Yorkshire YOMP 2012 - Driving Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i had an excellent day as well, was nice meeting you all. good driving roads and a nice day for it.
had to go a bit early as old boy was playing golf.

Hi all.

What a great way to spend a day! The weather made the trip exceptional. I don't think I have ever seen the Peak District look more beautiful! There's no way it could have turned out better for us, apart from Ian's presence of course.

It was tough going around the West Yorks/Lancs borders on a Saturday morning, through the mill towns, but we prevailed! The scenery and driving roads more than made up for that.

Great to meet some new faces, namely BEJ, Mrs BEJ, gmanrangers and mate (Adam?), and the old familiar ones too. TJ - I hope your new venture into the world of 210s is suiting you!

Here are a couple of phone pics I took, to give you a taster for the better stuff when the pros report back.

Attachments

• One.jpg
    One.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 70
Having not seen a cloud all day, setting off for home from Sleights up towards the moors, I had not gone 1/4 mile before I ascended into this. Really strange!

That's quite normal - A169 does some funny stuff with weather.

Always fun when there is fog in the dips and your lights bounce off the top of the fog as you head down into it.

Glad you guys all enjoyed it and sorry I wasn't there but unfortunately my day did not get any better. As *** & Corned know I was going to pick you guys up somewhere after Richmond and spend the afternoon with you. However having worked all morning getting the garage back up and running (in a fashion) I came home to the news that whilst SWMBO thought she would do me a favour and fuel the MB for when I got home she ended up bending it smashing a rear alloy and rear arch in the process.

It's our 25th Wedding Anniversary in a month not sure we'll make it now and might be the divorce courts instead :D

Glad you guys all enjoyed it and sorry I wasn't there but unfortunately my day did not get any better. As *** & Corned know I was going to pick you guys up somewhere after Richmond and spend the afternoon with you. However having worked all morning getting the garage back up and running (in a fashion) I came home to the news that whilst SWMBO thought she would do me a favour and fuel the MB for when I got home she ended up bending it smashing a rear alloy and rear arch in the process.

It's our 25th Wedding Anniversary in a month not sure we'll make it now and might be the divorce courts instead :D

Your Wife is a bit of a motoring liability...time to trade...

DSCF0786.jpg

I think both Corned & DM's suggestions are both cracking ideas :D same old story too fast in the wrong situation and the equation is simple.

Speed - Ability = Mess

Seriously thinking of getting shut of the Audi though before she kills herself :rolleyes:

Ian - Sorry to hear of your woes.
I hope they nail some-one for the garage break-in.
Glad to hear that the day went well for those who did it.
Sad that I was over-committed with work this week.
I would have loved the drive.

For the record, my day went like this:

Total miles - 386

Avg MPG - 39.2

Ian - why not get the bent alloy plinth-mounted for her anniversary present? :D

hmm... 435 miles, 31mpg...

New signature pic!

Last edited:
Brilliant weekend with some excellent drives (Except the wrong route through Bradford)...
Cant say we thought much of the Plough that we sayed at..The room was borderline crap!! No wardrobe and No hangers and blisteringly hot..

We didnt bother with the hotel breakfast so we escaped first thing and made our way to Robin Hoods bay for Brekky.. I am soooo glad we did..

Last edited:
Another brilliant day (literally) with great company. I think all had an excellent day out hooning / pottering around the route which Ian put together. Sorry that Ian couldn't make on the day for various reasons, but his effort to map out the route was much appreciated. *** will no doubt add a major post with pictures, but here's some more to be going on with...

The Ladybower Inn was a really pleasant litlle place for the Friday night stop where BEJ & Mrs BEJ, *** and I stayed. Timskemp joined us next morning for breakfast:

DSC_4847.jpg

DSC_4852.jpg

I departed slightly from the route to have a look at Oakworth station which was one of the main locations for the 1970's children's movie 'The Railway Children'.

DSC_4878.jpg

DSC_4872.jpg

DSC_4883.jpg

I then rejoined the main group and we headed out here:

DSC_4891.jpg

On being advised that the Yorkshire style police were on alert about a youth seen cruising the area in non-MB approved clothing, *** keeps a wary eye on the horizon....

DSC_4922.jpg

One more of Robins Hood Bay

--------------------------------------------------
Later on the way home we made our way to Holmfirth (Last of the summer wine) and Lo and behold I managed to photo Nora Batty !!!
Look carefully and you will see her in the second photo..

Third photo is the infamous cafe from the Last of the summer wine series...

Last edited:
The next major event was lunch and we stopped at the Green Dragon where I had an excellent roast beef and (Giant sized) Yorkshire pudding.

DSC_4924.jpg

The next stop prompted the comment from me that it looked just like Scotland....to which *** replied it looked nothing like Scotland. The forum jury can decide....

DSC_4952.jpg

DSC_4939.jpg

Then we all met up at Helmsley for some excellent ice cream..

DSC_4960.jpg

I've not post processed any of these shots, the sky actually was that blue...

DSC_4963.jpg

This was parked outside one of the restaurants / recreation areas we passed and both Corned and myself looked on with interest as we like aircraft in general and helicopters in particular..

DSC_3189.jpg

The locals didn't seem that bothered though...

DSC_4976.jpg

Then it was off to Sleights where we all gathered at the Inn where some of the group were staying that evening. We had a very pleasant meal together recounting of our adventures throughout the day.

DSC_4980.jpg

The weather could not have been better for us and we all had a great time. Thanks again to Ian for organising the route and to all the participants for making this a really great day out.

The next major event was lunch and we stopped at the Green Dragon where I had an excellent roast beef and (Giant sized) Yorkshire pudding.

DSC_4924.jpg

Looks like Corned was going for the Drive Through option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom