The Complete M271 Engine thread. ( Revised and Updated )

Discussion in 'Engine' started by R2D2, May 15, 2010.

1. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    That's perhaps rather alarmist. It implies the earlier kompressor version of the M271 fails without warning after one fatal death rattle. IIRC from M271 failure reports there are usually ample indications from increased timing chain noise especially at start up prior to the fatal timing chain "jump" that causes the expensive engine failure? The article also fails to mention the fundamental change in timing chain design that the introduction of CGI necessitated [ greater timing accuracy] which lead to the improvement in timing chain/sprocket life??

2. Remmoc

Remmoc Active Member

Car:
    C180 Kompressor
    With all this talk of failed chains and sprockets it makes you wonder how any of these are still running and why they all havent grenaded by now . Mine rattles a tiny amount on start up for a few seconds then its quiet ( 06 C180K ) , Star test picked up nothing apart from a crank sensor being out of range and a duff alarm module . Almost scared to start the thing reading all this . i recon its got to go before my mind explodes .

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The early timing chain/sprocket wear can be easily assessed visually without a complete engine strip down. This visual inspection might be usefully carried out at the 60k miles mark and possibly at 30k mile intervals thereafter or prompted by any noticeable increase in timing chain noise. No sense in replacing what's not worn. While that Oz engine rebuilder site advocates a reasonable preventative approach there may be an element of "job creation" involved. ;)
    p s remember not all 60k mileage is the same in terms of engine revs

4. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    That's pretty much how I feel. It can't possibly be that every car will have a failure. Mine makes a little noise at start up but I'd say only for 1 sec and I can only hear it with the window down. It's done that for the last 5 years so I've assumed it's normal. Once a car is only worth a few thousand what's to lose if it does fail. I'm not too far away from that scenario now and it won't hit 100,000 miles this side of it being 15 years old. After that I'll consider I've had my moneys worth.

Anyone taken the cam cover off to inspect the sprockets ? I assume it's straightforward enough if you have the correct Torx sockets.

Remmoc likes this.
  5. Remmoc

Remmoc Active Member

Car:
    C180 Kompressor
    I too can only hear mine only with the window down for a second or so and only on start up , its running fine so il just go with it . they cant all just grenade surely ?? , mines on 127,000 so if it is on its original chain and sprockets id be very surprised going by what ive found on the net re. this issue

6. Bobclive2

Bobclive2 Active Member

Car:
    slk 280
    Quote That's perhaps rather alarmist. It implies the earlier kompressor version of the M271 fails without warning after one fatal death rattle. Quote

I think they said, if you here the rattle and the EML comes on that`s it.

Quote The article also fails to mention the fundamental change in timing chain design that the introduction of CGI necessitated [ greater timing accuracy] which lead to the improvement in timing chain/sprocket life?? Quote

How do you arrive at that conclusion, especially as the 1.8 CGI petrol engine post 2011 is failing earlier in it`s life. These engines are fitted with the stop/start system and as already stated, 600,000 lifetime starts as against a car pre stop/start of 60,000. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that those thousands of extra starts on a known week system is bound to cause a problem earlier.

Just trying to find out the cause of these earlier 1.8 cgi chain failures some at only 45,000 miles. If chains on pre stop/start cgi engines are lasting longer than the same designed chains on cars with stop/start there must be a link.

Quote Mine rattles a tiny amount on start up for a few seconds then its quiet ( 06 C180K ) . Quote

c180 timing chain problem

It appears the later cars have more of a problem than earlier ones.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  7. Bobclive2

Bobclive2 Active Member

Car:
    slk 280
  8. Richardalexanderbennett

Richardalexanderbennett New Member

Car:
    E200k estate 2004
    Ok so the new (50000) mile engine is in. All is ok except the new engine makes a weird sort of noise on startup not chain or metallic in any way just a sort of woop woop air intake noise. Any ideas (supercharger?)

9. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate