• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Travelled a mahoooosive 6 meters, washed, dried & waxed the car. Reversed another 6 meters, hoovered and cleaned the inside. Then closed garage door. Managed an incredible MPG and felt fresh as a daisy after the long journey.
You want to be careful ; you don't want to wear out all those nice new parts you've had put on it.

Last edited:
Took the SL round to a mates this morning, the brakes were binding on his series land rover, so we stripped and rebuilt the brakes all round and adjusted the master cylinder, bleed then and as good as new! Well, as good as series land rover brakes get 🤣

Went to the Penshurst car show today near Tonbridge in Kent. In conversation with the members of the Mercedes Owner's Club there & they asked me to put my CLS on show in their show area. Just typical that I hadn't cleaned it in weeks lol.

Attachments

• 455939097_10230065245468088_1615745928206426693_n.jpg
    455939097_10230065245468088_1615745928206426693_n.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 455715590_10230065245948100_6462616569148124983_n.jpg
    455715590_10230065245948100_6462616569148124983_n.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 455948961_10230065244708069_7594288864078549217_n.jpg
    455948961_10230065244708069_7594288864078549217_n.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 16
SLK. 350 R172

Did the major service on the car all Mercedes parts.

Also replaced oil breather valve at back of engine

Oh the joy !
Not too certain if anybody's interested but I used original Mercedes spark plugs and the indexing seem to be off but exactly the same as the Mercedes plugs that came out.

If looking at the spark plugs from the driver's side of the car staring into the engine bay the open electrode center was pointing at 9 o'clock and looking from the passenger side of the car they were also pointing at 9 o'clock.

According to the Mercedes indexing bulletin they are all out by about five degrees not going to lose any sleepover it.

Pictures are in the photos link.

Took a clean one for a drive into the Peak District in a nice (ish) but grey summer evening. Whilst eating dinner the Peak District did what the Peak District does and in a matter moments plunged into a cross between deep mid winter and Armageddon, so we drove home in fog and driving rain. Not so clean now…

Today I replaced the little plastic 'driver brackets' that hold the rear panoramic sunshade. The old ones had evidently broken, and been glued, but they'd broken again, so the sunshade wouldn't close. New ones were readily available, but it looked for sure as though the headlining had to come out, so I was going to just live without a working sunshade. But I found a post on MBWorld that suggested it could be done without removing the headlining, so I bought the parts and had a crack at it.

It was a bit of a fight, and I had to flex the headlining more than I really wanted to, but that post was right - it CAN be done with the headlining in situ :)

IMG_5029.jpg

Went to meet up with an old mate for breakfast at our usual cafe, 30 odd miles away. Got there to find out it was closed, bank holiday Monday! Tried back-up cafe only to find that closed too, so I came home and had some toast! Lots of miles but not too bad a drive.

Installed an Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 carplay kit to the GTc.
Works a treat. Mostly needed/wanted for Google maps and Waze, but other apps will be used to enhance everyday motoring.

Rear subframe replacement, rear corroded brakelines replaced and transmission service. £££ still needing to be deployed to get the car into proper state

Installed an Integrated Automotive IMI-1000 carplay kit to the GTc.
Works a treat. Mostly needed/wanted for Google maps and Waze, but other apps will be used to enhance everyday motoring.
I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it. How does it connect as an audio source, is it through a USB port? How is the audio quality?

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it. How does it connect as an audio source, is it through a USB port? How is the audio quality?
I done a little bit of research before choosing this particular model and what I found was that along with the GTA kit, Integrated Automotive was one of the better options available. I'm certainly no audio guru but IMO the sound quality is no different to streaming audio via bluetooth under normal conditions.
The carplay kit connects with your phone via bluetooth or the additional USB cable that I ran from under the centre console / transmission tunnel into the centre storage armrest.

I literally installed the kit, had a quick test run and parked the car in the garage so I haven't had any experience with it as of yet. Tomorrow, I'm off for a three day blast around south west Scotland (with another 25 cars) so I'll have a good few hours of carplay under my belt when I return, I'll report any pros/cons.

I done a little bit of research before choosing this particular model and what I found was that along with the GTA kit, Integrated Automotive was one of the better options available. I'm certainly no audio guru but IMO the sound quality is no different to streaming audio via bluetooth under normal conditions.
The carplay kit connects with your phone via bluetooth or the additional USB cable that I ran from under the centre console / transmission tunnel into the centre storage armrest.

I literally installed the kit, had a quick test run and parked the car in the garage so I haven't had any experience with it as of yet. Tomorrow, I'm off for a three day blast around south west Scotland (with another 25 cars) so I'll have a good few hours of carplay under my belt when I return, I'll report any pros/cons.
That would be helpful, thank you.

Does the group you drive with use Google Maps for routes? If they do then I can imagine having Car Play will make it easier for accepting waypoints along the way.

That would be helpful, thank you.

Does the group you drive with use Google Maps for routes? If they do then I can imagine having Car Play will make it easier for accepting waypoints along the way.

Have a great time, and don’t forget to share some photos 👍🏻

Today I had my 'Lane Keeping Assist' camera calibrated at Kwik Fit! I bought the car with a known fault - every time the engine was started I would get a warning on the dashboard that the lane keeping assist function was inoperative. My iCarSoft code reader told me that the camera needed to be calibrated. After a few enquiries I realised I needed to find someone with an ADAS system and the necessary optical target to do the calibration.

Kwik Fit came up in my searches, and when I called for a quote I was told they'd do a free check to see if the camera needed to be replaced (which was a distinct possibility), so of course I was hooked. I took them up on that offer, and when they said the camera looked ok I paid them to do the calibration. 45 minutes and £165 later, it's done - no more error message on the dashboard.

I have to say, Kwik Fit exceeded my expectations in every way - friendly, courteous, knowledgable and capable, and decent value compared to other quotes that I'd had. I don't think I could have got better ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom