Ordering a new car with Privacy Glass and getting tinted windows? What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tinted glass (film or not) is not the same as privacy glass.

Privacy glass is almost black from the outside and almost impossible to see in.
However, when you look out the tint is subtle. Rather like ambulance glass.

Look at their used car selection as there's bound to be a few and you'll see what I mean.

If you decide not to have it then as others have said, full refund of the £330 plus complimentary tint film.

If you want it then they may decide to order you a new car as it may be cheaper for them.

Tinted glass (film or not) is not the same as privacy glass.

Privacy glass is almost black from the outside and almost impossible to see in.
However, when you look out the tint is subtle. Rather like ambulance glass.

Look at their used car selection as there's bound to be a few and you'll see what I mean.

If you decide not to have it then as others have said, full refund of the £330 plus complimentary tint film.

If you want it then they may decide to order you a new car as it may be cheaper for them.
Thats interesting as we ordered privacy glass on wife's car but it's not almost black may be its Diffrent on ford :confused:

If you ordered and therefore paid for the option, then you should either get that option, your money back or something of an equivalent value. Push the dealer.

On the flip side, with my E300 I ordered a few bits & bobs including the full tyre pressure monitoring. It was a £330 option and when the supplying dealer called me to pay for the options prior to delivery (lease car), there was no mention of this option. Rather than flag it up there and then, I took delivery of the car and happily found it did have the option after all. A nice little freebie. Doesn't help you however. :(

lol Doesn't help Ghibbert but good to know the Karma gods are keeping things in check!

I cant see a factory option for actual glass not film tint costing only £330, the rear windows double that alone for standard toughened glass.

If you missed a zero off (£3,300) It would make more sense.

Personally I think its a non factory order and sourced locally with the usual MB fee added onto the cost price.

If not its a bargain option :)

Last edited:
Its a factory fit option and the option cost is only the difference between the two types of glass, so £300ish seems about right.

Definitely a factory options of Privacy Glass E270 Owner

You're not paying for Tinted Toughened glass over NO Glass.. lol.

Last edited:
Thats interesting as we ordered privacy glass on wife's car but it's not almost black may be its Diffrent on ford :confused:

It is almost impossible to see in through the factory fitted privacy glass on the back and rear windows of my car but it's hardly noticeable when looking out.:thumb:

Its a factory fit option and the option cost is only the difference between the two types of glass, so £300ish seems about right.

Definitely a factory options of Privacy Glass E270 Owner

You're not paying for Tinted Toughened glass over NO Glass.. lol.

Then the dealers pulling a fast one over the customer.

Then the dealers pulling a fast one over the customer.

The dealer is trying to resolve the mistake as cheaply as possible. Some customers might be happy with film. I wouldn't if I'd paid to have Privacy glass.

Only correct resolution is to retrofit the privacy glass. I'm sure MB would get Autoglass to do it.

SarahAnn200 said:
If I'd paid for factory privacy, I wouldn't settle for film

+1 push them to refit proper privacy glass (it will be expensive) or threaten (as politely as possible) to reject the car. With the film you will always get that silver halo type ring around the edge of the rear screen. As others have also said its also more prone to becoming scratched.

Whilst we have film tints on our W203 I much prefer the factory privacy glass on my BMW.

Take it back and get factory glass, its a big job as each door will need taking apart and new membranes fitted, plus the screens front and rear are bonded, it will cost a fortune.
Reject the car and get one right, forget the film tinting, it always has that line of bubbles around the glass mask and looks bad.

Privacy glass is only fitted to the rear of the car...and since it's a coupe only three pieces of glass are needed.

** UPDATE**

MB are being pretty good about the whole situation. Very apologetic and understanding. They are working to a resolve at the moment.

Current state of play is they are ordering a new privacy specced rear screen in from Germany to be fitted next week. They admit that it won't be perfect around the rear screen with just tints.

HOWEVER, they want to leave the two side windows as they feel they are up to standard. I've explained I don't want a rear screen that is one way and sides that are another.

They assure me there should be no difference visually but I'm not so sure.

Stand your ground. Film is never the same as proper privacy glass.
You have to have what you paid for. Nothing less.

I think it is most unlikely to be an error at the factory : car builds are computerised and once the order is input , there is no place for human error .

Much more likely is that someone at the dealership failed to order the option as per your oder to them .

You should either get what you paid for , or have the money refunded . While , legally , you could have rejected the car as not being what you ordered and paid for , in practice the dealer will make this very difficult for you . If they have agreed to retrofit the correct glass , this ought to be a satisfactory resolution .

As mentioned earlier , if they are replacing the door glass , make sure that the waterproof membranes behind the door trims are replaced as per factory spec .

My thoughts exactly. I love the car and wouldn't want to 'reject' it.

As long as they retrofit the glass I'm more than happy with it but I want it to be all windows not just the rear. Otherwise I have 3 different types of glass on the car.

We'll see what they come back with. I assume the rear quarter windows are a lot harder to replace?

Privacy glass is a consistent colour. Scratch the glass with a diamond ring or such like and all you have is a scratch.

Film is just film. Scratch it and it's ruined. Plus, it scratches easily. If it doesn't scratch, it's easy to pull or wrinkle at the corners.

Come time to sell the car, privacy glass is a benefit. Tinted film makes the car look like it was owned by a pimp.

Only one option and the law is on your side. Don't flinch.

Easy to find out if it was factory order just get the data card up, pm me your vin number.

If this is not sorted out and you ever need glass and claim on your insurance, they will only fit what is on that build data.

Last edited:
"I think it is most unlikely to be an error at the factory : car builds are computerised and once the order is input , there is no place for human error .

Much more likely is that someone at the dealership failed to order the option as per your oder to them ."

This is a good point, and the order form is usually signed and deposited by the consumer before that order leaves for the factory.....OP needs to check it is included in the original factory confirmation just in case the dealer says "tough".

Sounds like dealer is being ok so far so fingers crossed.

Personally I wasnt a lover of the privacy glass so chose the rear blind option.........giving me the ....err option :)

ATB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom