• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

I could never live with that ugly duck face front...no matter how good it was! They have seen the light and fixed that for the new one.....now it's and angry catfish!
View attachment 145661

Fair enough. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... however, there are many other EVs on the market, lots of different looks to choose from - if you're after one.

And very handsome price! 🙄🙂
That’s the trouble, blooming nice cars are blooming expensive. Thankfully depreciation is a great leveller for the hoi polloi like me …jt just takes time!

I forget his actual words now but Ed Bolian says something like his taste in cars is like a lottery winner 20 years ago, and there’s a lot to like in his way of thinking!

Neighbours of ours have just taken delivery of a Q8 Sportback e-tron.
Quite a good looking thing; prices from £72,000 😱

The Model Y starts much lower but can easily reach that figure with all options added.

Personally, I like the look of the EQC... it's a nice small SUV, always has been, even before the EV version (i.e. it's forefather the GLC).

That’s the trouble, blooming nice cars are blooming expensive. Thankfully depreciation is a great leveller for the hoi polloi like me …jt just takes time!

I forget his actual words now but Ed Bolian says something like his taste in cars is like a lottery winner 20 years ago, and there’s a lot to like in his way of thinking!
Ed used to say "the cheapest way to own exotic cars is to look like you won the lottery ten years ago."

But, as he's got older, it's stretched out to more like 20. Or maybe his taste just stayed where it was.

He stole the idea from me, obviously. He forgot to add that you need to own well maintained, low mileage, low owner vehicles, not just cheap ones. And it helps if you know what you're doing, having owned "a few."

Ed used to say "the cheapest way to own exotic cars is to look like you won the lottery ten years ago."

But, as he's got older, it's stretched out to more like 20. Or maybe his taste just stayed where it was.

He stole the idea from me, obviously. He forgot to add that you need to own well maintained, low mileage, low owner vehicles, not just cheap ones. And it helps if you know what you're doing, having owned "a few."
Sounds about right. I think his taste is noughties but the bubble in super car values over the last ten years or so also stretched his definition a little further than might have been originally intended.

Ed takes the opposite approach to you though, the rougher, the cheaper, the worst in any dimension possible is the car that appeals to him. I guess that’s his “brand” as well as his personal “thing”.

Most of my favourite cars - which I would actually intend to own - were available new from 2005 to 2015 with one or two exceptions. For me it was the peak period for cars as I like them.

They’re sometimes new enough to find low owner, well maintained examples, but old enough to have taken a nose dive in depreciation. With a little luck gentle appreciation might offset maintenance.

Imo that is the best looking EV on the market....a Taycan in a slightly cheaper but better tailored suit!
The Lucid Air is not ugly either....
Still an EV though...so that's a no from me.

I’d have a T3 any day Toe. I guess it all depends on if a warranty is offered and what it covers on a 3 year old car.
T3 batteries/drive units are warranted for 8 years/150k - to be fair they are extremely reliable. Charge speeds are also superb on a rapid charger.

The car comes with a 4 year/50k bumper to bumper warranty on everything on the car.

Didn't realise the Tesla Model 3 Performance was in my price range, albeit a used one, you can get a 2020 model with about 20,000 for about 30 grand. What I've read and watched it really is an impressive car, not least the performance, which is quite frankly ridiculous! Mmm food for thought. 🙂👍
If your budget stretches go for the ‘refresh’ model - these are easy to spot as they have the ‘dechrome’ with black door handles. They have the new heat pump rather than resistive heating which improves efficiency, they also have improved build quality. 👌

To be fair the build quality has come really far since the original cars, no creaks/rattles or any panel gap issues on the 70 Reg M3LR I drove for a couple weeks when mine was in for a few things to be sorted.

In fact they’re both absolutely delighted with them, so any build quality issues must be minor or more than adequately outshone by the positive attributes.
You’ll find that most of the people who hate them haven’t owned one or even driven one.

You’ll find that most of the people who hate them haven’t owned one or even driven one.
Apart from the EV owners who report that they have actually had more problems with the EV’s that they’ve just bought.

Pointing out the obvious quality issues on EV brands that cost a third more than their ICE equivalents has got nothing to do with their drivetrain and everything to do with the logistics of setting up new factories very quickly in areas that don’t have the staff, traditions or the supply chains to build high quality vehicles.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1140603_ev-have-more-quality-issues-than-ice-models-study-finds?fbclid=IwAR3sXkoKbG2epNoIpfsk8xW5imq7ZAzWdE2s8-eDAkbYVFyJwnqBEF4UIcA

Certainly true, but many people have inspected and test driven EV’s and come away laughing at the build quality, GUI, infotainment, and pricing,, without even considering the appalling delays that have riddled production lines.

Look at the mess than even the CEO of VW admits that he’s got himself into.

https://electrek.co/2023/07/14/vw-ceo-issues-final-wake-up-call-amid-drastic-spending-freeze/#:~:text=Volkswagen%20CEO%3A%20“This%20is%20the%20final%20wake%20up%20call”&text=VW's%20final%20wake%2Dup%20call,the%20first%20half%20of%202022.
Why Volkswagen sacked Herbert Diess - Fully Charged Show

The failure of MB to launch credible PHEV’s and EV’s

The collapse of Taycan residuals after that bravura launch.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-money-factor-equates-to-10-5-interest.13842/

Last edited:
Test driving an MG X Power this morning. Hopefully a descent test drive and not just round the block, not ideal weather, but should give me an idea, what an EV is like. 🙂👍
I have two friends waiting for them. They think they’re phenomenal.

What’s wrong with testing vehicles in normal weather?

I have two friends waiting for them. They think they’re phenomenal.

What’s wrong with testing vehicles in normal weather?
Good to hear, your friends like it. Just thought it would be a better test drive in the dry, especially if you want to exploit the power of the car, but then again I suppose, you'd want to know what's it's like in the wet aswell, we'll see. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom