What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two nice, simple jobs to mine today - first, a new battery fitted. I can't believe how much quicker the engine spins over now - looks like the one I took off was the original Merc-branded Varta, 13 years old! I went with an Exide EA1000 at £88 delivered. Just had to reset the windows and roof, no other issues, so was happy.....other than nearly putting my back out as they're so bloody heavy! :)

Oh, and I reattached the damper on the glovebox lid, courtesy of a how-to I found on here somewhere. Very satisfying indeed! :D

Pete

My eldest complains the rear seats are uncomfortable on long distances in my wife’s new convertible. I think it’s because he wants to sit in the front all the time.

Anyhow, she’s now customised the back thanks to Cheater Zoo shop!

a64b56462920dbff1588bcb7754bb729.jpg

I rate the Exide battery highly. It has plenty of energy inside it. I have to pump up a soft rear tyre again which suggests work pending but I have hacked the instrument cluster to sort out the dim MFD. The sensor lies behind the rev counter and may simply be shorted to get the display much brighter. I don't mind it being bright at night so I haven't replaced it with a pot or a switch. The voltage drops to zero across it when fully illuminated so there is no risk doing this and while the panel is out, the diffuser and carrier may be cleaned up as well.

Fitted my dash cam to the SL. After figuring out how to remove the top panel the rest was easy peasy.
Access to the fuse box from the inside of the car was surprisingly easy and the lead supplied from Nextbase simply plugs in.

Bugger bugger bugger! Giving the wife’s car a quick jet wash to clear all the stuff that had fallen off the trees. As I’m jet washing the door sill, mud splashed up all over the door card.

That’s been easily cleaned but I can’t get the grime out of the speaker grill. Any ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a full B service, then went for a spin on some exciting B roads with spectacular views of the Brecon Beacons.

Not a bad price for a B.

That would be £400-£450 at the dealer.

Continued breaking a C124. Removed rear headrests, headrest locking mechanisms, rear interior panels, b pillar panels, rear windows, window actuators, door chrome, window seals, seat belt butlers.

Back hurts!

Bugger bugger bugger! Giving the wife’s car a quick jet wash to clear all the stuff that had fallen off the trees. As I’m jet washing the door sill, mud splashed up all over the door card.

That’s been easily cleaned but I can’t get the grime out of the speaker grill. Any ideas!

Cut the trees down ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad price for a B.

That would be £400-£450 at the dealer.

That was just the gearbox which MB wanted £414 to do. I had the B service done a couple of weeks ago at £292. The whole lot at MB was over £700. A nice saving and they're only 5 mins away. All updated on the digital service record which has also reactivated Mobilo.

Done nothing for the last week and a bit as sunning myself in Cuba.....

Had a slow puncture and took it for what I thought was a nail repair, ended up with some damage on the inside wall and had to change it (when I got the car it had budgets on it so wanted to get decent tyres on when they had worn out)

Unfortunately the only non budget tyre they had was the Merc approved/fitted Continental Sport Contact 3 which is more expensive and lower performing than what I wanted (wanted Bridgestone Turanza T005 or Dunlops - both cheaper and better performing, quieter, etc).

So, I paid too much to have a tyre fitted I didn't want in the first place. And then in a week or two I'll change the (newish) budget tyre from the other side and replace that with another tyre that I don't really want

But hey at least it won't explode while doing 70mph.

Last edited:
I cleaned both my car and the wife's at the weekend.

And have been been trying to revert to doing all the short urban hops in the Clio to save the Merc from all the cold starts.

It's so tempting to take the E all but it's overkill.

Sold the 190E today. It's been advertised for a few weeks but not necessarily in the best places. I haven't really had much interest apart from one or two time-wasters but the guy who eventually bought it actually came over from Ireland this morning and is now on his way back with it.

At Milford.jpg

I'm sorry to see it go but I'd gone as far as I wanted to go with it. It's now time for a new owner to appreciate it a bit and use it, which is more than I was doing with it.

Now for phase 2 of the master plan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom