The Complete M271 Engine thread. ( Revised and Updated )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is an interesting read, it appears the M271 kompressor will just let go, if the EML comes on that`s it, the CGI version according to the article below will be repairable as warning is given by rattle at startup and EML on dash.

Part I - Mercedes Benz c-class timing chain (W203-W204) C180/C200/C250 - C&S Service Centre
Part II - Mercedes Benz C-class timing chain rattle (W203-W204) C180/C200/C250 - C&S Service Centre

That's perhaps rather alarmist. It implies the earlier kompressor version of the M271 fails without warning after one fatal death rattle. IIRC from M271 failure reports there are usually ample indications from increased timing chain noise especially at start up prior to the fatal timing chain "jump" that causes the expensive engine failure? The article also fails to mention the fundamental change in timing chain design that the introduction of CGI necessitated [ greater timing accuracy] which lead to the improvement in timing chain/sprocket life??

That's perhaps rather alarmist. It implies the earlier kompressor version of the M271 fails without warning after one fatal death rattle. IIRC from M271 failure reports there are usually ample indications from increased timing chain noise especially at start up prior to the fatal timing chain "jump" that causes the expensive engine failure? The article also fails to mention the fundamental change in timing chain design that the introduction of CGI necessitated [ greater timing accuracy] which lead to the improvement in timing chain/sprocket life??
With all this talk of failed chains and sprockets it makes you wonder how any of these are still running and why they all havent grenaded by now . Mine rattles a tiny amount on start up for a few seconds then its quiet ( 06 C180K ) , Star test picked up nothing apart from a crank sensor being out of range and a duff alarm module . Almost scared to start the thing reading all this . i recon its got to go before my mind explodes .

The early timing chain/sprocket wear can be easily assessed visually without a complete engine strip down. This visual inspection might be usefully carried out at the 60k miles mark and possibly at 30k mile intervals thereafter or prompted by any noticeable increase in timing chain noise. No sense in replacing what's not worn. While that Oz engine rebuilder site advocates a reasonable preventative approach there may be an element of "job creation" involved. ;)
p s remember not all 60k mileage is the same in terms of engine revs

With all this talk of failed chains and sprockets it makes you wonder how any of these are still running and why they all havent grenaded by now . Mine rattles a tiny amount on start up for a few seconds then its quiet ( 06 C180K ) .

That's pretty much how I feel. It can't possibly be that every car will have a failure. Mine makes a little noise at start up but I'd say only for 1 sec and I can only hear it with the window down. It's done that for the last 5 years so I've assumed it's normal. Once a car is only worth a few thousand what's to lose if it does fail. I'm not too far away from that scenario now and it won't hit 100,000 miles this side of it being 15 years old. After that I'll consider I've had my moneys worth.

Anyone taken the cam cover off to inspect the sprockets ? I assume it's straightforward enough if you have the correct Torx sockets.

That's pretty much how I feel. It can't possibly be that every car will have a failure. Mine makes a little noise at start up but I'd say only for 1 sec and I can only hear it with the window down. It's done that for the last 5 years so I've assumed it's normal. Once a car is only worth a few thousand what's to lose if it does fail. I'm not too far away from that scenario now and it won't hit 100,000 miles this side of it being 15 years old. After that I'll consider I've had my moneys worth.

Anyone taken the cam cover off to inspect the sprockets ? I assume it's straightforward enough if you have the correct Torx sockets.
I too can only hear mine only with the window down for a second or so and only on start up , its running fine so il just go with it . they cant all just grenade surely ?? , mines on 127,000 so if it is on its original chain and sprockets id be very surprised going by what ive found on the net re. this issue

Quote That's perhaps rather alarmist. It implies the earlier kompressor version of the M271 fails without warning after one fatal death rattle. Quote

I think they said, if you here the rattle and the EML comes on that`s it.

Quote The article also fails to mention the fundamental change in timing chain design that the introduction of CGI necessitated [ greater timing accuracy] which lead to the improvement in timing chain/sprocket life?? Quote

How do you arrive at that conclusion, especially as the 1.8 CGI petrol engine post 2011 is failing earlier in it`s life. These engines are fitted with the stop/start system and as already stated, 600,000 lifetime starts as against a car pre stop/start of 60,000. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that those thousands of extra starts on a known week system is bound to cause a problem earlier.

Just trying to find out the cause of these earlier 1.8 cgi chain failures some at only 45,000 miles. If chains on pre stop/start cgi engines are lasting longer than the same designed chains on cars with stop/start there must be a link.

Quote Mine rattles a tiny amount on start up for a few seconds then its quiet ( 06 C180K ) . Quote

c180 timing chain problem

It appears the later cars have more of a problem than earlier ones.

Last edited:
Ok so the new (50000) mile engine is in. All is ok except the new engine makes a weird sort of noise on startup not chain or metallic in any way just a sort of woop woop air intake noise. Any ideas (supercharger?)

Hi Experts,

Does the KE16ML uses the same engine block as the KE18ML?
Is it possible to do a stroke up of to 1.6 to the 1.8?

So will these lumps run on E10 when it comes in in the UK ( 06 C180K )

So will these lumps run on E10 when it comes in in the UK ( 06 C180K )
see st13phil's post on the E10 THREAD
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf
QUOTE:-
Mercedes-Benz:E10 petrol is cleared for use in the vast majority of all Mercedes Benz vehicles with petrol engines, except:•First generation direct injection C200 CGI (W203)*, CLK 200 CGI series (C209) of the years 2002 –2005;•Models not equipped with three-way catalysts, models retrofitted with three-way catalysts or produced with a carburettor. These are mainly vehicles older than 25 years.
Smart:E10 petrol is cleared for use in all petrol engine Smart vehicles.
Maybach: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Maybach vehicles
*Don't think these early CGI M271 engines ever made it to the UK market

Last edited:
Guys like BlackC55 and Ian walker may be able to comment both about construction and reliability. My friendly MB mechanic says that 99% of M271 engines run very well without many issues but that is you get a problem it is a complex engine to work on and can take a while to fix. I'm not aware of any gasket issues but others may add there experience.

Agreed, not aware of gasket issues either

Apart form the potentially-catastrophic timing premature gear failure, the M271 only suffers from a couple of very trivial isses (as far as I know), which are thermostat failure (easy fix), and blocked crankcase breather (also an easy fix).

Leaky cam magnets might be one other .

Ive had fluctuating tickover , varies my 50RPM when its hot but seems steady when cold , no codes , battery and alternator have been checked and are both fine
56 reg C180K
Drives fine
Anyway Just had a quick look , there was a small black pipe coming from under the front of the air filter pushed onto something alloy , it went to a small valve then onto a small grey plastic pipe . It was off the engine and flopping in mid air so ive replaced it with some silicon pipe ive got , il see what its like tomorrow. Any idea what its for ?
Click on the pic - its highlighted

Attachments

• mercedes-benz-m271-engine-62292f1b-022e-471a-a41f-5ada7dc805c-resize-750.jpg
    mercedes-benz-m271-engine-62292f1b-022e-471a-a41f-5ada7dc805c-resize-750.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: 190
If its a vacuum pipe that would explain a fluctuating idle when warm= weak mixture ---- probably enough enrichment during warm up to compensate so you would not notice--- if its been like this a while the spark plugs may show signs of running a weak mixture

SOLVED , Tickovers steady and perfect , after much research the pipe goes to the changeover valve and has something to do with the supercharger . Ive reset the Gearbox and TPS and its flying again

I have a 2004 c180k manual that I'm using as a lockdown runaround.. I've got the P0020 and P0172 error codes with a cold start engine shaking that has just started to happen.. cars recently had oil change, new filters (oil, air, fuel and cabin) and a new coolant temperature sensor.. is this most likely timing chain?
P0020 code states on my obd as "A camshaft position actuator circuit / open bank 2"
P0172 states "system too rich bank 1"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom