• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

The idea is that you come up with an innovative idea and thus create the market for it.
This was the case with Apple's first 'personal computer', with the iPhone, with the iPad, etc.
This was also the case with the Renault Espace (the first versatile MPV or People Carrier, if not counting the VW 'minibus'), and with Tesla.
However, the flip sides is that people and companies often build new things that no one wants. It's always a process of trial-and-error.
I'm just pointing out that the industry has a tendency to make stuff because it can make it, rather than because people want it.

Very much like the Apple 1, the first GUI's, Windows 1.0, the Microsoft Band, Bing, Groove and Invoke.

While Renault brought out the Vel Satis & Avantime, which even the French didn't buy.

Says he, tearing his hair out at the lack of petrol engined luxury estate cars that could compete with a Tesla S.

Estate cars are on the way out - even Volvo have stopped selling them (in the UK anyway). It's SUVs or nothing, sadly. Bad luck if you want the ability to move bulky things around without driving something with the aerodynamics of a garden shed.

Estate cars are on the way out - even Volvo have stopped selling them (in the UK anyway). It's SUVs or nothing, sadly. Bad luck if you want the ability to move bulky things around without driving something with the aerodynamics of a garden shed.

^^^^
This

126117_volvo_245.jpg

Precisely my point about the industry making stuff that it wants to make, like higher margin diesel SUV's, rather than what customers want, like petrol estates.

Fortunately Volvo backtracked on the estate decision, and has now brought them back to the UK.

But who wants to look as miserable as Branagh driving Wallander's Volvo estate?

So BMW gets the business, with 2 out of 3 Dreier in Germany being an estate. But just one in four in the UK.

Screenshot 2024-10-25 at 11.37.32.png

Image.jpeg

Whilst the report doesn’t state it, the above headlines suggest that only 33% of households have 2 or more cars which surprised me, I expected there to be more multi car households relative to single car households.

Surprises me too, I expected much more. I did a quick local survey on our daily walk. 15% had one car and 85% 2. Every working household had two cars, the only households with one car being pensioners include one very sharp 85 year old lady who still drives.

In 10% of the households one of the two cars was an EV.

Surprises me too, I expected much more. I did a quick local survey on our daily walk. 15% had one car and 85% 2. Every working household had two cars, the only households with one car being pensioners include one very sharp 85 year old lady who still drives.

I did the same last night when I walked the dog! That’s about what I might expect too. The National travel survey data is the data but it doesn’t seem to reflect what appears to be the case outside of large city/town centres.

This reminds me of the true story about a team of Strategy Consultants from THE top strategy consultancy going into British Leyland in 1985 and "brainstorming" the target market for the Austin Rover Metro. Their main conclusion: a car for one's teenagers, or the Nanny.

True story, told to me by a junior in the team who "disagreed" with his colleagues.

Bottom line: is your local area a typical sample of the nation as a whole?

I live in a narrow lane with around 22 listed building along the length of the lane, My immediate location running backward from No 21 the cars number:
21 - 2 x 4x4. 1 x Mini Cooper, 1 x BMW 325
20 - 1 x Honda Jazz
19 - 1 x Smart 1 x Micra
18 - No car ( Does not drive )
17 - 1 x Honda 4x4, 1 x Mercedes SL 2 x Motorbikes 1 x Nissan Townstar EV
16 - 1 x Petrol Vauxhall
15 - No Car ( Husband died ) Was Citroen Xantia
14 - 1 x Volvo Estate, 1 x Ford Fiesta, 1 x Vauxhall diesel Van
13 - 1 x Nissan
12 - 1 x Citroen people carrier
11 - 1 x Mitsubishi Warrior, MG EV
10 - 1 x Mini Cooper S, Mercedes E Class estate
9 - 1 x 4x4 1 x Tesla S
8 - Fiat 500 EV, Toyota Yaris
7 - Fiat Doblo people carrier ( Dog Carrier )
6 - Toyota Petrol ( Small thing )
5 - Something in the garage and Nissan Juke
4 - SAAB 99 Mini Cooper
3 - Vauxhall estate, Honda HR-V, Peugeot 1008, Toyota Aygo
2 - BMW X5
1 - Nissan Micra

So 4 x EVs, rest are petrol / Diesel, Most of the residents are over 55.

Most have one car, or two cars - If the offspring are still home then around 3+ cars

Most of the cars have not changed in 10 years, Some longer

Parking for the cottages is around 160 feet from the homes - Only a few ( 3 ) have garages ( Listed buildings and all that goes with that debacle ), but do have power, two do have charging points for the EV on the driveway ( All have multi car parking.

That is my location, certain not representative of the majority of Bath - Most homes have zero parking and fight for the couple of spaces available ( I live on the edge of outer hell, and then you are in inner hell within 5 minutes!

We are just outside of the CAZ, Which might explain why there is very little to no urge to buy a new vehicle in my area. I keep my own vehicles for as long as possible, always have, choose wisely and get exactly what you need / want and it will be a keeper ........ not to mention great for the environment by not scrapping a perfectly good vehicle!!

Last edited:
Most have one car, or two cars - If the offspring are still home then around 3+ cars
That is the reality in rural Scotland and with the housing market causing offspring to stay with parents for longer, only likely to exacerbate than diminish. Four (say) cars needing charged twice a week from one wall box charger - jeez, the fights for bathroom access will pale in comparison.
Out of curiosity, how many cars being charged simultaneously via 3-pin can a house supply support?

I live in a narrow lane with around 22 listed building along the length of the lane, My immediate location running backward from No 21 the cars number:
21 - 2 x 4x4. 1 x Mini Cooper, 1 x BMW 325
20 - 1 x Honda Jazz
19 - 1 x Smart 1 x Micra
18 - No car ( Does not drive )
17 - 1 x Honda 4x4, 1 x Mercedes SL 2 x Motorbikes 1 x Nissan Townstar EV
16 - 1 x Petrol Vauxhall
15 - No Car ( Husband died ) Was Citroen Xantia
14 - 1 x Volvo Estate, 1 x Ford Fiesta, 1 x Vauxhall diesel Van
13 - 1 x Nissan
12 - 1 x Citroen people carrier
11 - 1 x Mitsubishi Warrior, MG EV
10 - 1 x Mini Cooper S, Mercedes E Class estate
9 - 1 x 4x4 1 x Tesla S
8 - Fiat 500 EV, Toyota Yaris
7 - Fiat Doblo people carrier ( Dog Carrier )
6 - Toyota Petrol ( Small thing )
5 - Something in the garage and Nissan Juke
4 - SAAB 99 Mini Cooper
3 - Vauxhall estate, Honda HR-V, Peugeot 1008, Toyota Aygo
2 - BMW X5
1 - Nissan Micra

So 4 x EVs, rest are petrol / Diesel, Most of the residents are over 55.

Most of the cars have not changed in 10 years, Some longer

Parking for the cottages is around 160 feet from the homes - Only a few ( 3 ) have garages ( Listed buildings and all that goes with that debacle ), but do have power, two do have charging points for the EV on the driveway ( All have multi car parking.

That is my location, certain not representative of the majority of Bath - Most homes have zero parking and fight for the couple of spaces available ( I live on the edge of outer hell, and then you are in inner hell within 5 minutes!

We are just outside of the CAZ, Which might explain why there is very little to no urge to buy a new vehicle in my area. I keep my own vehicles for as long as possible, always have, choose wisely and get exactly what you need / want and it will be a keeper ........ not to mention great for the environment by not scrapping a perfectly good vehicle!!
So if the rest of the country's like you, one in five vehicles is an EV. (18.5% to be precise)

Interesting. The Government swears blind that there are only 1,250,000 EV's in the UK, roughly 3.75%

If you can get four EV's on your road, the rest of the country can easily accommodate another 5 million EV's making a total of 6,300,000 EV's (18.5% of 34 million)

So what's your explanation for your EV profligacy ? Are you all rich ?

One of my good friends has six cars (including a Ferrari and a Cobra, but no Mercedes) - he recently ordered a new Porsche Taycan.
I have about a hundred friends with a cobra....... 😎

Not an EV but a pioneer in hybrid powertrains. I would love to know how well the battery has held up after almost two decades of use but the owner was nowhere Insight

1729870727637.jpeg

I’ll get me my coat. I genuinely would have liked to know.

Not an EV but a pioneer in hybrid powertrains. I would love to know how well the battery has held up after almost two decades of use but the owner was nowhere Insight

View attachment 163060

I’ll get me my coat. I genuinely would have liked to know.
I'd just about forgotten about those. It really was a great insight to the future almost 1/4 of a century ago, but looking back to the future, it is now the past and it doesn't look quite the same from here...I'll get my De Lorean....

While we are meandering down memory lane, what became of the Twizzy? Are they still in use, considered a success, etc, etc? I've never seen one in the flesh (not surprising, rural Scotland was never going to suit them) but how did they fare in cities? A good idea put to good use or did they just fizzle out and fade away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom