S which sees a starting price of around £45k but there were a few things that made me look twice including 20" alloys as standard :eek:

Would probably have to drive one although I have a couple of colleagues who have the saloon and rave about it.

Probably going to be another year before I think about changing though and to be fair, if the dealer can nail the rattles, I do like my C Class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom