• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Does the group you drive with use Google Maps for routes? If they do then I can imagine having Car Play will make it easier for accepting waypoints along the way.
Yeah Rob, that was the main drive for carplay. It would have been very helpful when driving in Switzerland. Too much trouble trying to accept waypoints on a phone when trying to look at such amazing scenery. I'm expecting some breathtaking sites over the next few days too.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it. How does it connect as an audio source, is it through a USB port? How is the audio quality?
Another option for you to consider Mr D: Aftermarket Carplay options for 2010 E-Class (S212) with NTG4 | Electronics and Audio

I believe all these units operate in a similar way - they use Bluetooth to make an initial connection, and thereafter they use wifi for the audio transmission. And they'll have a wired USB option too.

Today - Reset the Service Indicator on the W211 E280 cdi Estate at just over 200,000 miles

Today, watched the wife clean and polish the CLC, including getting all the tar and bird poo off. She’s very good at it, very thorough.

So sorry to hear that. It sounds like they’re doing the right thing, so hopefully it will be all above board.
Got the car back today with a replacement gearbox fitted and serviced. All seems well except that they have forgotten to refit the cover on top of the dipstick tube. I’ll lay off driving it until it’s replaced.
A big plus point is that the wheels, which were the original task, look great.

Got the car back today with a replacement gearbox fitted and serviced. All seems well except that they have forgotten to refit the cover on top of the dipstick tube. I’ll lay off driving it until it’s replaced.
A big plus point is that the wheels, which were the original task, look great.
Glad to hear it is just about sorted 👍🏻

Installed an Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 carplay kit to the GTc.
Works a treat. Mostly needed/wanted for Google maps and Waze, but other apps will be used to enhance everyday motoring.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it. How does it connect as an audio source, is it through a USB port? How is the audio quality?

The carplay kit connects with your phone via bluetooth or the additional USB cable that I ran from under the centre console / transmission tunnel into the centre storage armrest.

I literally installed the kit, had a quick test run and parked the car in the garage so I haven't had any experience with it as of yet. Tomorrow, I'm off for a three day blast around south west Scotland (with another 25 cars) so I'll have a good few hours of carplay under my belt when I return, I'll report any pros/cons.

To keep carplay related posts to a carplay thread, I replied here.

To keep carplay related posts to a carplay thread, I replied here.
Nice one, thank you 👍🏻

Finally got the breakfast that I went out for nearly a week ago! Willoughby cafe on the A45 in Willoughby. "Greasy spoon" style cafe but good value and good food 🤗

Up and out early for a 300 mile round trip with Baby D to visit the Hampton Court Palace Concours of Elegance. It’s the first time I’ve driven so close to London since the Congestion Charge and LEZ/ULEZ has been in place!

Weapon of choice was Baby D’s second choice, the SLK, which is fast becoming my favourite for boys-only road trips like this. Fun to drive and comfortable for long distances, also tiny so less of a concern when parking somewhere unknown.

It should be a bit thirsty being a 5.4 litre with a
supercharger plonked on top, and not helped by more aggressive cams, associated remap, etc, but the trip computer didn't seem to get the memo. Whenever we use it we see incredible MPG figures.

Around 6h 20m in the car, and the trip computer suggested that we achieved a ridiculous 37.6 MPG on the way and an overall average of 36.1 MPG when we arrived home. A brim to brim calculation confirms that the trip computer is hugely optimistic!

1725215592082.jpeg

1725215540318.jpeg

Up and out early for a 300 mile round trip with Baby D to visit the Hampton Court Palace Concours of Elegance. It’s the first time I’ve driven so close to London since the Congestion Charge and LEZ/ULEZ has been in place!

Weapon of choice was Baby D’s second choice, the SLK, which is fast becoming my favourite for boys-only road trips like this. Fun to drive and comfortable for long distances, also tiny so less of a concern when parking somewhere unknown.

It should be a bit thirsty being a 5.4 litre with a
supercharger plonked on top, and not helped by more aggressive cams, associated remap, etc, but the trip computer didn't seem to get the memo. Whenever we use it we see incredible MPG figures.

Around 6h 20m in the car, and the trip computer suggested that we achieved a ridiculous 37.6 MPG on the way and an overall average of 36.1 MPG when we arrived home. A brim to brim calculation confirms that the trip computer is hugely optimistic!

View attachment 160644

View attachment 160643
Mr D, you're going to have to get a BMW if you persist in parking in such a manner 😃

I changed the water pump on my 1984 W123. What a job! with an old classic you think you know how to do stuff: check valve clearances, spark plug gaps, change engine and gearbox oils and so on. But when bolts shear because they are steel running through aluminium castings such as the water pump it takes a different set of skills. There was a lot of grunting and technical thought employed in order not to damage a mating surface that you will later require to be smooth. Then when I had got the pump assembly off I had to take it to an engineering workshop to borrow a bearing puller to get the electromagnet off the pump shaft. It was so stuck on that it bent the housing a bit but one of their tools did eventually extract it - again, steel corroded on to aluminium. I managed to un-bend it using Thor The Mighty Hammer. Then on reassembly of course the radiator cowling wouldn't pass the fan hub without digging into the matrix but a bit of thought and a jigsaw removed the unnecessary half inch of lower cowl and it fitted smoothly. I wonder why MB didn't make the cowl so it fits easily?
As an aside I'm just back from Germany and I went to the UniMog museum at Gaggenau and had a test ride in one. It will seemingly drive effortlessly up a vertical wall. The obstacles it went over were very impressive and the cutaway gearboxes in the museum were quite astonishing

Looks like a proper job! What’s that canister thing (excuse my ignorance)
If you mean that white container with handle on top with a tube running out of it, thats an oil suction pump.
Remove the dipstick, push the tube down to the bottom of the sump and pump all the oil out. Saves removing the engine undertray and sump bolt.
I'm too old to be crawling under cars now.

If you mean that white container with handle on top with a tube running out of it, thats an oil suction pump.
Remove the dipstick, push the tube down to the bottom of the sump and pump all the oil out. Saves removing the engine undertray and sump bolt.
I'm too old to be crawling under cars now.
Ah I see, I wasn’t aware they existed. Appreciate the explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom