C63 brake disc change caliper bolt question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robinc

Car
C63 estate
Hi All - Planning on doing a full disc change on my facelift C63 as they are getting close to service limit. It has standard steel discs and grey calipers.

Anybody know the following?

Front caliper retaining bolt size & torque setting?
Torx disc retaining screw size?

Rear caliper retaining bolt size & torque setting?
Torx disc retaining screw size?

Just checking if I need any additional sockets or spanners.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery so you don't lose any fingers

Don't forget to disconnect the battery so you don't lose any fingers ?de2c

The C63 never had the sbc system so no need to worry about pistons suddenly moving.

Hi , Tip , you will need new bolts .If they have not been off before .Some can be a pain to remove,and damage can happen to the bolt head . Use a new spanner it will have no wear in the jaws..I dont think it will come to the point that you are unable to move the caliper retaining bolts . On my caliper i had to use a bottle jack under the bolt, it was that hard to remove by hand.This trick worked for me. And on re fitting use a thread lock paste on the bolts.And as for torque settings some one with a manual will help you ,i am sure.

The bottle jack tip now that is a cracker! Also like your idea of using new spanner. Thank you.

I intended to replace them anyhow, I learnt that a long time ago on a set of fancy AP stoppers.Rounded head...Enter lots of swearing and what should have taken a hour took all day.

I am guessing at least 150Nm for the fronts & 100Nm for the rears. The torx screw can be done by feel.

Does any one have the service manual detailing torque settings?

Taken from MB World forum.
I doubt torque settings are much different for the C63 of a later model. 150nm is very very tight!

Mercedes C Class Petrol and Diesel from Sept 2000 to May 2007

ABS wheel sensor retaining bolts............................Nm - lb/ft
Front Sensor .................................................. ....25 - 18
Rear Sensor .................................................. ......8 - 6
Brake disc retaining screw......................................10 - 7
Caliper unions .................................................. ...18 - 13
All other pipe unions............................................ ..14 - 10
Caliper bleed screws............................................ . 7 - 5
Front Caliper mounting bracket to steering knuckle .....115 - 85
Front guide pin bolts............................................. .25 - 18
Master cylinder mounting nuts...................................20 - 15
Parking brake cable bolts........................................20 - 15
Parking foot pedal bolts..........................................12 - 9
Rear Brake caliper mounting bolts.............................55 - 41
Road wheel Bolts............................................. .....110 - 81
Servo unit mounting nuts.......................................15 - 11
Servo unit vacuum hose union nut...........................30 - 22
Vacuum pump mounting bolts..................................14 - 10

Both front & rear pistons just push back. Never push back further than required to insert a new pad or in some cases this can lead to caliper over-return & a low pedal. Crack open bleed screw when pushing pistons back. Failure to do this can damage the ABS block.

Those figures must be too low for the type of caliper fitted to the C63 based on my experience of brembo and Ap 4 and 6 pot calipers fitted to a variety of cars. The numbers are probably ok for non opposing pot type caliper. I will see if MB dealer can advise to be sure .

WIS has for 204.077/277/377, 'self locking bolt, brake caliper to steering knuckle' M14 and 180Nm. 10 Nm for 'locking bolt, brake disc of front wheel to wheel hub'

For the rear, 'self locking bolt, brake caliper to wheel carrier', 115 Nm. 10 Nm for the safety bolt, disk to flange.

PS EPC for 204.277 has rear caliper bolt as M12, 1.5x35 (A 018 990 00 01), front as M14x32 (A 001 990 08 14).

Last edited:
If you are using decent ring spanners or sockets then there should be no reason to round off the heads of bolts/nuts:confused:

Unless you are track racing your car I wouldn't worry about using new caliper bolts.

Thanks that is a lot of the front ones!

It is isn't it. I checked again this morning just to make sure I hadn't misread the value.

If you would like pdfs of the WIS instructions for replacing front and rear discs and pads, just send me your email address in a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom