S205 C63 Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Haha I can imagine it brings a tear to your eye DWK lol

I noticed you changed your profile pic, very nice indeed! 👍

Haha I can imagine it brings a tear to your eye DWK lol

I noticed you changed your profile pic, very nice indeed! 👍
Definitely. Great cars, but the running costs are pretty high. Have you had a test drive in one yet?

You’re not obliged to take dealer finance. You can secure finance separately.
Sorry Bobby Dazzler I missed you out, I usually try to reply to everyone 🤦‍♂️

I did mention to the Lincoln MB salesman that Santander have a much lower finance rate, and I did ask him if I could use them instead. He didn't seem too impressed with the idea and told me Santander would have to lend me the money and then I would pay the dealership ....as if it was a cash purchase? Didn't sound right to me 🤔

Especially as I know Santander don't do this, they deal with dealers directly, you can't set something up with them as an individual.

Definitely. Great cars, but the running costs are pretty high. Have you had a test drive in one yet?
I haven't!!! I was waiting till I got closer to the end of my current PCP but now the forecourts are all closed due to the lockdown.

It's very frustrating, currently they're expecting people to buy cars having never seen them in the flesh, never mind a test drive! You sort everything out over the phone and emails, then just rock up one day and drive off....?! Madness

I did mention to the Lincoln MB salesman that Santander have a much lower finance rate, and I did ask him if I could use them instead. He didn't seem too impressed with the idea and told me Santander would have to lend me the money and then I would pay the dealership ....as if it was a cash purchase? Didn't sound right to me 🤔

Especially as I know Santander don't do this, they deal with dealers directly, you can't set something up with them as an individual.
The salesman was probably thinking of a traditional personal unsecured loan which you would take out as a separate thing and then you would indeed be a cash buyer, so no finance commission for him.

I wasn't aware until I just searched that Santander do car finance packages so maybe he isn't either. Again, expect to face resistance as he won't get commission on the finance and these days that's worth more than the reward for selling a car...

Hi Steve, ye I've just finished a PCP with Santander. They were great, they come in somewhere between 4 - 4.6% APR, which is half what MB are asking for. This obviously makes a big difference to how far I can stretch my budget.

Again, expect to face resistance as he won't get commission on the finance and these days that's worth more than the reward for selling a car...
I can believe it! I need to bear this mind next time, push a bit harder if they try to fob me off 👍

Sorry Bobby Dazzler I missed you out, I usually try to reply to everyone 🤦‍♂️

As suggested I think I he is confusing it with a personal unsecured loan, rather than car finance secured on the car. Let him know and h should change his view.

He may well be gutted that he loses out on finance commission but you’re not a charity. If not then move on to the next car, there are even more cars than salespeople.

Thanks Bobby Dazzler, I'll keep patient and keep looking, the hunt continues 👍

I'll make sure to be clear about what I'm asking for next time, hopefully they'll already be set up with a nice low APR finance company 🤞

Maybe that will help me with depreciation then. Certainly, the first owner paid over £80k for my one and also had PPF applied from new.
As soon as i got mine, i costed up what it would of been brand new with the aid of that VIN checking website that lists all your factory options and the brochure from 2016. Mine isnt even that high spec (i.e it only has one button on the little panel by the light switch) but it came to around £75k brand new. Mine does have the carbon fibre pack 1 and 2 though which are eye watering expensive for what it is IMO

So with dealer discount, he must of paid high £60s I guess. I picked it up for £33k. Not bad for 1 owner 21k miles

Reading the other posts regarding finance...always an interesting debate...you'll always secure the best deal if you agree to take dealer finance. When i bought mine i was a cash buyer plus my Part-ex. The salesman must of asked my 5 times what my monthly budget was. NEVER GIVE THIS AWAY. They'll just tailor a deal that agrees to your budget meaning you have no excuse to turn it down. Always say the monthlies doesn't bother you, its the cost to change cars you're interested in

When discussing the deal i made a proposal which the salesman said they would only accept if i took the finance, which i agreed to. The day i collected my car, i rang the finance company to cancel the finance agreement within the 14 day cooling off period. Absolutely no bother at all. I think the charges where around £60

I managed to secure 2k of the screen price, 1.5k more for my A45 that WBAC/Autotrader had suggested and got all 4 wheels refurbed. Was really happy with the deal. What was really weird was i think having a mask on helped me. I took away that awkwardness you sometimes get when asking for money off haha

I haven't!!! I was waiting till I got closer to the end of my current PCP but now the forecourts are all closed due to the lockdown.

It's very frustrating, currently they're expecting people to buy cars having never seen them in the flesh, never mind a test drive! You sort everything out over the phone and emails, then just rock up one day and drive off....?! Madness

Have to say, this is precisely how I bought my car. I found the one I wanted (in Bristol - I live in Derbyshire), called them and asked to come down and see it (appointment only, indy garage), they said they were 'only doing click and collect' but appreciated that for a car like this you need to come and see it (I greased the wheels here by offering to put a deposit down as I was convinced it was a minter). Anyway, dude on the phone booked me in, I went down there 3 days later, met his business partner, checked the car out for ooh, 15 minutes (yes this bit is possibly madness), drove it out of the covered area where they'd put it, round their yard and agreed the deal. Job done.

Crazy, maybe but when you know, you know - I do anyway. I was buoyed by the fact the other cars being sold/looked at that day at that particular place were a Vantage V8 and a old Ferrari - not bad stable mates :)

My first proper drive was a week later and it was terrifying but also extremely exciting :) Not looked back and that was in July 2020. I wouldn't ordinarily buy a car without a drive but the garage had great reviews, they knew the provenance of the car inside and out (having known the previous owner and also having sold him his next car), so I was confident i'd be ok.

I found you have to be quick too, the good cars don't hang around for long.

Hi dano, it's mad we now live in a World where the financer is preferred to the cash buyer! I might have to pretend to be a cash buyer so I get a better deal lol

By the way that blue C63 you picked out as your favourite on Autotrader has gone already! Was only on there a few days! 🙄

Hi sgregory, I think if I got to the point of viewing one and actually test driving it, even if it is just round the yard, I'd probably refuse to leave without it myself!

I found you have to be quick too, the good cars don't hang around for long.
You're definitely right there, doesn't help that there's only 8 on Autotrader right now 🙄
I'd luv to get the S with PP but the odds are stacked against me it seems

I might have to pretend to be a cash buyer so I get a better deal lol
Ah you misunderstood....i had the cash so knew my max budget, but i took the finance option to secure the best deal....then paid off the finance in the cooling off period

Being very crude, i had a budget of 35k, being 20k cash and my A45 which the internet valued at around 15k part/ex from numerous sources.

My car had a screen price of 35k. The deal i screwed down was a screen price of 33k and a part/ex price of 16.5k, therefore a cost to change of 16.5k. The dealer said he would accept this deal only if i took their PCP package....at a hefty rate of 10.9%. I agreed knowing i would simply pay off the finance deal when i picked my car up

It was also very strange when i took delivery....As my A45 value was over the Maximum 35% PCP deposit allowance, not only did i pick up a shiny new car, they also paid me about 5 grand into my bank. That was a good day haha

Just looking at the finance agreement now...The interest charged was £5,824, so not only did i save that, i also saved 3.5k what i was willing to pay.

Hi dano, I knew what you meant, I was saying perhaps I shouldn't be so open about wanting PCP, perhaps I should play my cards a bit closer to my chest, make the dealer think he needs to sell his finance package to me 😉

Thank you for sharing the numbers though, I know people don't always like to talk about money but it's helpful to me to see what deals others have managed... and hear their bargaining tips 👍

Hi peeps, I was wondering if I could ask some of you lucky owners a few general questions:

1. What is your favourite option/feature(s)?
2. What is your biggest gripe/least favourite thing?
3. What is the thing/option you wish you had?
4. Services at MB or Indie?
5. Overall how would you rate the 205 C63
(Against your other cars or just in general)

Thank you in advance for any responses I get, I just thought it would make for some interesting reading, and help me decide what to look for 👍

Hi peeps, I was wondering if I could ask some of you lucky owners a few general questions:

Thank you in advance for any responses I get, I just thought it would make for some interesting reading, and help me decide what to look for 👍
Answers below :)

1. Got to be the hold feature in drive, whilst sitting at lights. Push down on the peddle to stop, push again to initiate the hold and then take your foot off - touch the accelerator to move off, brilliant. I had a similar feature in my old Audi but it required pressing button to activate it first and then it was overly sensitive to use. Alternatively, I also love the feature that allows you to both open AND close the boot from inside or outside the car.

2. Biggest gripe is the interior rattling unfortunately. I know the car is setup to be stiff (even in comfort mode) so is bound to suffer from some noise, but on less than perfect roads it is annoying. The only thing I will say is that this isn't the first performance car i've owned that has this 'feature', my old E46 M3 also rattled like an S.O.B on rough roads so i'm guessing its a common problem.

3. Probably Distronic, I can see that being very handy on long motorway journey's in Europe, regular cruise is fine but the added benefit of radar would definitely help.

4. I'll be doing both, bought a 3 year service plan for the regular items as it works out cheaper and will likely visit an Indy for stuff like brakes and other ancillaries.

5. Overall i'd rate my car as 9/10 (-1 for the rattles and the cheap plastics in use on the dash). Whereas my old M3 was like a surgical instrument, precise and controllable and my C36 was a proper motorway cruiser (comfortable too), the C63 is an absolute sledgehammer and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just my 2 penneth!

The interior rattles on 205's are so disappointing. Ive had to fix a few now for this issue.

Ok here’s mine;
1. Pan roof lifts what would otherwise be a dull interior. Distatronic, radar cruise is useful although I understand eats the rear brakes. The S seats are fantastic. The forged wheels look good. The drivers pack of higher top speed hasn’t yet been tested.
2. As others have said rattles.
3. HUD. Had one in my last two cars before this one, albeit the digital display does show speed, so acts as close second.
4. MB dealer
5. I had a 535i prior to this and also have an M3 comp in the family. The AMG is a do it all car, bought for my dog, but can hustle, sounds great too, 174mph where allowed. The command system isn’t as good as BMW iDrive and the rattles shouldn’t be there. I got most sorted before the manufacturers warranty ran out.

Thank you for spending the time to answer those questions sgregory and DWK this is really good info for me!

I've actually heard of the rattle issue before, it's definitely a recurring theme. Interesting to hear you manage to get most fixed DWK, I don't suppose you know what the fixes where do you? Could come in very useful 😬

I didn't know about the hold feature, I like it, good top tip sgregory 👍 I'll probably do the same regards servicing too mate.

By the way Autotrader seems to be on one, number of C63 estates has nearly doubled in the last 2 days!

It also has auto handbrake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom