• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SL60 or SL600 or ...? Confused

No, I've never see a 600 Silver Arrow in the UK either. Will see if I can find out how many there were

According to howmanyleft only 30 SL600s between 1993 and 1998 and none thereafter until the R230 came out.

According to howmanyleft only 30 SL600s between 1993 and 1998 and none thereafter until the R230 came out.

I didn't realise they were that rare. Probably a good investment then. If only I was in a position to house more cars...

Looks to me a SL600 with AMG bodykit and exhaust and that's it. . No such thing as SL600 AMG.

R129 V12 worth having is a Silver Arrow edition and the holy grail 7.3 AMG. And this is just my opinion and not based on any research !!

That maybe correct for the UK market, but certainly not for elsewhere in the world.

There were AMG versions on the R129 SL600 and W140 S600 which had AMG suspension, and AMG engine plates indicating 425 HP as opposed to 394 HP for the standard cars.

I've seen quite of these in the Middle East, and enquired with AMG re an S600 AMG I wanted to buy and they confirmed it was a genuine AMG car.

re SL60 vs SL600, personally I'd go with the V12 every time. The SL60 may have marginally more HP, and marginally better handling due to a shorter engine block, however, if it comes to £13k vs £30k, I'd take the SL600 and £17k in my back pocket without blinking.

To my mind, the R129 is an great cruiser, but a terrible sports car. The V12 just seems to suit the character of the car better.

An SL60 will however make a much better investment if you're looking for a garage queen.

That maybe correct for the UK market, but certainly not for elsewhere in the world.

There were AMG versions on the R129 SL600 and W140 S600 which had AMG suspension, and AMG engine plates indicating 425 HP as opposed to 394 HP for the standard cars.

I've seen quite of these in the Middle East, and enquired with AMG re an S600 AMG I wanted to buy and they confirmed it was a genuine AMG car.

re SL60 vs SL600, personally I'd go with the V12 every time. The SL60 may have marginally more HP, and marginally better handling due to a shorter engine block, however, if it comes to £13k vs £30k, I'd take the SL600 and £17k in my back pocket without blinking.

To my mind, the R129 is an great cruiser, but a terrible sports car. The V12 just seems to suit the character of the car better.

An SL60 will however make a much better investment if you're looking for a garage queen.

I think overall, above is fair comment.

Vis-a vis the 600 Silver Arrow, I thought they were only about 30 of them and soley for the US market. Could be wrong :dk:

To my mind, the R129 is an great cruiser, but a terrible sports car.

It's no hardcore trackday special that's for sure :D

But with ADS it can be hustled along pretty nicely for a 2-tonne car :)

I found that it grips and handles well but wouldn't be my choice for a spirited drive on typical interesting UK roads. We were planning on going to France in it but ended up hiring an A3 Sport. Whilst I would have liked more power, I was following a local around some country roads and just managing to keep up. I remember thinking I would have had no chance in the SL. I also drove it in the Pyrenees a lot and again think I enjoyed the A3 more than I would have enjoyed the SL from a pure driving perspective. It doesn't compare with other cars I've owned such as Porsche 996, BMW M3 Evo (E36) and Honda SL2000 or others I have driven such as Porsche Boxter, Cayman etc however it's great on fast open roads and motorways. It's also fine on smaller roads but not so much if you like a spirited drive. That said the overall experience of owning and driving it was a pleasure. Loads of compliments, the open top V8 experience, looking back at it after getting out etc etc.

Thought this might be of interest from the auction thread:

Old Today, 05:48 PM #26
Peter Grayson

Car: Mercedes S class
Had a look at the SL60 for auction as I was in the area yesterday . History is incomplete and it was in storage in a warehouse in Gibraltar between 2008-2013. MB service history up to 2006 then nothing. Car very dusty and in a dimly lit barn. Luckily I had a torch but could only open one door fully wide given other cars around it etc.

My impression is that, cosmetically it might be OK. Not pristine/mint/immaculate but not a complete dog. Evidence of some slight (or slight on the surface anyway) rust on NSR arch, driver's door and body below boot lid. Paint dull, I think, but hard to tell given the layer of dust, which I didn't want to scratch away, and the lighting. Shut lines seemed OK. Suffice to say it didn't sparkle. Wheels nicely refurbished. No obvious leaks underneath but v dark and dusty so hard to be really certain. Sorry, this sounds like a list of caveats! However, as I'm not interested in the car (prefer something I can drive first and have mechanically checked over) I thought this might at least be of some interest/use to anyone who might be thinking of bidding. Some interior work needed as driver's seat a bit tatty and slight tear to trim below driver's seat edge. Mats/carpets have seen better days. Hard top looks OK and no rust visible, though dull paint spot about the size of a 10p piece - looks like the effect of a bird dropping left a bit long. There's a spare wheel and tyre but looks the wrong size

Battery disconnected so no chance to check anything electrical or start/drive, as expected. Clean under bonnet, though bonnet insulation flapping loose. Boot latch won't engage but boot closes and stays closed. Number plates illegally spaced, as you can see from photos.

Exhaust tips even worse in the flesh than the photos!

Spec is per the ad - i.e. no Xenons, pano, heated seats, ADS, parking sensors (if sensors were ever an option)

Hope that helps someone out there

Yup. With a staggered setup you'd have to choose whether to have a 'front spare' or a 'rear spare' anyway, even if they'd fit into the well in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom