Losing my License

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have to tell the court how much you earn then?

Originally posted by RichardM
Do you have to tell the court how much you earn then?
Of course, the sentence is supposed to be a punishment, if you only got fined £20 then it'd not work.

My sister was done for driving without due care, and she was fined about £250 when only a student, seems harsh, but it's meant to teach you a lesson.

I thought you only had to do that if you were claiming low income, thankfully I haven't had to go through the court system (he says touching wood).

Sym,

re: signing the NIP - it's not a legal requirement.

They're just covering up by saying you must sign it.

It's all just veiled threats - nothing they can do.

As you say - there's a MASSIVE thread on it on Pistonheads - keep a close eye on it - as loads and loads more are not signing it - and it's interesting to see the various responses.

So much so that a premiership footballer is appealing against his ban - as he was done with an unsigned NIP - from what I've read he'll get off too !

Originally posted by RichardM
I thought you only had to do that if you were claiming low income, thankfully I haven't had to go through the court system (he says touching wood).

when i got summoned, they wanted to know what disposable income i had. it was all done very approximately - i didn't have to produce wage slips etc.

I paid over installments, by posted cheque each month just to make it hard. But as I was wrongly accused I got a full refund later on anyway!

I was doing 109 mph on the A303 near Andover about 6 months ago. Had to goto Basingstoke for court hearing - banned for 30 days with a £960.00 fine and a £500 barrister fee.

It hurt ! hopefully yours won't be as bad but the courts are treating speeding like murder these day.

The very best of luck

Steve

Originally posted by smij
I was doing 109 mph on the A303 near Andover about 6 months ago. Had to goto Basingstoke for court hearing - banned for 30 days with a £960.00 fine and a £500 barrister fee.

It hurt ! hopefully yours won't be as bad but the courts are treating speeding like murder these day.

The very best of luck

Steve

Do you think the barrister did any good? Was it worth spending the money on?

I would say Barrister worth their money.

I'm not a confident public speaker and this is where the barrister comes into play the most IMO as they know how to address the court etc and how to play the game. So yes most defintely.

The court actually read out a higher fine of £2100 but because of my case (which the barrister put together) and I pleaded guilty straight away they reduced it to £960.

If it wasn't for my Barrister I think I would of got 90 days and a £2500 fine judging by what other people have told me.

Koolvin, I have a friend who was a Policeman, he pointed his gun at a tree and it was doing 30 mph so ask for it to be checked

Originally posted by robert.farmer
Koolvin, I have a friend who was a Policeman, he pointed his gun at a tree and it was doing 30 mph so ask for it to be checked

rotflmao

Originally posted by Kinky
Sym,

So much so that a premiership footballer is appealing against his ban - as he was done with an unsigned NIP - from what I've read he'll get off too !

Sorry to rain on the parade but -

Dwight Yorke lost his appeal at Manchester Crown Court on exactly these grounds in Autumn of 2002.

My understanding of this is as follows -

The issue it relates to is who was driving the car at the time of the alleged offence. The argument put forward runs like this -

Since the document is unsigned, there is no evidence as to who was the author; therefore the information contained in the document is not properly admissible to prove who was driving.

Consequently, its not much use if you've been stopped and identified and given a producer.

It could only ever work when the car has not been stopped and there is no evidence available to the prosecution about who was driving - even that failed in the D. Y. case.

Koolvin.

Heed my advice from earlier in the thread, and get yourself represented by a brief who fully understands road traffic law, ask Guy to confirm, its a mine field and your every day solicitor could well be out of their depth, again i'm sure Guy will back this up.

With regards to NIP's, a verbal one will suffice, you don't need written ones any more.

GDC200.

Greg.

If Les has given you that info, then i'm afraid he's a bit out of touch.

I stand corrected Guy.

Thank you.

I suppose in some ways ... don't believe all you read.

K

Hello all,

I've only just discovered this forum by chance. I am hooked. Thank you all for the very high quality posting.

With regards the speeding issues, I can relate a personal experience form 1995. I was caught doing 76 mph in a 30 zone. I was on call for a Manchester hospital and was in route in attend to a stab wound to a police officer. Contacted a solicitor who confirmed that I was looking at an automatic ban. He would not attend the court with me (save you money he said) and advised me to take a taxi to court as I will not be able to drive on the way back. I argued my case in the court as best as I can. I got six points and a £320 fine.

Moral of the story, worst case senario may not materialise. Keep hope and prepare as best you can.

Steve

Steve,

Sorry to say - but that's like the pits.

So you poodle along legally at 30 mph - and he bleeds to death ... whos to blame?

[note Kinky getting more and more wound up and annoyed by absolutely stupid responses to life and death situations].

What's more important - a persons life or the speed limit?

GRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:
Kinky,

I totally agree. I suppose the magistrate felt guilty but had no choice but to impose a penalty. I forgot to mention that since then I have purchased a green flashing light (a.k.a Kojak) and I have no fear to speeding if I have to. I have not been stopped since so I don't know how this holds in court.

Steve

Koolvin,

No harm in getting as much advice as you can. These guys will give you a free 'consultation' by phone.

http://www.prycewoodrow.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom