Cambelt Change Position on buying a car from a motor dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
I might have missed something as part of our recent purchase of a RX300 regarding the cambelt. Car is a mid 2004 reg and according to the lexus service book which i've now read the cambelt should be changed every 100k miles or 10 years. I have no proof it has been done despite an extensive service history, car has done 79k miles should the dealer have changed the cambelt prior to sale as it is past the manufacturers stated change timescale?

Would appreciate guidance from those in the know regarding this.

Thanks

Paul

I would say yes , but some dealers will try their hardest to avoid spending money . If there's no proof it has been done , then you have to assume it hasn't .

They may try to fob you off that the mileage is lower than the specified interval , but these have a time interval too because the belts can perish over time - just like tyres .

At the end of the day , if the dealer refuses to pay , it will be worth getting done at your own cost as it is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild if it fails .

When you say dealer, do you mean a Lexus dealer (I'm assuming) or a second hand motor trader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You use the word dealer and manufacturer so presumably you bought from an independent dealer.

Is the dealer obliged to or even should have changed the cambelt? I think you are expecting too much for them to do that unless you expressly make it part of the deal. The dealers job is to sell you a car not walk cars through a manufacturer service schedule.

I think you are expecting too much for them to do that unless you expressly make it part of the deal. The dealers job is to sell you a car not walk cars through a manufacturer service schedule.

I agree. Especially as the car is 11.5yrs old so presumeably didn't cost very much - the cost of changing the cambelt would probably result in the dealer losing money.

A lot does depend on the price paid and the description - if it was sold at a premium price and advertised as having full manufacturers service history , then it should have had everything done as per manufacturers instructions .

If a bargain priced motor from a back street trader then perhaps not .

It is certainly worth the OP challenging the seller over this - they might just do it , but if they don't then it is worth getting it done at a cost to himself .

Its a service item... Dealer doesnt have to ensure each and every service item is done up to date, unless that is what the buyer has agreed.

They just have to ensure its fit for purpose and good quality. Servicing the car comes down to the buyer.

Its something that should have been negotiated into the deal at time of purchase.

Maybe a bit late now to complain.. something which should have been checked prior to purchase probably.

just an update on this, wrote to the dealer advised him the cambelt was 18 months past replacement date (Lexus is 100k or 10 years) and has he had stated quite clearly in his advert that the service history was complete with every receipt and mot the cambelt should have been changed based on the trade description he had applied to the vehicle at sale.

He called me, said he understood that it was 100k miles but had investigated and realised his error and agreed to pay for the belt and tensioner (if required) to be changed. Best of all he's agreed that Lexus can do the work.

Delighted.

work done and paid for however Lexus (surprise surprise) came up with a litany of doom and gloom about the car, a quick trip to our independent garage confirmed that the rear brakes are not working/operating and the handbrake is inoperative, I wonder how it passed its mot as you can push the car around with the handbrake fully on. The radiator is also shot and has been leaking for some time and had been bodged but likely rectification cost no where near the Lexus estimate. Awaiting a response from the dealer

Don't wish to worry you but, if you have the 1MZ-FE engine The water pump must also be replaced. The pump lifetime is not much more than idlers lifetime,and if this goes it
will take the belt out as it's driven from it.

martyz said:
Don't wish to worry you but, if you have the 1MZ-FE engine The water pump must also be replaced. The pump lifetime is not much more than idlers lifetime,and if this goes it will take the belt out as it's driven from it.

Appreciated, I did get the water pump changed, seemed daft not to.

Rx300 handbrakes are prone to not working. It's the fact they are Autos and usually driven by women and only use the Park and not the handbrake.
My Mrs car had the same problem, to be honest I don't even know if it's a handbrake or a foot brake as I've never used it either.
Her car is a 2004 with about 60k on the clock, I'm sure it's never had a belt, she's had it 8 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom