• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

Sorry no i do not have a link to the higher mileage lease option fee. Try contacting mobilize but if you say the higher rate is now around £100 a month happy to accept that figure. Apparently the battery warranty is not that good anyway as they insist on a BMS update before they will ok a replacement battery. This update will put the battery back within spec so no replacement. Repeat ad infinitum.
Unfortunately the only link I have is in Euros on the Renault Group website rather than Renault UK.

In 2021 the UK Government’s National Travel Survey reported:
  • 22% of households without a car
  • 45% households with one car
  • 12 cars for every 10 households in England.
Source:
Whilst the report doesn’t state it, the above headlines suggest that only 33% of households have 2 or more cars which surprised me, I expected there to be more multi car households relative to single car households.

Whilst the report doesn’t state it, the above headlines suggest that only 33% of households have 2 or more cars which surprised me, I expected there to be more multi car households relative to single car households.
At the risk of being repetitious….

We tend to think of “households” as being those “headed” by folks between the ages of 30 and 70. Start looking at singletons under 30 or over 70 and a different world appears.

Is your Granny running multiple cars, let alone your daughter ?

You just bought one.

That's a no then.
I don't imagine those driving an EV had to sacrifice their retirement for it.
Lol... you know nothing about me or my finances...or more importantly my wife's. Im writing this from mortgage free house by the sea listening to the waves. Im not rich... but I'm not destitute either! The difference is the nearly all Teslas or other EV drivers don't own them at all.....its just a glorified rental... many of them done even have their name on the owners doc as the company foots the bill. My name on all six owners docs (admittedly not all cars)....snd I dont owe a penny on any of them. How many of those supposedly richer than me EV drivers can say that?

This thread is now a joke.....FACT is the word in the title..... something that the anti EV posters on here have seem to have precious little of. It's like their religion to dislike EVs with very little evidence.....and just like a real religion can't provide any existence of God at all.....but they still keep insisting they are tight to believe in.... even with a complete absence of proof. It's late and this post or not great but I know what I'm trying to say!! Quoting bs as fact just because you believe it despite evidence (or lack of i guess) is just stupid.
Like an EV?.....then buy one.
Done like one?.... then dont buy one. End off really.
I think for my own sanity I won't be posting anymore in any of the pro/anti EV threads. Thank you and goodnight!

At the risk of being repetitious….

We tend to think of “households” as being those “headed” by folks between the ages of 30 and 70. Start looking at singletons under 30 or over 70 and a different world appears.

Is your Granny running multiple cars, let alone your daughter ?
I’m probably unusual in terms of car ownership and that extends to my daughter 😀

There’s quite a lot of supporting data in that travel survey which breaks down the data by age, gender and other things - maybe geography - but not easily analysed using my phone. I think it would show clear contrasts for the under and over 30s, and city centre and everywhere else.

However that said it the number of individuals owning more than one car is inevitably relatively low. The number of households where each adult has a car each is relatively high, albeit not as high as I might have expected.

This thread is now a joke.....FACT is the word in the title..... something that the anti EV posters on here have seem to have precious little of. It's like their religion to dislike EVs with very little evidence.....and just like a real religion can't provide any existence of God at all.....but they still keep insisting they are tight to believe in.... even with a complete absence of proof. It's late and this post or not great but I know what I'm trying to say!! Quoting bs as fact just because you believe it despite evidence (or lack of i guess) is just stupid.
Like an EV?.....then buy one.
Done like one?.... then dont buy one. End off really.
I think for my own sanity I won't be posting anymore in any of the pro/anti EV threads. Thank you and goodnight!

This threads not been about facts for a long, long time, ALFA
I think I've said this before, can't actually remember, as this threads that long. The folk who seem to not like/hate EVs, are the ones who actually go on about them the most. Usually nonsense. 🤪

Warning: this link contains real information on EV's....but also opens up discussion to another thread at least as long as this one....

"And that’s before you get to the car’s ‘virtual’ eight-speed automatic transmission, which can be engaged at the tap of a steering wheel-mounted N button. It sounds gimmicky but in practice works freakishly well, providing just the right pause between ratios and a real sense of the motor ‘labouring’ when, say, you select eighth at 30mph and plant your foot fully on the throttle.

The mind boggles at how difficult this must have been to engineer, but the results are remarkably effective, creating an extra layer of connection between car and driver. The less said about the synthetic engine note that accompanies it, however, the better."

I find that amusing. An EV built to simulate the driving experience of an ICE car? I guess there's a market for it....

"And that’s before you get to the car’s ‘virtual’ eight-speed automatic transmission, which can be engaged at the tap of a steering wheel-mounted N button. It sounds gimmicky but in practice works freakishly well, providing just the right pause between ratios and a real sense of the motor ‘labouring’ when, say, you select eighth at 30mph and plant your foot fully on the throttle.

The mind boggles at how difficult this must have been to engineer, but the results are remarkably effective, creating an extra layer of connection between car and driver. The less said about the synthetic engine note that accompanies it, however, the better."

I find that amusing. An EV built to simulate the driving experience of an ICE car? I guess there's a market for it....
Well, I think it's been done the other way round as well with ICE cars trying to mimic the turbine smooth torque delivery of an EV. (See Bentley V8 diesel for details...)
I'm just happy to celebrate the whole range of benefits of both EV and ICE......ouch! just sat on one of those splitters again ;)

The average number of cars per household is over 1 though. That probably maps pretty closely to people - not many individuals in the real world (outside MBClub :D) own multiple cars.
One of my good friends has six cars (including a Ferrari and a Cobra, but no Mercedes) - he recently ordered a new Porsche Taycan.

Mmm, what makes you think the Automobile industry makes stuff because people want it ?

Says he, tearing his hair out at the lack of petrol engined luxury estate cars that could compete with a Tesla S.

Mmm, what makes you think the Automobile industry makes stuff because people want it ?

Says he, tearing his hair out at the lack of petrol engined luxury estate cars that could compete with a Tesla S.
Even the Tesla can’t offer something to compete with the Tesla Model S now as it’s only made in LHD.

The idea is that you come up with an innovative idea and thus create the market for it.

This was the case with Apple's first 'personal computer', with the iPhone, with the iPad, etc.

This was also the case with the Renault Espace (the first versatile MPV or People Carrier, if not counting the VW 'minibus'), and with Tesla.

However, the flip sides is that people and companies often build new things that no one wants. It's always a process of trial-and-error.

Even the Tesla can’t offer something to compete with the Tesla Model S now as it’s only made in LHD.
For good reason.

At 6ft 6, it's too wide for UK roads. (Wider than an S class: really?) And hardly suitable for India, Australia and South East Africa.

One of my good friends has six cars (including a Ferrari and a Cobra, but no Mercedes) - he recently ordered a new Porsche Taycan.

I think there's at least one person on this thread who would make that collection look quite modest ...

We just have two cars, a van, and a tractor :D Adding a small car for my son in a couple of weeks as he turns 17 in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom