** Pic's Of My S600 V12 Twin Turbo W221 Facelift AMG Pack, 21" plus "

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I say go for the map 😂 let’s be honest a v12 you can’t expect good fuel economy so what’s another couple mpg, being a twin turbo it should react very well to a map

I still have a couple of more things I'd like to do to the car and I know this might sound silly but I keep thinking I wish it was a different colour inside and outside. I love how the car looks now and it has so much road presence but I think it would have looked better if it was a designo model, like a purple colour or almandine black ( it's not black ) with white or champagne interior. I don't understand how sooo many people would buy a £100k+ car and don't go for an unusual colour.
Once it's all finished I will then decide if I will get it remapped as there would be no point spending £1k for a remap and then sell the car

Now 122.9 :D:thumb:

I wish I was taking advantage of the fuel prices being low but due to the virus i thought we wouldn't be able to use our cars for a few months and sorned them. The weather has been so good lately, every day on my way to work I keep wishing I was driving the S class!

Last edited:
What a beautiful motor :cool:

Don't get too hung up on the colour, the overall looks of the car overtake the colour of it (exhaust note must be nice too ;))

Hello everyone,

I haven't updated this thread for a while.

I decided to sell most of the cars as the storage space had become an issue. I tried to find a place to store them but it seemed impossible to find something for a reasonable price and big enough to store all of them.

I still have the S600

I thought I'd post some pics of the car but also mention what I've done to it lately.

Unfortunately I haven't driven the car as much as I would have liked to but I don't think I'm the only one that has felt this way. It's not as if we can do much this days or travel. Hopefully things will improve.

One of the things that was bugging me was that both passengers rear doors, the chrome strip at the bottom of the doors wasn't as shiny as the rest of them. It was just the back doors that still had the original ones as the others ones I changed. I ordered 2 new ones from Mercedes.

Recently I noticed that the drivers side rear shock absorber had started to leak.

I went online and found a reconditioned shock for an S600 and it was for sale at a great price!

Little did I know that the 2006 model has different shock absorbers to the 2007 model onwards :(

I returned the shock and thought I would be able to find one for my car just as easy.

How wrong was I!

It's near impossible to find the same shock absorber that my car has unless you go to the dealer.

Mercedes wanted £1500 just for one supplied only!

After speaking with a friend of mine that he has a friend abroad that deals with mercedes only, he was able to find me a rear shock absorber from an s class that had been written off and had only done 40k+ miles. £500 later, i had a shock absorber for the car and it did look like new. Normally I wouldn't have bought a second hand one but my friend assured me that this was in as new condition so I went for it and it did turn out to be a good one.

As I was checking the car, I noticed the rear subframe bushes were gone in the car, the ones that are closer to the rear doors. This explained why the car didn't feel so great when going over speed bumps or pot holes. It's as if the rear end moved from left to right. Even on the motorway if going over an uneven part of the motorway, the back end felt loose. The bushes that were further back [ the bigger ones ] were still in as new condition, not perished or cracked. I think the ones that are closer to the back doors are a weak point as this cars get older.

I ordered 4 genuine bushes from Mercedes.

I read online and saw that there is a special tool from usa to remove the subframe bushes and that was around $400 or so. ( there are probably tools here in uk for the s class bushes but I didn't see any ) I didn't want to spend that kind of money for a tool I only needed once.

I thought I could make a tool myself :)

Don't laugh when you see what I made but I will post some pics of my work of art LOL 😂 and you'll see what an amazing tool I made for the bushes 😆

Changing the rear shock absorber was very easy but the subframe bushes were a bit of a headache. If I was to do them again, I think it would take no more than 3 hours to change the bushes.

The car drives much better now.

Here are some pics of the car taken at random places

The bushes arrived plus the chrome strips

It might not seem that bad but they were not that good and needed changing

New one

I noticed the passenger side coil pack, the last coil was a bit loose but the 3 wires were still attached. I thought it's better to repair it before any of them broke

Now some pic's of the special tools 😁.... How much did the tool cost to make? £6. What did I use to make the tools?
Some old brake pads..... a pice of spring from a broken spring and a long threaded rod that went through the middle of the tool so I could pull the bushes out. As you'll see in the pic's, the brake pads also had lines welded to make them stronger, otherwise they would bend under pressure. The reason why a piece of spring was welded to the side was so it would not let the brake pads push outwards when it was under pressure but it didn't take any of the space when the bushes would come out.
A hole was drilled in the middle of the brake pad to put the threaded long bolt and a nut with washer and a plate was put at the top to pull them out.

Last edited:

I had to make two of them as I couldn't use the same tool for all 4 bushes. You can see in the above pic a box with a bush removal tools but non of them work

Last edited:
Car looks superb. Love the wheels.

Nice work. I purchased the same car from one of my customers, as I have never seen a car with every option box ticked, yet to find something that is not on it. Love the effortless speed.

Excellent! I love the home made tool, as long as it does the job, who cares? Be silly to fork out $400 unless you are in the trade and do them regularly. Car is looking great.

Nice work mate, absolutely love this car 👌🏾

Thank you!

Car looks superb. Love the wheels.

Thank you!
I did try the other AMG 21's from the R63AMG but I don't think they make the car stand out as much as this wheels do. This are my fav wheels :)
I need to decide what I want to do with the other wheels now

Great write up, and what a lovely motor! :) 👍

Thank you!

Nice work. I purchased the same car from one of my customers, as I have never seen a car with every option box ticked, yet to find something that is not on it. Love the effortless speed.

Thank you!
They have more things then you actually need in a car :) I just love this model s class. So much car for a great price and lime you say, the speed is so effortless!
I'm still thinking if I should get it remapped or not? I've read they respond so well to a remap

Excellent! I love the home made tool, as long as it does the job, who cares? Be silly to fork out $400 unless you are in the trade and do them regularly. Car is looking great.

Thank you!
I had to modify them slightly as I was doing the job ( strengthening them ) but at the same time I thought it was quite cool to make a tool from parts that were meant to be thrown away. The only thing I paid for was the long threaded rod.
I won't be using them again I don't think, unless my friend decides to change the subframe bushes on his w211.

I would love to get the facelift headlamps as well to finish off the exterior but I'm in two minds if I will keep this car longer or maybe sell it for something else?

Fantastic thread. Thank you for the write up and returning to it to keep us updated.
Also loving the subframe bush tools! A good bit of money saved vs. chucking it into Merc to work on. Plus more satisfying.

I am a fan of the older Mercs as I'm one of those people that literally no matter how much money I had (dreaming here of course) I'm sure I couldn't bring myself to buy a brand new car and take the depreciation hit.
As a consequence, I have found (and I've read a lot on the Merc forums) that as some of the Mercs age, the rear bushes really can let the car down. You don't necessarily notice it straight away because it's gradual, but I really notice it when driving familiar roads and in the wet vs. the dry you can tell the car is getting far to skittish on the back end when getting the power down on a corner that doesn't have very smooth tarmac. As in, starting to get too unpredictable. When I've had a rear job lot of bushes replaced on a 14 year old Merc, the transformation was very worthwhile and wet corner power unpredictability has been removed.

I'm glad you've kept the S600. If it's the one you use the most, I think it's the right one to keep. The body kit is tasteful and I think a worthwhile addition.
Just pure class!

Great post and love the car.

Thank you!

Fantastic thread. Thank you for the write up and returning to it to keep us updated.
Also loving the subframe bush tools! A good bit of money saved vs. chucking it into Merc to work on. Plus more satisfying.

I am a fan of the older Mercs as I'm one of those people that literally no matter how much money I had (dreaming here of course) I'm sure I couldn't bring myself to buy a brand new car and take the depreciation hit.
As a consequence, I have found (and I've read a lot on the Merc forums) that as some of the Mercs age, the rear bushes really can let the car down. You don't necessarily notice it straight away because it's gradual, but I really notice it when driving familiar roads and in the wet vs. the dry you can tell the car is getting far to skittish on the back end when getting the power down on a corner that doesn't have very smooth tarmac. As in, starting to get too unpredictable. When I've had a rear job lot of bushes replaced on a 14 year old Merc, the transformation was very worthwhile and wet corner power unpredictability has been removed.

I'm glad you've kept the S600. If it's the one you use the most, I think it's the right one to keep. The body kit is tasteful and I think a worthwhile addition.
Just pure class!

Thank you very much sir!
Appreciate your kind comment!

For me it's a hobby and I think I will always love cars and keep spending money on them but it's also like you said, why give it to Mercedes when I can give it a go myself.
I enjoy working on my cars, it's like therapy :)

Oh, I just can't imagine how it must feel to go and buy something so expensive and in a few years, it's worth 20% of what the person paid! I wouldn't be able to sleep for a long time :D

You've explained it much better than me how this cars drive when the subframe bushes go. My car felt exactly like that.
I will do 50 miles or so and then I'll do a wheel alignment front and rear. The rear must be out now after dropping the subframe

Thanks again and I'm glad many forum members have enjoyed the thread :)

I will keep updating as I do more things to the car

You just simply cannot cannot beat a smart sclass.

You just simply cannot cannot beat a smart sclass.

Thank you!

Hopefully things will improve and i would like to do a Europe trip again in this year...... Who doesn't love the Autobhan :D

Hi Sam, I've read your whole thread through and whilst the large large(!) alloys aren't to my tastes (it's a bit too California for me), I love the approach and care and enjoyment that you have for this and your fleet.

Acid at MSL would love to get his hands on it :thumb: :)

I think i need to give him a call and see what he says :)

Hi Sam, I've read your whole thread through and whilst the large large(!) alloys aren't to my tastes (it's a bit too California for me), I love the approach and care and enjoyment that you have for this and your fleet.

Thank you Michael! :)

I think i need to give him a call and see what he says :)
Can't wait :thumb: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom