Losing my License

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About 5 years ago I got caught doing 63 through roadworks on the M8 (40 limit). I had to go to court and got 5 pts and a £250 fine.

From friends and colleagues who have had similar experiences:

Its going to be points and a hefty fine (over 300 wouldn't surprise me). If your licence is clean then you'll get about 6 I think.

Have a got a brief yet? Let me know if you need legal advice and I'll give you a guy's number. You may not like what he has to say, but it'll give you some peace of mind, which you clearly don't have right now.

I do sympathise with you, Vinay. What time of day was it?

Greg

PS - at least you hadn't been on the sauce....

No brief yet, was not intending to go with a lawyer.

It was at midnight on a 'A' road.

Maybe Guy has something to say on this subject? He is a solicitor after all! Maybe I should PM him...

Originally posted by Koolvin
Yes, insurance should be notified asap.

The contrary I believe.

I don't think you have to notify until you renew. Advise I was given at the time and is what I have done in the past. The same happens if your points expire 3 days after you renew - you still get the loaded premiuim.

KV
Sorry to hear of your situation. You may have read my post that I was indeed very lucky in that I managed to get off. I was doing 85 in a 50 and the copper I spoke to said that I was looking at a ban of months (3-6) and a large fine and points. I would say that fighting it will only make things worst, better to explain that you have clean lic and that it won t happen again and except the punishment. You will be alright and not worth losing sleep over.

Cheers and Good Luck
Ian

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
The contrary I believe.

I don't think you have to notify until you renew. Advise I was given at the time and is what I have done in the past. The same happens if your points expire 3 days after you renew - you still get the loaded premiuim.

The plod that pulled me over told me the 3 points wouldn't make any difference to the insurance - it did!

Thankfully mine expire in July (3 years) although you can't have them removed from your license for another year but insurance companies always ask have you been convicted in the last 5 years so should I keep telling them?

Koolvin,

Sorry to hear about that mate, just spoke to my mate at work and he was caught on the M1 doing 100.1 mph, he got a £660 fine and 6 points. I will talk to one of my good mates whos sis is a defence lawer to find out where you stand.

dont worry too much about it!

Originally posted by RichardM
Thankfully mine expire in July (3 years) although you can't have them removed from your license for another year but insurance companies always ask have you been convicted in the last 5 years so should I keep telling them?

Auto Express has a legal section. A while ago someone put this question. Their answer went along the lines of: if the points aren't on your license then it can't be proved that you ever had them.

The DVLA can't give the insurance companies that info as they're bound by the Data Protection Act. (I asked them)

There is the problem though of your insurance company possibly getting ****y if you make a claim.

Originally posted by simonl
There is the problem though of your insurance company possibly getting ****y if you make a claim.
Really there is the problem that if you don't tell the truth to your insurance company it is fraud, and they can choose to wipe your policy out if they find out.

I beg to differ. I have always fought and usually won on these things. Each time I plead guilty I get hammered.

Because you were doing 70 in a 40, that makes you +30mph over the limit, which is an automatic ban (this can be waived under certain circumstances). If say you challenged the accuracy of this figure and admitted to even 68 or 69 mph, then you do not get an automatic ban.....

Get calibration certificates and details of whether the officer was trained to operate the device + other factors that may have affected the reading. For instance.....A4 near Beachams, isnt that on a bend, could that speed not have been of a vehicle heading in the other direction if the device wasnt accurately aimed? What about glass fronted building in the vicinity that could have effected the signal.

Good luck in any event, whatever you do.

Koolvin,

Sorry...

You got (private) mail.

Guy

I didnt think that the laser guns were that accurate at night time ...

All the interference everywhere at night etc

Koolvin - bad luck m8.

I received a NIP this morning for allegedly doing 39 in a 30 - interesting, as it was on a road with 5 cameras, with which I am very familiar, at the bottom of a steep hill, , and just after the limit switches from 40 to 30. To top it off, the particular camera that appears to have "got" me was hidden behind a signpost. Grrrr. I was also early for an appointment that morning and was definitely not in a hurry, so paid particular attention to the cameras.

I'm thinking of challenging this one myself ! I know its only going to be 3 points & £60 at the end of the day if I don't bother contesting it, no chance of a court appearance (!) but I'm really wound up, nonetheless.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope the outcome is not too grim for you - some sound advice has been posted above in any case.

S.

Sym,

Don't sign the NIP.

It's a legal loophole. Completely unadmissable as evidence as it's not signed, and there's no legal requirement to sign it.

......yeah, I was reading up about that on the Pistonheads forum Kinky - there is a huuuuuuge thread about it - apparently the loophole has now been closed? The notes accompanying the NIP (well, mine anyway) specify that you must complete and sign it now ! (Don't know how legally binding that is though) - will certainly look into it some more before deciding what to do though.

S.

Vinny,

I know someone who is a Magistrate and they told me that in a 40mph zone, for 26-35mph over the limit, you're probably looking at 6 points and they can also consider disqualification between 14-56 days.

I found this Link that shows the guidelines.

Last edited:
K.,

Eek :eek:

I'm sorry to hear your bad news :( Let's hope they (the courts) take a lenient view to your case.

Sorry mate.

S.

Hi Koolvin,

My friend has checked the guidelines and this is what she said.

"The magistrates' sentencing guideline for speeding is: if the legal speed limit is 40-50 mph and the excess speed is from 26 -35 mph, then disqualification is up to 56 days. If not disqualified the the penalty points to be endorsed is likely to be 6. The fine is likely to be for such offence and that sort of excess speed: if net weekly income is £100, fine is £100 and if net weekly income is £130, fine is £130 and so forth. Obviously this is only a guideline and the court has a discretion not to follow. A discount will normally be given for guilty plea. I would say more then likely your friend will be disqualified, although he may be able to get it reduced to less than 56 days."

Regards,
swl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom