Selling your wheels? Cancel the insurance IMMEDIATELY!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

MB Enthusiast
Car
C270CDI Avantgarde SE
Last edited:
That can't be right.

If he's sold the bike, he's no longer the owner, so he can't grant "permission" for anyone to ride it??

Lol.

I'm concerned that my insurance would be void if I don't mention all the mods to my car these days.

Yet here we have a situation where an individuals insurance is being called upon to pay out on behalf of another rider who wasn't legally allowed to drive and had no insurance and died - and they are paying out.

WTF was I ever worried about.

Unbelievable.

I understand that when you insure a vehicle, you also insure the potential thief should someone steal it.

This is why you can get extra discounts by beefing up security even when you have third party only insurance.

The above is a similar thing really. An uninsured rider - a quick check on the insurers database and low and behold the vehicle is insured. The innocent third party is able to make a claim.

No different to you crashing while drink driving - although uninsured for personal damage, the insurer has to provide third party insurance. There is a valid certificate of insurance that the insurer must stand by.

Many insurance companies will not insure you if you're not the registered keeper. Some will not if you're not the owner. It's something to do with "insurable Interest".

So I'm surprised that the insurance company is liable since their client is no longer the registered keeper or owner.

Is it relevant that this happened in Scotland (differing laws)?

Be interesteed to see what our legal experts say.

Interesting thread.

Many insurance companies will not insure you if you're not the registered keeper. Some will not if you're not the owner. It's something to do with "insurable Interest".

So I'm surprised that the insurance company is liable since their client is no longer the registered keeper or owner.

Is it relevant that this happened in Scotland (differing laws)?

Be interested to see what our legal experts say.

Interesting thread.

Yes you can only insure something of you stand to suffer losses from it being destroyed / damaged etc.

Insurer attaching to the vehicle - check
Identified rider - check
Insured - no
Motor Insurers Bureau deal under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement - check...

But as MIB is fund of last resort vehicle insurer has to pick up and deal.

Simples.

Harsh, but correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom