Will be washing my own car for the first time - what's the best / good quality shampoo, snow foam etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 159322
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi leeJV

Thank you for the in-depth recommendation of products

Just curious what do you think of the potential product I suggested
I assume you have used them too ?

Would you recommend them or no ?
Yes matey,I e used all the Autoglym Products, they are ok, but
The shampoo is not very slick and doesn't hold its suds very well, Price wise I think its over priced, but most Autoglym Products are, esp when compared to other brands that do a better job
Same goes for the SF and seal. Some like them some don't, alot comes down to personal preference.

As for the Dodo Juice, I've not tried any of their products, so it would be unfair for me to comment on those

As for drying the car, you dont need a water filter this time of year, you can rinse with an open ended hose to sheet the water off, then spritz some QD onto the panel and wipe down with a damp Drying towel.

Leaf blowers are great (eg DeWalt DCV 100) in conjunction with a good quality drying towel (eg Chemical Guys woolley mammoth). Zero spotting.

Somebody mentioned - open hosepipe to rinse off......my preferred method, until it freezes on the panels.......that is the hint that too cold to wash the car!

Somehow I never seem to have the time these days to go to the lengths (or obtain the stunning results) that some of the serious car washers here achieve.
However, my go-to regular use product and secret weapon is this stuff:
sonax bsd.jpg

Meguairs shampoo with a lambs wool mop, Karcher vac on the windows & Megs ultimate drying towel on the body, not expansive gear & easily available from Halfrauds.

Yes matey,I e used all the Autoglym Products, they are ok, but
The shampoo is not very slick and doesn't hold its suds very well, Price wise I think its over priced, but most Autoglym Products are, esp when compared to other brands that do a better job
Same goes for the SF and seal. Some like them some don't, alot comes down to personal preference.

As for the Dodo Juice, I've not tried any of their products, so it would be unfair for me to comment on those
Thanks for that

Personally I thought they were reasonably priced, but I haven't worked out pence per wash / quantity etc

I'll look at your list of products and end up buying those.

I'm looking for ease of use, good wash, doesn't take alot of time ,
And good value for what it can do.

My needs would be doing the foam wash every 2 weeks and that's it , no proper wash after this (quick wash )

Every 3rd week ill start of with a pre wash snow foam, then wash with MIT's and do the 2 bucket method to give it a good clean.

Every couple of months I'd give the car a polish and also usethe clay bar aswell

What products would you recommend based on my potential washing method ?

As for the internal dashboard **** pit etc
What can I use to achieve the new car fresh look ?
Don't want that shiny finish
I've got a lot of that aluminium sort of thing , chrome plastic air vents and piano gloss around the centre console

I'm gonna be placing my order tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again for your help

Thanks for that

Personally I thought they were reasonably priced, but I haven't worked out pence per wash / quantity etc

I'll look at your list of products and end up buying those.

I'm looking for ease of use, good wash, doesn't take alot of time ,
And good value for what it can do.

My needs would be doing the foam wash every 2 weeks and that's it , no proper wash after this (quick wash )

Every 3rd week ill start of with a pre wash snow foam, then wash with MIT's and do the 2 bucket method to give it a good clean.

Every couple of months I'd give the car a polish and also usethe clay bar aswell

What products would you recommend based on my potential washing method ?

As for the internal dashboard **** pit etc
What can I use to achieve the new car fresh look ?
Don't want that shiny finish
I've got a lot of that aluminium sort of thing , chrome plastic air vents and piano gloss around the centre console

I'm gonna be placing my order tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again for your help
Hey buddy

As for your way you want to wash the car
For your 2 weekly quick wash, I would use a citrus prewash, then cover that in SF, allow to dwell for a long as possible then power rinse off. Wash your windows with a contact wash mitt and towel dry those.
If your doing a contact less wash by weekly then dont use any drying towel on the paint as this will cause marring to the paint. Simply sheet the water off with an open ended hose, and blow dry the remaining areas or use a DI vessel.

Then for your contact wash start with the same process. Citrus and Foam,
Power rinse, then mix 10/20ml of shampoo with 300ml of water in to your faom cannon. Coat 1 side of the with it, then use your wash mitts.rinse the mitt throughout with either water in a bucket or your pressure washer after contact with each panel.
Repeat again for the other side, and so on.

If you look into the Multti mitt method, this is my preference over every other method as it negates the need for any buckets of water, it's far safer and faster.

As for interior cleaning, if you want a matt finish look at Angelwax interior trim Gel or Aenso interior dressing, use a very soft detail brush to loosen the dust and vac away. If you have black gloss trim do not touch it with a vac or dry brush as it will mark it. Simply spritz the interior Detailer on to a very soft microfiber towel or noodle wash mitt and wipe over with no pressure, then use a second plush towel to buff away and streaking.

Hey buddy

As for your way you want to wash the car
For your 2 weekly quick wash, I would use a citrus prewash, then cover that in SF, allow to dwell for a long as possible then power rinse off. Wash your windows with a contact wash mitt and towel dry those.
If your doing a contact less wash by weekly then dont use any drying towel on the paint as this will cause marring to the paint. Simply sheet the water off with an open ended hose, and blow dry the remaining areas or use a DI vessel.

Then for your contact wash start with the same process. Citrus and Foam,
Power rinse, then mix 10/20ml of shampoo with 300ml of water in to your faom cannon. Coat 1 side of the with it, then use your wash mitts.rinse the mitt throughout with either water in a bucket or your pressure washer after contact with each panel.
Repeat again for the other side, and so on.

If you look into the Multti mitt method, this is my preference over every other method as it negates the need for any buckets of water, it's far safer and faster.

As for interior cleaning, if you want a matt finish look at Angelwax interior trim Gel or Aenso interior dressing, use a very soft detail brush to loosen the dust and vac away. If you have black gloss trim do not touch it with a vac or dry brush as it will mark it. Simply spritz the interior Detailer on to a very soft microfiber towel or noodle wash mitt and wipe over with no pressure, then use a second plush towel to buff away and streaking.

Morning pal

And great info thanks

Couple of questions
1) Simply sheet the water off with an open ended hose ?

What do you mean by this ?
Don't use the power washer ? Just use the water straight from the hose ?

2) blow dry the remaining areas or use a DI vessel.

Blow dry - people saying only go down this root if your using a water purifier otherwise I will get water marks?

What is a di vessel.

Is there a product that I can use that will give the car a nice polish look after the foam was (when doing the quick contactless wash ) ?

Thanks

It does create crazy levels of beading doesn
Somehow I never seem to have the time these days to go to the lengths (or obtain the stunning results) that some of the serious car washers here achieve.
View attachment 106457

View attachment 106457
Is this product spayed on at the very last ?
Spray and leave ? Or wash off?

And is this like a polish ?

@LeeJV

Regarding the shampoo as much as you have highly recommended the bolt hamber shampoo
I think I'm probably going to go with autoglym shampoo and conditioner

As reading about it it does not contain any conditioner or anything of this nature
Which probably would mean if using this product I will then have to apply some sort of conditioner ?

Where as the autoglym it's all in 1

As for everything else I think I will be going on your recommendation as after finding info in them they are genuinely good products

Is this product spayed on at the very last ?
Spray and leave ? Or wash off?

And is this like a polish ?
It’s sprayed on the final dry paintwork and wiped off with a dry cloth . No , it’s not a polish , polish is to prepare paint for the final coat , like wax (or in this case Sonax BSD )

I also like this but found I haven't used it as much since finding the ultimate lazy QD which is Polar Seal.
One capful e.g. 10ml or so in a snow foam bottle of water if enough for a month or so protection.

BSD is also a bit 'grabby' but I like the results.
Another option I have seen recommended is the latest Turtle Wax one (I know - Turtle Wax).

Shampoo doesn't require a conditioner, it's a term that means it maintains and conditions the wax or coating that you have, it's mainly designed to work with thier SRP and EGP.

If you want to try it, give it a go, but maybe buy a small bottle if you can
Here are some reviews on some other really good shampoos

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Loool

Defo won't be going to that extent

Just got told that if using air blower it will leave water marks
So best to use a jumbo towel
Seen one from chemical guys used it was massive and 1 wipe of it drys it
To avoid water marks you need a DI vessel. That list is still growing! 😁

PRE WASH
Detail Driven Supplies Citrus Prewash 20/1 for average soiling 10/1 for heavy soiling.
Bh Surfex HD, APC very similar dilution rates to the citrus-pre-wash and great results

QD
Garage therapy
Carpro Elixir
Wowo's QD
Koche Chemie FSE.
Both work very well and great as a drying aid too.

Sealant.
If your after quick and easy.
Spray and rinse products
gyeon wetcoat
CARPRO Hydro 2 Light
CARBON COLLECTIVE

.all of the above I have personally used and tested against dozens of others and found these to be my favourite.
Hey LeeJV

Hope you and everyone else had a good Christmas.

I've added all the product's you have recommended

Just got questions about QD
Initially I thought this was abbreviated for quick dry - but after googleing it mean quick detailing lool

I don't really understand what this product is used for ? Doesn't these do similar job to sealants ?

And when do I apply this ? Before sealants or after?

And which one in your opinion is the one to buy ? The koche chemie seems to be highly recommended.

As for quick sealants again in your opinion which would you say to buy?

A few reviews prefer the carpro hydro 2 over the gyeon wet coat as it beads water alot more
But I've come across a lot reviews or negatives about this product that it smears a lot-
Don't want anything thats hard work to use!
Gyeon wet coat has excellent reviews but just doesn't bead the water as much as carpro

As for prewash I'm gonna buy the BH surfex hd its far more cheaper than the detail driven supplies citrus for 5 litre

LeeJV

I forgot to ask what leather cleaner should I use ?
I don't want cream as such something to give it a quick wipe so the seats / door panels and dashboard looks nice and clean
Don't thing i need conditioner etc

Is it OK to use angelwax angel gel on the aluminium silver looking plastic trims on dashboard and steering wheel
I guess its OK to use on the black piano finish plastic bits too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok buddy
QD.
You can use this in different ways
The initial purpose of the product is to be used after a wash to add some sparkle and light protection after your wash process, and also acts as a sacrificial layer over your sealant or protection.
I mainly use QD as a drying aid, so you would spritz some onto a wet panel or a damp drying towel to add lubrication to the drying process. Esp in warmer weather. It's great on pretty much all surfaces inc glass.
Its applied after your main protection.
Koche Chemi FSe is mainly designed to remove water Mark's on the glass and paintwork, but it doesnt add any protection, it's a little acidic so can weaken your protection on the paint. But you wont need to use it that much, I bottle should last you at least a year if not more.

SPRAY sealant. My preferred is the Hyro2 light as its is more durable than Gyeon wetcoat.they are both very good products.
Some people complain of Streaking due to over applying the product or using in direct sunlight.
I've found that the best way to apply it is onto a damp panel. Spread evenly over the panel then buff off or power wash off. Then towel dry.
If your going to use Carpro Hydro then buy Carpro Elixir or Carpro Ech20 as your Qd. CARPRO Ech20 is a concentrated product and can be diluted to suit your needs. 1/20 as drying aid. 1/15 as a QD on a dry panel, is also great in the sun and wont streak in warmer weather

ANGELWAX Angel. It's safe on all plastics and trims, very lubricated and doesnt require buffing, but dont over use apply it as it will streak. Found it best applied with a slight damp applicator.

Leather Cleaner
Koche chemie PO. This works for leather, articio, Alcantara etc. Again is a concentration so can be diluted in to spray bottle. It will clean and protect the leather in one step.

A good product to use is gyeon bathe + puts a mild ceramic coating on your paint that lasts for about 2-3 months, bottle is £30 you will get about 20 washes out of a bottle and you use it as you would car shampoo, get a microfibre wash mit and only dip it in the top of the bucket as you won't pick up the grit at the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom