W213 COMAND online map update stuck on 66%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This sounds like an echo of my problem. I hope you don't have to wait too long for a fix. Someone else was suffering with the same problems as me when I was at the dealer today, their problems are unresolved too.:(

List of issues so far

1. No TA (radio) traffic announcements
2. No audible traffic warnings of any sort
3. LiveTraffic showing routes as green when they are congested (Google Maps show the congestion, for comparison)
4. Map data and LiveTraffic do not recognise certain roads when route planning despite showing on the map itself.
5. Green, yellow and red stripes (denoting traffic flow) are very difficult to make out.
6. Map updates incredibly slow or stall
7. Cannot view list of traffic issues on planned route (unlike previous versions)
8. Cannot load user POIs in to the system (unlike previous versions)

Ultimately, in my view, the whole navigation system has taken a step backwards in functionality whilst at the same time adding a new level of unnecessary complexity, fuelled by the desire to storm forwards with 'connected services'....

List of issues so far

1. No TA (radio) traffic announcements
2. No audible traffic warnings of any sort
3. LiveTraffic showing routes as green when they are congested (Google Maps show the congestion, for comparison)
4. Map data and LiveTraffic do not recognise certain roads when route planning despite showing on the map itself.
5. Green, yellow and red stripes (denoting traffic flow) are very difficult to make out.
6. Map updates incredibly slow or stall
7. Cannot view list of traffic issues on planned route (unlike previous versions)
8. Cannot load user POIs in to the system (unlike previous versions)

Ultimately, in my view, the whole navigation system has taken a step backwards in functionality whilst at the same time adding a new level of unnecessary complexity, fuelled by the desire to storm forwards with 'connected services'....

You have hit it on the head. In my humble opinion I think this has been "rushed" and launched upon us without proper testing.

One of the less desirable features I endure is that when I set the car to observe speed limits, it sometimes accelerates unexpectedly as the speed limits are wrongly identified as being higher, i.e. 70mph in a 30mph or 60mph zone. Worse still, I get occasions where I am travelling on a road where the speed limit is showing correctly, cruise control functioning properly, when the car will suddenly brake because for no reason the speed limit has dropped considerably, according to Comand. I get this on previously driven roads where the system has worked without errors, so I think my hanging installation is actually corrupting the database, somehow.

I often get slowed down on motorways by the cruise control. In my case, it's bloody lorries with those limited to 50mph stickers on the back. Camera reads them as a road sign and brakes the car! You'd think there be logic to check if the road sign the camera is reading is actually stationary; don't see many roads signs running along the pavement!

I often get slowed down on motorways by the cruise control. In my case, it's bloody lorries with those limited to 50mph stickers on the back. Camera reads them as a road sign and brakes the car! You'd think there be logic to check if the road sign the camera is reading is actually stationary; don't see many roads signs running along the pavement!

Sometimes speed limit signs actually move with roadwork machines. At least the signs should move slower than what is written on the sign. :D

How hard does the car slow down when it detects a lower speed limit? Does it decelerate at the sign or before the sign to reach the correct speed from the sign onwards?

I only have the speed limit assist that reads the signs but does not adjust cruise accordingly. The car misreads speed limits much too often to control cruise automatically. Perhaps the feature has improved over a couple of years but I decided to leave that feature out from the 213 we have on order.

I know the cruise assist, what ever is the official name, can be turned off. The option might make sense for other drivers.

The system usually doesn't slow down or speed up the car until it's back end has passed the sign, I.e you're totally within that speed zone. I found that annoying since it doesn't often brake the car to slow down but instead relies on inertia if the speed delta is small. If larger (going from 60 to 30 zone) it does brake the car though fairly gently. It means it's a bit risky where the lovely local authorities have positioned speed camera 300 yards past the speed sign!

Now saying the above, I've seen it occasionally start to slow down in advance of a 30 zone, slowing up from maybe 100 yards before the sign. No idea what logic is at play in the system. I'd love MB to release logic diagrams for all their assists so I can really understand how the car will react.

I don't belive the system reacts to any sat nav information, it seems to be entirely camera based. It detects speed limits on roads that aren't even in the map database. Usually works very well but occasionally is caught out.

On the motorway it's more a surprise than a real issue since the adaptive cruise is wafting you along with brain in neautral and then you suddenly feel yourself braking right next to the lorry that had the bloody speed sticker on its rump.

Well, that's all folks!

OK, so in the end I gave up. I believe I had a Friday afternoon car as the SatNav was just getting worse and worse. The only thing consistent about it was the inconsistencies.

I have changed the car and have a newer E Class, but without adaptive cruise control. I hope the SatNav in this one behaves itself.:crazy:

That's quite early to change out a new model?

I suspect you may be disappointed with your incoming one, however. The latest software updates haven't made things any better...

As my French colleagues would say, "On verra!" (we shall see) - the service department at my dealer actually rang me on the day I decided to change cars and was already in the showroom. I know I wasn't alone with the problem and I really do hope the new one, which has a VIN some 20,000 numbers higher than the last one, will not cause me so much anguish. This is all in the name of progress some would say.

Good luck - I would be very interested to know how you get on!

thanks

The issue with updates getting stuck half-way and not completing is because MB UK opted to install 3G sim cards (on the Vodaphone network) on UK vehicles, whereas MB Germany etc all opted to go with 4G sims. Dealers requested a recall/retro-fit of 4G cards but MB UK refused and instead opted for cars to be returned to dealer workshops and for updates to be carried out plugged in to the MB network (for approx. 4hours).

Awesome. Nearly as clever as the early W204s like mine having an unneccessarily small map partition on the hd so you can't use maps later than V12.

All sounds terrible particularly when this applies to new cars, sort of takes away the new car experience.

Makes me feel smug though, I purchased one of the last issues so the S350 and my software is working wonderfully.

Sorry, but fear not Mercedes will put this right in the end.

[emoji108]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clear things up, my map update got stuck at 66% so I sent a message to Mercedes me. Within 48 hours, they called me from Holland and talked me through a manual download. Pushed the SD card into the car and all done in 10 minutes. BTW, the manual download problem I had was caused by using Chrome, Firefox worked perfectly.

I'm on to my second S213 now. I've had two map updates in my first car, one I did manually, the other downloaded to the car on its own and one download in the second car that worked fine. It takes a while mind (like a couple of days sometimes) but I put that down to the 3G network. It does work in most cases.

The issue with updates getting stuck half-way and not completing is because MB UK opted to install 3G sim cards (on the Vodaphone network) on UK vehicles, whereas MB Germany etc all opted to go with 4G sims. Dealers requested a recall/retro-fit of 4G cards but MB UK refused and instead opted for cars to be returned to dealer workshops and for updates to be carried out plugged in to the MB network (for approx. 4hours).

Sorry but this comment does not make any sense. Even 2G could handle the update, it would just take time.

Service providers can have different restrictions for data rate, max speed and certain volume per month etc. but these are not dependent on the cellular technology generation.

It could be a configuration error at the MB server side. Swapping the modem asks for reconfiguration and might fix the issue. Not because of a change to 4G.

I have a week-old E220d with NTG5.5. I have done as Jocky said (many thanks), and downloaded 20 Gig of map updates, for the whole of Europe (Version 4), to an SD card. Spookily, my UK map was updating automatically at the time, so the Download Manager prevented me from downloading the UK map manually, but I got the rest! I don't want to upset the apple-cart while its running well, so I will wait for the current automatic UK map to finish updating and then try the update of the rest from the SD card. I will let you know how I get on. Incidentally, the UK map has been automatically updated from V2 to V3 already, and is now 78% into updating to V4.

My W213 had been updating since I took delivery at the start of the month. I downloaded all the available updates onto an SD card. When I put it in the slot in the car, I got a message showing updates were available which showed two options - the online update which had been running for 2 weeks, and the SD card which had everything including the GB update. I clicked on the SD card option, and the update took about 90 minutes. The online update is now no longer running.

So instead of it taking 2 weeks to download about 50% of the UK, Ireland, Greenland and Iceland, I've now updated the whole region in 90 minutes (not counting the computer time it took to download 26 gb onto my SD card). That should be useful if ever I'm lost in Kyrgistan or Mongolia.

I decided to download all of the rest of Western Europe and put that onto the SD card. I just plugged it into the reader slot in the armrest box and away it all went. Interestingly, because the car was moving, the first 85% took well over an hour, the last 15% which hadn't completed when I arrived home took a few minutes whilst the car was stationary with the ignition on. BTW, anybody know if you can upload music to the car from an SD Card?? My Jag used to do it easily. Mind you, my Jag would allow me to use personalised POI's. The one thing I am disappointed with in the E350!

I decided to download all of the rest of Western Europe and put that onto the SD card. I just plugged it into the reader slot in the armrest box and away it all went. Interestingly, because the car was moving, the first 85% took well over an hour, the last 15% which hadn't completed when I arrived home took a few minutes whilst the car was stationary with the ignition on. BTW, anybody know if you can upload music to the car from an SD Card?? My Jag used to do it easily. Mind you, my Jag would allow me to use personalised POI's. The one thing I am disappointed with in the E350!

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to upload material to the car's HDD. This was easy when I had my 5 series - you could also transfer audio CDs to the HDD.
I bought an SSD (solid state drive) 120GB, £70 from Amazon (Transcend). I've put my whole iTunes library and a bunch of films on that and left it plugged into the e220d. It's very small, so it doesn't take up much room at all in the compartment. As far as I can see (after a short play) the best way to find stuff in the folders (Music & Video in my case) is to go into "search" and look for er, Folders.
Could you please explain where to go for map update downloads?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom