Steering Wheels Swapped - Now Buttons Don't Work!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only difference I've discovered is the contact spiral and we knew that already from the part numbers!!

So, does the airbag connection "by-pass" the spiral/SCM "conditioning" as neither of us had any SRS errors?

I have done my best on this count, sadly it is not easy to print diagrams from WIS. and I cant get them both up at the same time. I have looked at both but I cant see anything different, but as before, I am not perfect and may have missed somrthing

Hi,
When you have the wiring diagram up in WIS, go to document functions (lower left of screen), Print facillity is in those options.

I always do this and print docs out when comparing diagrams. I useually forget what was where if I swap back and forth on PC:eek:

The only difference I've discovered is the contact spiral and we knew that already from the part numbers!!

So, does the airbag connection "by-pass" the spiral/SCM "conditioning" as neither of us had any SRS errors?

Hopefuly you're right, and thats the only difference!!

As far as I can see the airbag is connected through the contact spiral and SCM.

Hi,
When you have the wiring diagram up in WIS, go to document functions (lower left of screen), Print facillity is in those options.

I always do this and print docs out when comparing diagrams. I useually forget what was where if I swap back and forth on PC:eek:

Last month I sent out 47 print outs from there, I used to print on paper and scan, but the time and cost to me was too high so I use a memory stick and send from there now as its so simple to take from one computer to another to Email.

The problem with diagrams is that they are horizontal using up to 6-8 pages and you cant print off the ref bar that tells you what is what. I could print onto paper the diagrams but the cost is too high to do free, I give hours as it is

It's looking like the SCM N80 is really just a collection of switch modules (combination, cruise and Linguatronic) held in the steering column switch module housing, simply a tube!

Not sure this helps? But it's looking more and more just a spiral issue??

It's looking like the SCM N80 is really just a collection of switch modules (combination, cruise and Linguatronic) held in the steering column switch module housing, simply a tube!

Not sure this helps? But it's looking more and more just a spiral issue??

well the thread has just spiraled into 6 pages. I wish you luck and I feel sure that it will work. I will take one further look before you start

Interestingly WIS advises if retro-fitting an AMG wheel (which is 4 spoke) to my car I need to change the airbag (obviously) but not the part number of bigmac's airbag.
Now if my car didn't have a Sports pack the required airbag would be as bigmac's
So, again it's pointing at the spiral as being the only difference. I wonder why they are different? After all both airbags have four buttons that do the same things?

Very confusing, and also a bit of deja-vue for me, recalling my rain sensor retro-fit :)

Interestingly WIS advises if retro-fitting an AMG wheel (which is 4 spoke) to my car I need to change the airbag (obviously) but not the part number of bigmac's airbag.
Now if my car didn't have a Sports pack the required airbag would be as bigmac's
So, again it's pointing at the spiral as being the only difference. I wonder why they are different? After all both airbags have four buttons that do the same things?

Very confusing, and also a bit of deja-vue for me, recalling my rain sensor retro-fit :)

Yes there is a third set of instructions for the AMG wheel

The N80 module is the interface between the voltage coded signals that come in via the contact spiral and the CAN network it also accepts the connection's from the various stalks and switches on the jacket tube, it is a physical module (in the tube itself, probably looked at it in EPC many times) and it should be the same on both your car's as they where produced after the wiring changes.

The airbag system's do connect to the module but no conditioning is performed on them and the module is simply a gateway (it was changes to the pin's on the N80 that make up the SRS wiring mod that has been mentioned in this thread).

WIS is not going to help here, get the spirals swapped over and if you get no joy then swap the N80, i don't mean to sound like a t*at but let's not put the cart before the horse.

Just as an aside neither of you have/had shift button control's do you?

Malcolm, if you need to print the legend you will find it on the selection page before you open up the actual wiring diagram's.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan!

No, neither of us have shift buttons.

If A2094601616 has the module N80 included then they are the same for both cars.

So spiral change it is :D

Theres only one way were going to know and thats by doing the swap. Lets hope your part arrives soon peter so we can see :)

All sorted - at a Cost!!

Had to buy a new airbag though :eek: , see here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom