Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nick In your opinion is this acceptable (please ignore the fact the numpty filming is driving as well)

It's got nothing to do with what's acceptable or what is not, it's about reporting dangerous driving in the correct way.

That rottweiler isn't being aggressive... It's barking

Lovely dogs, given a horrible name by Hollywood and alarmists

And everyone knows yorkies are killers!! ;-)

I've phoned 999 once from my car to report dangerous driving - a car driving slowly and eratically the wrong way up the A46 at Warwick. They seemed happy to accept the call, I was happy I'd done my bit.

That's where you went wrong. You should have contacted your local police station when you got home - or maybe the Samaritans.

He wasn't cutting anyone up was he!?

Or, you could have waited until a fatal accident had occurred, then you can call 999 without wasting their time.

Never use an emergency number for an emergency situation - simply wait for the eventuality to occur as preventative actions are a waste of time.

Once the accident had occurred, then you would have saved the emergency services from sitting around wasting our taxes because they have nothing to do.

Compare that saving to a measily phone call and a few of minutes of time...

:thumb:

Well johneboy, surely you could just email them, I mean why waste a phone call? :p

That rottweiler isn't being aggressive... It's barking

Lovely dogs, given a horrible name by Hollywood and alarmists

Generally owned ( certainly on the estates round here ) for bragging rights , along with Staffies and dogs like that.

No doubt they can be lovely dogs when brought up in a family home that cares for them , but ( broadly speaking ) the sort of people that walk around bare chested on a summers day down the high street , can of lager in hand , terrier straining at the leash don't fit that bill.

No alarmism needed , i bet the figures would show that more people are maimed and killed by dogs that fit the 'dangerous dogs' category ( hence why i guess it is called that ? ) than the average family pooch.

Generally owned ( certainly on the estates round here ) for bragging rights , along with Staffies and dogs like that.

No doubt they can be lovely dogs when brought up in a family home that cares for them , but ( broadly speaking ) the sort of people that walk around bare chested on a summers day down the high street , can of lager in hand , terrier straining at the leash don't fit that bill.

No alarmism needed , i bet the figures would show that more people are maimed and killed by dogs that fit the 'dangerous dogs' category ( hence why i guess it is called that ? ) than the average family pooch.

Actually yes, Rottweilers almost top the bill for maiming attacks (us stats) however they beat the likes of chow chows due to sheer popularity... Just dog bites however they don't come close (I've got the stats somewhere)... Sadly when they attack it's well publicised. The dangerous dogs category is only three or four dogs, that are to be destroyed immediately and are banned in the uk (American pit bull being the most famous)

I feel for the owners of this breed, I myself own a German shepherd simply because my wife was terrified of rotties, however after owning shadow for a year she's coming around to the idea of a little rottie pup.

ANY dog, owned by idiots and not trained properly is liable to bite... Sadly the idiots only seem to want staffies and the like (very few own a pure bred rottie,gsd etc because they aree so expensive to purchase a good one)

Totally off topic... But i do like to stick up for those dogs! :)

Surely the root of this (somewhat lengthy) discussion is the fact that there are degrees of dangerousness to any given situation that's witnessed.

We must all be able to agree that not every conceivable driving situation can be written into guidelines with regards to the appropriate course of action to take. (Even if it were how many of us would memorise the different possible courses of action and know which to use for any given scenario :dk:)

It seems to me that this boils down to perceived danger as witnessed by the OP. in his view this was dangerous enough to require urgent attention by the police and so calling 999 seems a rational approach to take.

Surely we must be allowed to use our own judgement and common sense when deciding whether or not to call 999 or one of the myriad of non-emergency numbers depending on what we're faced with.

Perspective.... a way of regarding situations, facts, etc, and judging their relative importance.

I suggest Derek has more experience than most (JBR excluded ) to be able to judge the relative importance of the situation he witnessed thus concluding 999 was the correct course of action in this case. Other situations would no doubt warrant different courses of action. None of us were there ( unless someone isn't owning up to being the Rover 75 driver ) so are not in a position to fully judge Derek's action, however, I contend that his experience would absolutely make him a credible witness who's word would be good enough for me. The strong reaction to his original post makes me wonder what is really at the heart of the objections. :dk:

It seems to me that this boils down to perceived danger as witnessed by the OP. in his view this was dangerous enough to require urgent attention by the police and so calling 999 seems a rational approach to take.

Assuming the O/p is qualified to decide what is unsafe and dangerous driving and not just over-reacting.

Assuming the O/p is qualified to decide what is unsafe and dangerous driving and not just over-reacting.

Having met Derek, knowing his line of work and the stretch of road in question, I have no doubt at all that he made the correct decision. It wasn't one bad manoeuvre but plain dangerous driving putting other road users at risk.

The RTU at Govan is but a few miles along the road so there would have been a strong probability of the driver being stopped before something major happened.

Having met Derek, knowing his line of work and the stretch of road in question, I have no doubt at all that he made the correct decision. It wasn't one bad manoeuvre but plain dangerous driving putting other road users at risk.

The RTU at Govan is but a few miles along the road so there would have been a strong probability of the driver being stopped before something major happened.

What is his line of work ( or what is your line work should you be reading this) ?

I ask as even Black Rat, of whom it is his line of work said his answer was in his opinion and not necessarily that of the force, and this line of work point has been made a few times.

I am a photographer with the Fire Service - besides doing the usual PR stuff , I attend serious incidents , including fatal fires and road traffic collisions . Being trained to observe and document evidence , as well as to present evidence in court , I along with our other officers make equally credible witnesses in court to police officers .

I am also trained in emergency response driving , taught advanced driving for a number of years , and took my training to the level that I was teaching others to become assessors for the IAM and League of Safe Drivers ( which subsequently became RoSPA ) .

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach and those that can't teach, examine.

I should know, I'm an A1 CFS Examiner :)

I am a photographer with the Fire Service - besides doing the usual PR stuff , I attend serious incidents , including fatal fires and road traffic collisions . Being trained to observe and document evidence , as well as to present evidence in court , I along with our other officers make equally credible witnesses in court to police officers .

I am also trained in emergency response driving , taught advanced driving for a number of years , and took my training to the level that I was teaching others to become assessors for the IAM and League of Safe Drivers ( which subsequently became RoSPA ) .

In that case, im sure youve had your fill of "horribleness" and so would be concerned at such driving, and thus are truly qualified to know when 999 should be called.

He's only driving like that because he's only got a Rover. He wouldn't have to if he had a Merc, people would just move out of the way :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom