Power car polishing / buffing / waxing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mamoor_dewan said:
Had the Porter Cable delivered this morning, makes it 5 working days! It's pi**ing down with rain here in east london so I may have to wait until this weekend in Manchester before I start tackling the swirls!
Is it Royal Mail that delivers ?

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a royal mail parcel force guy (although he was in an unmarked white van!) Will post before before and after pics once the sun resurfaces

Last edited:
'PS - Paul, What Polish and Pad Combinations did you use ?'

I used:

1) The Farecla Advanced G-Mop compounding foam together with the Farecla G3 compound. This is a good combination for 'cutting', but leaves a dull shine.

then:

2) The Farecla Advanced G-Mop polishing foam, together with the Farecla G10 compound. The G10 is much less abrasive than the G3, and puts the makings of a good shine back onto the paintwork.

then:

3) The Farecla Advanced G-Mop polishing foam (a different one) with Meguires stage 2 polish. This polish is less abrasive again than the G3, and puts a good shine onto the paintwork. The golden rule here is 'the longer you polish, the deeper the gloss'.

then:

4) Another G-Mop polishing foam, with Meguires stage 3 wax. I know that theoretically waxing isn't supposed to bring out any more 'shine' - but this stuff really seems to.

It works for me.......

Paul G

Just Ordered

Just ordered my Porter Cable :) through the E-Book !! These are a little expensive but i haven't read any bad reports at all !! The results are amazing and they will last a life time :p
I registered with the Autopia Forum and recieved a 10% discount code as a welcome :D

I've ordered a few extra pads and a couple Waffle Weave drying towels
Here's my order details and costs -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Porter Cable 7424 Ultimate Polisher 159.95
1 Concours Finishing Bonnet, Pkg/2 7.75
2 Dual-Action, 6.5" Grey Finishing Pad 10.95 x2
2 Dual-Action, 6.5" White Polishing Pad 9.95 x2
1 Dual-Action, 6.5" Orange Cutting Pad 11.95
2 Ultimate Drying Towel 14.95 x2
Subtotal 251.35
Coupon discount -25.14

Subtotal 226.21
Shipping 75.80
Tax 0.00
Total 302.01
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all in Dollars, So with a exchange rate of $1.80 which I should get via a credit card works out at £167.78 - bearing in mind the extra pads and drying towels i bought !
EDIT - Just chcked my Credit Card statement, i got $1.85 to £1 so £163 total bill :D

Last edited:
Aletank said:
Just ordered my Porter Cable :) through the E-Book !! These are a little expensive but i haven't read any bad reports at all !! The results are amazing and they will last a life time :p
I registered with the Autopia Forum and recieved a 10% discount code as a welcome :D

I've ordered a few extra pads and a couple Waffle Weave drying towels
Here's my order details and costs -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Porter Cable 7424 Ultimate Polisher 159.95
1 Concours Finishing Bonnet, Pkg/2 7.75
2 Dual-Action, 6.5" Grey Finishing Pad 10.95 x2
2 Dual-Action, 6.5" White Polishing Pad 9.95 x2
1 Dual-Action, 6.5" Orange Cutting Pad 11.95
2 Ultimate Drying Towel 14.95 x2
Subtotal 251.35
Coupon discount -25.14

Subtotal 226.21
Shipping 75.80
Tax 0.00
Total 302.01
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all in Dollars, So with a exchange rate of $1.80 which I should get via a credit card works out at £167.78 - bearing in mind the extra pads and drying towels i bought !

£167 is a bargain for that lot - I have some news on Porter Cable U.K. they may be importing some but the price is no where near this good. So watch this space!

I got my Porter Cable during the week and have used it on a Volvo V40, Golf, 500SEL and today my C250. It is good but I don't think too much of the pads, they don't seem to last. I have one pad that I have used with MER and that is OK, the pads that I use AutoGlym on seem to disintegrate and pull away from the velcro pad. The pad that comes with the machine ie the non velcro one seems to be much better than the velcro ones. I also find the velcro pads dont stick very well and ruckle up and vibrate very badly.

Where can the Farecla pads be bought? I have tried several local bodyshop supplies and only one does them and wants £12 per pad!!

Any ideas where to get pads? I might try the Sonus pads from the autopia site.

jimmy said:
Any ideas where to get pads? I might try the Sonus pads from the autopia site.
Been looking out for pads myself, for future use - Have a look at these CLICK ME
The "Professional" range lower down the page are 150mm(6inch) so might be suitable for the 5inch backing plate. Not sure if the're "Hook n Loop"(Velcro) though - Maybe a E-mail to find out before ordering.

Last edited:
The way these pads is performing does not sound good. I would send an email to Autopia to explain what is going on. I have had no problems with mine. Perhaps it is a bad batch. But the velcro should not pull away.

It may be worth sending a digital photo.

Goldfish11 said:
The way these pads is performing does not sound good. I would send an email to Autopia to explain what is going on. I have had no problems with mine. Perhaps it is a bad batch. But the velcro should not pull away.

It may be worth sending a digital photo.

I have been using it again today, the white pads are terrible, only last about half a car before they start disintegrating. The orange pads are better and the black/grey pads seem to be the best. Thje foam starts to pull away from the edge of the velcro and the velcro is not very sticky on the white pads.

I wonder if it is something to do with Autoglym, the pads I have used with Mer or Meguiars seem to last much better.

I shall send them an email and see what they say.

Don't Autoglym use petrolium distillates in their carrying media? If so these are probably attacking any adhesive on the pads.

Possible source of pads - Screwfix

Dieselman said:
Don't Autoglym use petrolium distillates in their carrying media? If so these are probably attacking any adhesive on the pads.

Good point, but I have been using Autoglym on my pads and they are OK. My white Autoglym pad has effectively done 5 vehicles already, no problems as yet with orange or gray. My gray has also done 5 vehicles using AutoGlym ExtraGloss protection. I may send an email to the experts in America!

On another point I have found an other possible source of pads and polishing stuff. Screwfix have just launched a range. Only problem is they come with backing plates attached and I am not sure of how to attach to the portercable, has anyone got any ideas?

The good news is the prices are from £3.99, and they have multiple grades.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=102001&ts=40228

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried lazy wax?

You wash the car , spray this stuff on wet and chamois it off and hey presto .. perfect beading in about a millionth of the time it takes to wax :D

And its only £5.99 a bottle from hellfords and that does 15 times :bannana: :D

Goldfish11 said:
Good point, but I have been using Autoglym on my pads and they are OK. I may send an email to the experts in America!

On another point I have found an other possible source of pads and polishing stuff. Screwfix have just launched a range. Only problem is they come with backing plates attached and I am not sure of how to attach to the portercable, has anyone got any ideas?

The good news is the prices are from £3.99, and they have multiple grades.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=102001&ts=40228

I can get these from a wholesaler, they are dirt cheap but will not fit the porter cable. They have a 14mm female threaded adapter for use with rotary polishers. I have emailed Autopia and am awaiting a reply.

fuzzer said:
Has anyone here tried lazy wax?

You wash the car , spray this stuff on wet and chamois it off and hey presto .. perfect beading in about a millionth of the time it takes to wax :D

And its only £5.99 a bottle from hellfords and that does 15 times :bannana: :D

Just use regular wax in the rinsing water. I don't use detergent on the car anymore just wax in the wash bucket. If anything the car comes cleaner as the wax softens flies and tar better.

jimmy said:
Seem similar type of thing at Makro, Halfords etc for less than £20. I think the price speaks for itself really.

I have also found it elsewhere since posting that last - I tend to agree that you get what you pay for. Just don't fancy the thought of all the extra costs involved if I buy a Porter Cable unit.

Anyone using a cordless type?

GordonTarling said:
I have also found it elsewhere since posting that last - I tend to agree that you get what you pay for. Just don't fancy the thought of all the extra costs involved if I buy a Porter Cable unit.

Anyone using a cordless type?
Have a look on page 2 of this thread, I've also read on Autopia people buying the cordless and sending it back, mainly because of it not holding its charge.
Do a search on Autopia for Porter Cable and you will not find a bad report and there's alot of threads about it !!
Mine cost me £163 for the Ultimate Package and thats with extra pads,8 in total including the pads you get with the Ultimate Package and microfiber towels and £65 for ScrewFix Transformer etc. So leave the Microfiber Towels and it will be less than £200 total set up cost with extra pads !! Don't forget register with Autopia and they send you a 10% discount code to use on your first purchase. All delivered in 3 working days !!

Or you could buy the cordless from Meguires UK for £99, 8 pads at £13 each and £4 P&P TOTAL £207 :crazy: and it may not be suitable !! The Porter Cable is tried and tested with NO bad reports !!

Last edited:
Aletank said:
Have a look on page 2 of this thread, I've also read on Autopia people buying the cordless and sending it back, mainly because of it not holding its charge.
Do a search on Autopia for Porter Cable and you will not find a bad report and there's alot of threads about it !!
Mine cost me £163 for the Ultimate Package and thats with extra pads,8 in total including the pads you get with the Ultimate Package and microfiber towels and £65 for ScrewFix Transformer etc. So leave the Microfiber Towels and it will be less than £200 total set up cost with extra pads !! Don't forget register with Autopia and they send you a 10% discount code to use on your first purchase. All delivered in 3 working days !!

Or you could buy the cordless from Meguires UK for £99, 8 pads at £13 each and £4 P&P TOTAL £207 :crazy: and it may not be suitable !! The Porter Cable is tried and tested with NO bad reports !!

I also agree with the above, I went through many months of research before taking the plunge and the Porter Cable is excellent, a great investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom