• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Opinions and real world experience of running/maintaining a CLK55 please.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
I'm looking to change my other car. I've been looking at E46 M3 and the equivalent Alpina B3S. I've also been considering the CLK55 for some V8 goodness.

I'm targetting W209, 2004- cars. What have been your experiences ?
Are there any weak points on these cars ?
Any that I should avoid ?
Running costs ? I know it has a biggish V8, so petrol will be low 20s to mid 20s on the mway? Servicing expensive ? I believe there are 16 spark plugs !
Are they susceptible to rust ? Worth getting the wheel liners and bumpers removed so they can be treated with waxoyle / ACF50 ?
I'd prefer the 6.3, but they're significantly more expensive to buy and I'd resent paying £500 pa road tax.

Is the convertible roof reliable?

What are they to drive ? Any one driven the Alpina/M3 can give their opinion?

Thanks!

Not a clk but I have a cl55, expect 18mpg average, the obd lies when it says you are doing over 20mpg!

I think 209 55s are pretty rare to be honest which it probably why you haven't had any replies!

Didn't realise they were that thin on the ground. I've never seen a CL55 - that is coupe S class 2 door with a 5.5 kompressor ? The OBC on my W204 is very optimistic too, by about 10% ...

Pretty much yea, there are supercharged and na ones, mine is na (the same as the clk engine)...

There are currently 213 taxed facelift clk55s in the country How Many Left?

236 cl55's which makes the clk rarer!

So engine and drive train wise they're very close. How are you getting on with yours ? m2287?

Go for a facelift if you can - the early W209 wasn't great.

Engine is bombproof and makes them a strong and powerful car.

Are you specifically looking at cabriolets or coupés? The coupé will be quicker, safer, handle better and be more reliable.

Engine wise in over 40k and 4 years all I've had go wrong is a crank position sensor. The engines are easy to DIY service, I've done all my oil changes and I'm going to do the spark plugs next year.

I think the main problems with the 209 are the SAM and electrical units going wrong randomly.

Engine wise in over 40k and 4 years all I've had go wrong is a crank position sensor. The engines are easy to DIY service, I've done all my oil changes and I'm going to do the spark plugs next year.

I think the main problems with the 209 are the SAM and electrical units going wrong randomly.

How do I identify a facelift W209 ? From the US sites, it appears 05 MY are facelift, but that does apply to UK/Euro models. Whats the difference between pre and post?

I'd like a convertible - most cars handle better as a tin top.

Last edited:
Hi Will,
Which is ?

Post-facelift cars tend to be less problematic and better built.

There's a number of improvements - electronics/paintwork/suspension/mechanical and general fit and finish is better. Interior is much nicer too - switchgear etc.

Post 2004 ish cars should be galvanised as well IIRC (can't recall exact date - around this time)

That's why they cost more - they are better cars and are more popular/are worth more :thumb:

Thanks for that Will. Is it an avoid at all costs decision or a nicer to have a post-facelift ?

Theres a nice looking pre facelift in Bristol that I'd planned to see, but I'll take heed of your advice. At the moment going for a facelift will leave me with no contingency. I had planned to keep a sum of money to fix things that break, as I plan not to buy a warranty for it.

Also there are changes on the job front, so I may need to drive to work, which'll mean I'll probably get a diseasel instead of a thumping V8 :-( I do have a soft spot for CLS320/350 .... absolutely love the shape, look and feel, so not all bad.

Will is correct about the build quality/paintwork etc on the facelift - it is altogether a really well sorted car - as reliable as any Mercedes should be.

The convertible roof seems to be generally reliable -= I did have a glitch with mine over the winter where it didn't compete the final stage, but I found that the grease on two of the locating pins was hard and sticky so a good clean and fresh grease sorted that.

Personally I would go for the AMG sport - it is lowered and has several nice styling bits, but best of all multi-contour seats (SUPER comfortable) and flappy paddles to show of to your mates and then never use again.

PICT0426.JPG

209 convertible looks so much better than 207 convertible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom