Please what is this and whats it for/do etc....or as I suspect not doing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the oil cooler needs doing....that £1000 bill there, which if the cars right I'll pay.....but dont wanna pay that and then have it fail MOT.....pluss I just spent and fitted a recon Turbo.....
The cars just so nice......has 4 new tyres, all new disc and pads all around.....have reciepts for new suspension (its never had air so just standard shocks etc) all new glow plugs....there's a bunch of reciepts etc I could go on....its an 57 plate with 130k which for an OM462 motor should be nothing......inside is nothing short of new...no signs of wear apart from the drives windows switchs (common) they work fine but are a little wibbly wobbly......and as I say be hard pushed for anyone to say its doesn't drive like new.....coz it does!

OK, but I still think it's worth getting an MOT-style emission check. Should only be 30 quid or so...

Also, are you SURE the oil leak is the Oil cooler? They are not quite as common as the forums would have you believe.

Hopefully, your indy will find a leak in something you disturbed when fitting the turbo, if you didn't touch the Oil cooler, the leak is much more likely to be somewhere else....pretty well all the leaks on the top of tjhe engine will run out in the same place...

You can't scrap this.....just look at it! :(

20191107_173110.jpg 45642562.jpg 534352545325.jpg

Attachments

• 452624562.jpg
    452624562.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
No heated seats, only joking it looks the doggies danlies.
Having a reclining seat in there so you can read it good night stories is perhaps a little ott though.

No heated seats, only joking it looks the doggies danlies.
Having a reclining seat in there so you can read it good night stories is perhaps a little ott though.
Err if you look in the Pics you can see the heated seat switchs on the centre console either side of cup holders!
Chair is my OLD computer chair...there is a work bench down that side of the garage....with a PC....duel Monitors (one for my CCTV) I got sick of running back and forth looking up stuff on cars I was working on....LOL this way its all there...there is not much my garage is not equiped with to be fair. I did sell the engine crane and engine stand...as only used the crane once and the stand twice rebuilding VW/porsche engines....summat I will never do again due to age and health.....:) In fact my Borescope got used a lot putting the turbo back on as you cant see f all.....:)

Apologies, I was looking for the switches in the same place as the 'R'.
Your ML seems to have it all, heated seats are a must for us. Because I jump in with a wet bum from sailing the seats need be leather, and so heated 'cos this is Buxton.

I replaced the Inlet Port motor on a C320, as you say not good for the back, and for some reason the flippin' hard to get to hold down bolts for the turbo tower are as tight as Phil down't pub.
I sold that at 180k miles, and it had much more to give. It drove lovely and quiet, hence my desire for the V6 Viano.
Now I favour the less complex and reputationally less time demanding 646, and I have a strong disrespect for the DPF.

A bit late now, not that you needed this
V6 CDI Inlet Port Shut Off Motor Replacement | Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Its so wierd.....it only does it after 30mins of Idle from engine hot (by hot I mean 80-90 on the temp gauge) so if driven...then parked for 30mins or if from cold it obviously takes a lot longer as you have to wait for the car to get up to temp...may also be another clue as to cause?
Aslo as I already said, if you then drive it, it will clear quite quickly but if you just rev it it actualy get worse? Maybe another clue?
Also if you get it to do it and do not drive it to clear it...it leaves it in "limbo" for the next time.....this can be DAYS later....i.e.
You wait until it does it and turn off...go back days later and it will smoke from cold...until driven to clear....then its back to square one....maybe another clue????

I.e. once cleared....it does not smoke from start....like oil pooling in the intercooler.....but dont get why reving does not clear it but driving it does...its so freken wierd....

It goes in a week tomorrow....but that just another week of me pondering on it until I know what it is......

:mad::wallbash:

Well, big day for me tomorrow and even bigger one from the ML.....please folks....if religious or not.....just pray its servicable.....
Out of interest...anyone had an om642 rebiult....be interested in cost....if worse case....
Just think its gotta be better then an unknown 2nd user one that could be just as bad......ok think possative its going to be fine......:)

There was an extensive rebuild thread, might have been on t'other side.
Not sure if costings were included, but the many photo's of progress were interesting.

OMG all the reviews were right!! They've put me in a Smart For 2 thing....its actualy not that bad to drive but......I think I have WHIP-LASH!
Its like, minuits between gear changes....LOL :) Hay, its free.....so not realy complaining......as every review said so...but its 1st time I have drove one and beats the wifes old Sh1troen C4 Grand Picasso hands down and that was terrible in full auto :).
The Engine Note is amazing.....reminds me of my Air Cooled Porsche 911s (before I put a Fabspeed exhaust on) quiet but sounds 6 not 3 pot LOL

Just hope when the phone goes.......its good news......it took 3hrs to get there due to traffic and I left at 7am....should not have been more than an hr!

Oh and it did "do it" once stuck in the traffic........Grrr furthest I've been in it since I got it....and for a short time got up to Motoway speeds and its drives MINT....:(

Fingers and Toes X'd

OK Sorta good news.....they are happy the engine is fine but....and its a big but....untill the Oil cooler is done (and when they do that job they dont mess about)
Brand New Inlet Manifolds and Brand new Swirl Motor.
EGR system cleaned and every nut bolt and gasket changed for BRAND NEW.....
The guy I spoke think as he's had this before.....that may even cure it.....but until things are "back as they should be" can't realy pin point because from their point of view (which I understand) there will alway be it could be that....
So its still going in on the 17th for all above £1000 near as dam it......
They did like my Catch can....said they reccomend on these engines......so thats good to know.....and the Turbo was BONE DRY he said (its brand new so glad it is) but mainly down to the Catch Can Mod.

So guess watch this space!!!!

Quick question....I know the Swirl Flap motor failing gives LIMP mode (i.e. lack of power) does it throw the engine light on or does it take ages to?
Only ask because its remapped and the new MB INDI garage (2nd to look at) thats doing the above say, if its been coded out by the other garage its part of the map (i.e. there is defo no option in star just to turn off the swirl motor) so I'll loose the remap because they want to re-instate it (and so do I if I'm paying £1k for it all!!).
However.....they are happy for the car to be mapped (they even do them themselves) so, I took the restister off and drove the car around my estate and it was terrible.....just like they say it is....like the turbo is doing nothing....but there was no engine light on and my fully up to date MB ICARSOFT showed no errors? I put the risister back on....and va va voom back to full power?
So slightly confused (nowt new I know LOL).....they did say (the new garage) that if they can view and edit the current map and re-instate the swirl (if indeed its been coded out) they would just charge an adational £80 or its another £300 for them to use their remap...or I get it back standard....:(
For obvious reasons, I realy do not want to go back to the 1st garage.....as I payed £500 for the remap/service etc....after they told me there was nowt wrong with it smoking.......

Not happy!
Told it was ready and NOT smoking so ....new oil cooler....swirl flaps re-instated....and new turbo (recored) so effectivly 2 new (recon) turbos in less than 2 months....
Drives better....smoked right from the start but cleared......then was fine....no smoke....got home before the wife who called for some lunch on way back and as I did not have my house keys....sat on drive for 20 mins....it filled the street with smoke....so in my eyes exactly as it was...only now down £2k......
As a total and complete loss!

Update all 6 Injectors removed ready for test and recon....will let youz all know outcome...

4 of the 6 injectors realy BAD....so all 6 being done.....again will keep you posted....

OK good and bad.....running and the idle smoke issue am 90% sure is fixed!!!

As I said I had all 6 original injectors reconditioned (nossels and returns for those that know).....so no codes changed...I wrote down which came from which and they have gone back from wenst they came
:)

Now the Garage that did it when I mentioned codes....said it did not matter because...one they are the original injectors and (when I said "but they will be new in effect") said the tolerances are so fine....mainly for economy and mines mapped anyway...
also notice the dash says its gone up now by 10MPG yeh......
As I say its starts and runs fine….pulls well….and although I had a damaged return line o ring on injector 6 ( I must have damaged as all 6 new) which popped off on the 1st test run….spewing diesel everywhere (just managed to limp it home, my o ring kit had some thankfully) much, much less smoke as in hardly any….and let it idle for good 30 mins while I wash and vac and was fine.

But, on pulling away, or light acceleration it sounds well, like an old diesel? Accelerate hard and it sounds normal and pulls normal. Did not do this before, so defo linked to the injectors me thinks…I read there is a thing called injector knock? I know they should be coded and thus I should have maybe got new codes once recon’d but will it just be a case of the ECU trying to sort itself out coz it still thinks its got 2 fully knackered and 2 bit knackered injectors in still, even tho they are all now effectively new????

Ta Rossy

Its getting better the more its used.....but ordered a new glowplug module too and aditional earth strap for it.
It was struddlng a bit before the new injectors....and tho new glowplugs fitted starting it still the same....but now once running....much better....
yeh!!

OK pretty sure air is getting into the fuel system but no leak as the longer I leave it....harder to start....but...if I leave ignition on.....say after a few days I can hear the "gurgling" of the fuel pump getting rid of air. Also starts much better if I wait too.....so think defo pressure loss/air ingress.....
Oh and its got 6 new Bosch Duratek glowplugs, brand new latest GP Module and for peace of mind extra earth strap from the one that feeds module on top of engine to chassis!!

So for those that don't know....it has just had all 6 injectors but this issue was there before....so will still check and replace leak off o-rings to illiminate that some maybe damaged (came all new with injectors)

I did notice a very small leak on a very short fuel pipe ages ago....3" max in centre of engine which had the wrong fuel line clamps on...julilee which I nipped up....so this will be my 1st point to check.
I've bought new screw hose clamps that do not PINCH like Julilees do, they tighten more uniform...

My question is, are there any other know places for fuel lines to go...were air gets in but diesel does not get out???

Cheers

anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom