Steering Wheels Swapped - Now Buttons Don't Work!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No one can complain we haven;t strayed from the topic ;)

So onto the fuel lines... :D

Lets hope to god we wont start a thread saying, when I steer left the car goes right after swapping these two units over!

That sounds like a plan :)

My clock being wrong is going to drive me mad in the mean time! :crazy: :D

Are you confident in the removal of the spring? No standing outside with that one lol ;) :p

I watched mine being removed when I had Linguatronic installed. You have to be very careful !!

As far as your clock is concerned... Get COMAND installed :D :D

I watched mine being removed when I had Linguatronic installed. You have to be very careful !!

As far as your clock is concerned... Get COMAND installed :D :D

Sounds like your bit of an expert ;)

Do you think your upto the job?

I like the comand idea!

It is a basic CANBUS error. There are generational differences and the spiral does all of the hard work decoding the desired actions in conjunction with the airbag (which has a board behind it).

Without this combination you magically get no results. Or such a result as to get partial operation. I presume HORN still works.

There are 3 pin airbags, 4 pin airbags, airbags with gear shifting controllers, after 2005 airbags.

So swapping them over should do the trick then. To be honest I've not tried the horn yet :)
There are always ways and means, do not give up
BULL.jpg

It is a basic CANBUS error. There are generational differences and the spiral does all of the hard work decoding the desired actions in conjunction with the airbag (which has a board behind it).

Without this combination you magically get no results. Or such a result as to get partial operation. I presume HORN still works.

There are 3 pin airbags, 4 pin airbags, airbags with gear shifting controllers, after 2005 airbags.

No, the horn does not work! :crazy:

So miro, do you believe swapping the spirals (i.e. making sure the spriral from my car goes with the my Sport wheel into bigmac's car and vice-versa) will cure the problem?

I had a good look last night as far as I could see,beyond the clock, but could not detect any other changes, but please do not qoute me, as long as the CAN is intact it should read out, and the Can is not connected on the secondary side of the clock spring

I have copied this STAR printout from another thread only because it shows a SCM (steering control module) error and also gives the part number. As the car is also a 203 I thought I could use this to findout about the part, where it is located etc.. I have fed this number into EPC but nothing is found :confused:

I can find no reference to a SCM anywhere :crazy:

attachment.php

Do you think it will blend with the interior?

web1.jpg

;)

That wheel sure looks good in your car bigmac :) especially as you have the Alu-Linear trim as well..
It was looking out of place in my car now its all Birds-eye maple

I couldn't agree more! The wheel fits perfectly with my interior!! :)

I'm sure swapping this spiral should do the trick. If its the only part thats different between the cars then hopefully its the missing link.

Why they would change it for a trim option is beyond me!

Theres a tool to lock the spiral, which comes free with the column jacket, with the switch mechasim etc - its a red key like thing that just clips into it

Theres the contact spiral, and a SCM (which may be seperate, dunno, Miro probably does know), The SCM is the interface between the CANbus and the contact spiral and thus the steering wheel buttons I think.

Cheers

Richard

(peter, send me your address and i'll try and dig one red key thing out for you)

Hi guys!

Sorry, am quite busy at the mo. But...

The SCM (steering column module) sits directly behind the contact spiral. In WIS it's code is N80.
However, like WN, I can't find it on EPC. All I can see is the contact spiral and the steering column wiring harness (A000 540 90 05 - for W203040)

It does seem to be the next step to swap the column modules but personally, I would check the wiring diagrams first as changing them 'could throw up other probs.

If you both want to (?) send me you're VIN's, I'll check the differences on WIS and send you the diagrams.

Looking at the W203040 (Bigmacplease) there was a pin change but was for the airbag and was in 2003.

Hey jay any help is welcome :)

So you think the spiral swap is not enough? It needs to be the wiring loom behind it?

Thanx bud!

Hey jay any help is welcome :)

So you think the spiral swap is not enough? It needs to be the wiring loom behind it?

Thanx bud!

No, I'm not saying that. Just that looking on WIS wiring diagramms will 'show' the differences between the modules.

No, I'm not saying that. Just that looking on WIS wiring diagramms will 'show' the differences between the modules.

I have done my best on this count, sadly it is not easy to print diagrams from WIS. and I cant get them both up at the same time. I have looked at both but I cant see anything different, but as before, I am not perfect and may have missed somrthing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom